PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an Officer after Enlisted

Wanabe_devildog
04-28-04, 04:51 PM
I was just wandering if this would be possible, Ive already enlisted and will be going into the infantry field. I wanted to do 1 deployment as Enlisted then try to become an Officer. Would I be able to get my bachelors or would I have enough time?

Sgt2Lt
04-28-04, 07:22 PM
There are alot of enlisted commissioning programs that you can compete for once you are active duty. The Marine Enlisted Commissioning and Education Program (MECEP) will allow you to attend college...

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-29-04, 12:28 AM
All great advice... to answer one portion... no you will not get your BA or BS in the time it takes to do one deployment. Remember, it takes four years of full time college to get one, and you will be far from full time if you're able to take college classes as a grunt in a work up.

But, I have known three or four Marines that were able to do MECEP or NROTC and earn the bars... of course I know many more that thought about it until they enlisted. There is a certain attitude many Marines have about officers that somehow prevents them from following through on their original idea.