PDA

View Full Version : Statue insults women, senator says Albany -- Nancy Larraine Hoffman seeks change to v

thedrifter
06-11-04, 09:12 AM
Statue insults women, senator says
Albany -- Nancy Larraine Hoffman seeks change to veterans memorial

By ELIZABETH BENJAMIN, Capitol bureau
First published: Wednesday, June 9, 2004

State Sen. Nancy Larraine Hoffmann, who is facing an unusually tough primary challenge in her Central New York district, on Tuesday reignited a controversy over whether part of the state's Women Veterans War Memorial is inappropriate.
Joined by two female Marine Corps veterans, Hoffmann stood before the memorial just west of the State Museum on Madison Avenue and said it looks "like an ad for Victoria's Secret and does a grave disservice to women who have served in past wars and those women who are risking their lives today."

At issue is a 9-foot statue, designed by former Times Union cartoonist Hy Rosen, that is the central focus of the memorial. State officials say she is meant to depict Lady Liberty. The woman is wearing a draped dress and sandals. Her arms arch upward and one hand holds the New York state flag. The inscription beneath her feet reads: "Pride. Courage. Honor."

"A lady draped in a lovely chiffon scarf does not represent military women," said Margaret Bandy, an Onondaga resident and Marine Corps veteran who was honored Tuesday as a New York State Senate Woman of Distinction.

"When I saw the memorial, I thought: 'Throw some cammies on her and make her look like a real military woman,' " Bandy said.

June Worden, president of the Central New York State Chapter of the Woman Marines Association, agreed and added: "Something should be done here that's more representative of what we've done in the military."

The women said they have no problem with the smaller panels that flank Lady Liberty. One shows a Revolutionary-War era scene of women standing in the field, wearing dresses and loading muskets. The other is a more modern montage that centers around a woman wearing fatigues and holding a machine gun.

Hoffmann said she has written to Gov. George Pataki and asked him to relocate the Lady Liberty statue and replace her with something more indicative of the danger and sacrifice women soldiers have faced over the years.

Pataki spokeswoman Jennifer Meicht said Tuesday the governor had not yet received Hoffmann's letter, but "will certainly review it" when he does.

This is not the first time the issue of Lady Liberty has been aired. Both Bandy and Hoffmann had similar criticisms when the roughly $300,000 taxpayer-funded memorial was unveiled in 1998. Hoffmann on Tuesday said she believed now was a good time to revisit the issue because Bandy was being honored by the Senate.

The memorial design was selected by an independent advisory committee that included seven women veterans representing various military branches, according to state Office of General Services spokeswoman Jennifer Morris.

In November 1998, advisory committee member Col. Frances Liberty of East Greenbush called the statue "a beautiful piece of art." She said a woman in military garb was not chosen as the central image of the memorial because the committee wanted something generic that could represent women's service from the Revolutionary War through the Gulf War.

http://www.timesunion.com/shared/graphics/newsdb/040609memorial.jpg

Veterans of World War II question appropriateness of the Women Veterans War Memorial in Albany (Tim Roske / Associated Press)

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=255615&category=CAPITOL&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=6/9/2004

Ellie

SemperFiGirl79
06-11-04, 09:43 AM
hmmm? I'm debating on whether I should comment on this...?? I have mixed emotions on this particular subject.

thedrifter
06-11-04, 09:55 AM
My humble opinion......I never remark on a Marine subject....I'm not a Marine....We as civilans do not understand the True Feeling of being a Marine....I might have been married to a Marine for over 26 years....and learned about the Marine Corps...but..I will show the Respect to the Marines for their Dedication...for giving us Our Freedom...

Ellie

CPLRapoza
06-11-04, 10:52 AM
Q: God, what will it take to please women?

A: I don't even know.

I say leave it. The first thing, or person I should say, I thought when I saw it was Joan of ark. If that does not put women and war together, I don't know what does.

snipowsky
06-11-04, 11:49 AM
She does look like Joan of Arc! She was a Saint and a great warrior. So what's the problem?

SemperFiGirl79
06-11-04, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by thedrifter
My humble opinion......I never remark on a Marine subject....I'm not a Marine....We as civilans do not understand the True Feeling of being a Marine....I might have been married to a Marine for over 26 years....and learned about the Marine Corps...but..I will show the Respect to the Marines for their Dedication...for giving us Our Freedom...

Ellie

:thumbup: Good Advice Ellie...though I think we are all entiltled to have an opinion (about basically anything), I can see your point. When my ex-fiance' got back from Iraq I didn't pretend to know what he was feeling, or what he'd been through. Just figured it would be disrespectful for me to even try an comprehend it ya know. But I have strong feelings re: women & the military. It's just such a "touchy" subject. Thanks so much for posting the article though.

;)

SemperFiGirl79
06-11-04, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by snipowsky
She does look like Joan of Arc! She was a Saint and a great warrior. So what's the problem?

Do you really have to ask?

snipowsky
06-11-04, 02:07 PM
Ok it is a little girly! I'll give you that much. Maybe she needs some boots, utes and an M-60 in her hands?

Other then that NO COMMENT! lol

SemperFiGirl79
06-11-04, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by snipowsky
Ok it is a little girly! I'll give you that much. Maybe she needs some boots, utes and an M-60 in her hands?

Other then that NO COMMENT! lol

My point exactly! ;)

Hey, remeber you said it, not me....hehehehe :p

yellowwing
06-11-04, 02:30 PM
I wish we could find a wider angle picture. The shadow looks like she has a book in her other hand. If she had a sword that'd be great!

Okay which polee can tell me the USMC significance of Minerva Striking Discord?

SemperFiGirl79
06-11-04, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by yellowwing
I wish we could find a wider angle picture. The shadow looks like she has a book in her other hand. If she had a sword that'd be great!

Okay which polee can tell me the USMC significance of Minerva Striking Discord?

:yes: I like the sword idea! kinda scary though...A woman w/ a sword...;)