PDA

View Full Version : PFC Terry D Pitts.

Eaglestrikes
05-14-04, 07:47 PM
An 0311 sent to the 1st Amphibious Tracter Bn and subsequently to B. Co 2nd Plt. Trac B-24. Terry arrived in country and was immediately sent to our unit as a replacement for heavy losses we had suffered in Operation Hickory. He was out of his element but being a Marine he adapted. He was quite proficient and within a short time had mastered driving the big trac. His 0311 skills stood him well, as we performed Grunt work on a daily basis. Terry was cheerfull and full of life. I rotated out before he did. On 2 Jan 68 Terry was listed as killed in action. B-24 struck a mine near the DMZ and went up in flames. Terry was burned all over but survived. He was transferred to the USNS Mercy and died on board. Requiem Et Pace my friend, my brother. I have touched your spirit at the wall.

JAMarine
05-14-04, 08:15 PM
Thanks for sharing your story.

yellowwing
05-14-04, 10:22 PM
Weaver Alabama, sounds like a small town. The town I went to high school in was Mc Minnville TN. Home of one David Robert Ray, Hospital Corpsman Second Class.

March 19th in the Quang Nam Province, many Marines were in a world of hurt. Ole' Bobby was right there with us, amidst the terror, bullets, and bloodshed. He kept taking taking care of HIS Marines while death was having his way. Until finally, "HM2 Ray's final act of heroism was to protect the patient he was treating. He threw himself upon the wounded marine, thus saving the man's life when an enemy grenade exploded nearby."

For along time it bothered me that many people of that town have forgotten Bobby, and what he did for a handful of Marines. Now I realize it is in part of what Bobby did that day, that I raised my right hand some two decades later, and took my place to defend our bretheren.

Recently, I have researched the Commanders and Sgt Majors leading our Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan, I see no Republic of Viet Nam decorations. I have gladly seen that the tradition of battle field excellence has not changed.

In a recent repot from Iraq, "Are you concerned that the cease fire will give the enemy a chance to regroup?"

LCpl, "Doesn't matter we're going to kill them all any way!"

Get some! Marine Corps Extremism at its best! :marine:

Eaglestrikes
05-15-04, 03:13 PM
I am aware of all: David Ray, McMinville Tn. (Buford Pussar)
Winnipeg Canada. My wife is from Elliot Lake, Ontario.
I like the quote.

arzach
05-16-04, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Eaglestrikes
An 0311 sent to the 1st Amphibious Tracter Bn and subsequently to B. Co 2nd Plt. Trac B-24. Terry arrived in country and was immediately sent to our unit as a replacement for heavy losses we had suffered in Operation Hickory. He was out of his element but being a Marine he adapted. He was quite proficient and within a short time had mastered driving the big trac. His 0311 skills stood him well, as we performed Grunt work on a daily basis. Terry was cheerfull and full of life. I rotated out before he did. On 2 Jan 68 Terry was listed as killed in action. B-24 struck a mine near the DMZ and went up in flames. Terry was burned all over but survived. He was transferred to the USNS Mercy and died on board. Requiem Et Pace my friend, my brother. I have touched your spirit at the wall.

SuperSharp, Hand Salute...ready.....two!