PDA

View Full Version : Whats in a Name

3BadgeMarine
07-01-04, 04:42 AM
:) With your great day nearly upon us the 4th of July,just a thought about place names?.
I Live in the county of Lincoln,now thats a name to conjure with.My local town is Boston the original of course,a couple of Villages in my area, one springs to mind the village of New York? the village celibrates Independence day with a summer Fete,just an old English custom.On the road from New York to Boston another small reminder of your great past,the small Hamlet of Bunker's Hill,did the people of these villages sail with the pilgrim fathers,was it nostalgia to bring these names to the U.S.of A.
Boston was the the town where the Pilgrim Fathers stood trial for their beliefs and were imprisoned before they set sail for the New World.In Boston we have the Pilgrim centre the local Hospital goes by the name of the Pilgrim Hospital.
I shall of course make my way down to the Boston Docks,stand there and reflect on the past history,and maybe for the fun of it heave a couple of tea bags into the harbour.Aye JR:idea:

cjwright90
07-01-04, 07:53 AM
Nice post! :marine:

3BadgeMarine
07-01-04, 09:02 AM
I have posted this little tale some time ago,but fits in well with the 'Whats in a Name.

As early as 1740,England had raised four more battalions of 3.000 Marines for service against Spain. These men were known as "Gooch's Marines",after their leader Colonel William Gooch.In 1741 Gooch's Marines secured Guantanamo Bay,Cuba,as British Base.(US Marines landed and secured Guantanamo Bay,Cuba from the Spanish later in the June of 1890).Another name associated with Gooch's Marines Is Admiral Vernon RN,he was taken by a young Marine Officer to a home he had built at little Hunting Creek,Virginia; he called it 'Mount Vernon' after the Admiral.The officer was Lawrence Washington,and upon his death the home passed to his younger brother George Washington.Aye Jr

thedrifter
07-01-04, 09:11 AM
Great Read 3BadgeMarine

I will be waiting for my tea....;)

Ellie

Namvet67
07-01-04, 11:23 AM
Outstanding thoughts from a Royal Marine...Have a nice 4th

3BadgeMarine
07-03-05, 03:52 AM
:) As your great day draws near,just a reflection and resurrection of a post I made some time ago,Happy 4th of July.

And once again I will reflect on various name places which were taken by the 'Pilgrim' Fathers to the new World. Aye JR

Per Mare Per Terram......Semper Fidelis.

Joseph P Carey
07-06-05, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by 3BadgeMarine
I have posted this little tale some time ago,but fits in well with the 'Whats in a Name.

As early as 1740,England had raised four more battalions of 3.000 Marines for service against Spain. These men were known as "Gooch's Marines",after their leader Colonel William Gooch.In 1741 Gooch's Marines secured Guantanamo Bay,Cuba,as British Base.(US Marines landed and secured Guantanamo Bay,Cuba from the Spanish later in the June of 1890).Another name associated with Gooch's Marines Is Admiral Vernon RN,he was taken by a young Marine Officer to a home he had built at little Hunting Creek,Virginia; he called it 'Mount Vernon' after the Admiral.The officer was Lawrence Washington,and upon his death the home passed to his younger brother George Washington.Aye Jr

If I remember Gooch's Marines, they all practically died off in present day Columbia. The British were not kind to their Colonial troops. In the War of Jenkins's Ear, most of the Colonials were killed off by the diseases in the swaps around Cartagena, and by rotten food. By the time they were sent to to an island off of the coast of Honduras, there were only 300 left of the 61st Regiment of Foot (About 4 individual Companies), later they would be formed in with the 49th Regiment of Foot, and by the time they went home, there was only 60 or so of the original 3000 Gooch's Marines. Thanks for the memories!

The real funny thing about all of those names that originated in England, is that they became more famous as American names. Perhaps, that is what is in a name?

Spotswood's Regiment of Foot, formed in Virginia for sea service (the first colonial American regiment to serve in a foreign war); ranked as 61st Foot in British Regular Army
1st Battalion, raised from New England quotas, plus a company from North Carolina
2nd Battalion, raised from New York and New Jersey quotas, plus a company from North Carolina
3rd Battalion, raised from Pennsylvania and Delaware quotas, plus a company from North Carolina
4th Battalion, raised from Virginia and Maryland quotas, plus a company from North Carolina

3BadgeMarine
07-04-09, 10:39 AM
:thumbup: G-Day,Just thought I would like to resurrect the thread on the 4th of July and let you know that this 'Old Bootneck' is still about,once again I shall be making my way down to the Boston Harbour (the original) to partake in the yearly ritual of dumping a couple of tea bags into the harbour?,Have A great day and happy 4th of July.
Aye here's to us and those like us,Damm few left. JR

skipper72
07-04-09, 10:45 AM
Thank you, 3 Badge. I was born and bred in the [new] Boston. Though now far from there in geography, I shall today celebrate what you are doing, in spirit at least. With teabags duly cast into the Boise( Idaho) River !

oldanglico
07-04-09, 11:54 AM
Happy 4th JR and long may your visits continue.

Semper Fi

Jim