PDA

View Full Version : Delayed Entry

Seeley
09-20-02, 09:39 PM
A friend of mine wants to go into the Marines this summer (his Junior summer) and go reserves to finish his high school. I've heard of this being done before, but could anyone give me some more information regarding rules etc?

Thank you,
Shawn

22DevilPup87
09-21-02, 04:06 PM
I've never heard of that being done before, but I guess it could be, assuming he's at least 17 at the time he wants to enlist. The only problem with that is should he be called to active duty because of an emergency during his senior year he'd have to drop out and finish high school later.

There are lots of knowledgable folks around here (I'm not one of them).

I wish your friend the best of luck.

Jess

22DevilPup87
09-24-02, 07:41 PM
Shawn,
Having thought about your friend's situation a little more I have no idea how he plans to enlist and receive training before his high school graduation. According to everything I've read your best chances of a successful enlistment would be enlisting as Teir I. That requires a high school diploma (and/or 15 college credits).

I'm not a recruiter, nor a Marine, so I'm simply sharing my take on this.

I think your friend should talk to a recruiter if he hasn't already.

Take care,
Jess

top1371
09-24-02, 08:23 PM
Seeley,

The only service I ever heard of doing this is the National Guard. I did it in 1980, my Jr/Sr summer of high school. I returned to high school and graduated and went to my AIT in 1981 and got released from the NG to enlist in the USMC in 1982. An yes I had to go through boot camp!

Trasnfering like I did would be an option....

Seeley
09-24-02, 08:30 PM
Hey great :). I'll have to tell my friend about that. Thanks.

22DevilPup87
09-25-02, 01:50 PM
Thanks for responding, top. I wasn't trying to give inaccurate information, as my knowledge base is minimal, but Shawn did deserve an answer. Thank you for the information.

Jess

Sixguns
09-30-02, 04:31 PM
The National Guard is the only service to have a junior summer program for enlistment. Essentially you go to boot camp the summer between junior and senior year and after graduation from H.S., you go to MOS training schools. THe Marine Corps does not have such a program. If he joins the Guard under this program, he may have a hard time converting to USMC after he graduates from H.S. because the National Guard looks at it as the individual is still in training because they have not completed MOS training. Tell him to be careful if he truly wants to be a Marine.

top1371
09-30-02, 07:41 PM
Good point on being still being in training. I didnt think about that, I did do my conversion after AIT over 20 years ago.

Another point to make is that once you join another service you are considered "Prior-Service Other Service" and may not be eligible for an enlistment incintive. I was given an open contract for being in the NG. Just another point to bring up.

The only sure shot way to be a Marine and get what you want is to stay in school-graduate and do good on the ASAVB Test.

Semper Fi,

Seeley
09-30-02, 09:43 PM
Hey cool :). Thanks for all the info updates as I'm sure he'll be grateful. Also, top, have you seen any of the recruits in boot lately? A friend of mine is there and is starting his rifle quals. He's in 2nd BN Fco and says he loves every minute of boot (that's the JROTC mentality mind you :)). I just can't wait until I can go there myself!

usmc4669
02-08-04, 01:50 PM
top1371:
Good advice.

Got one better, I joined the FL State Guards at the ripe old age of 15, can anyone beat that? The FL State Guards were disbanded after 1944.

cmbell
02-08-04, 06:15 PM
Air Force did offer me a chance to boot between my Jr. Sr. year of high school. Course this was back in '94 so things may have changed. Deal was you boot then after graduation you ship out for four or six. Best deal would be to talk to the people running the JROTC program they'll know what the deal is for sure.

leroy8541
02-09-04, 07:30 PM
I joined the Army Reserves in '83 during junior year of H.S. returned to finish after bootcamp then went to AIT after graduating highschool had to beg for a discharge from the Army to be able to be...

us_marine62104
02-12-04, 11:56 AM
I ve only heard of that happening in the Army. if I am correct you must be a senior. and on your way to graduate If im wrong please correct me.