PDA

View Full Version : Royal Marine Jargon

3BadgeMarine
09-18-02, 07:19 PM
:) It's Called Royal Marine Speak.
ACE (good excellent). Animal Run (a good run ashore)
BANJO (broken down) BANYAN (picnic on the beach)
BIMBLE (to wander around casually with mind in neutral)
BITE (to be drawn into a argument)
BOOTNECK (royal marine derived from the leather uniform stock worn around the neck during the Nelsonian era)
BOMBED OUT (crazy). BOSS (respectful but casual way of referring to the officer in command) BRILL (brilliant, magnificant)
BRAMMER (outstandingly good) BRONZY (sun tan)
BUG OUT (to conduct a military withdrawal)
BUZZ (a rumour) CHUCK ONE UP (a salute)
CLOGGIE (a dutchman) COMMON DOG (common sense)
CRAB/CRAB AIR (members of the RAF)
CRACK (to achieve) CRAPPERS (to be very drunk)
CRIMBO (christmas /yuletide)
DIG OUT BLIND (to make supreme effort) DRIP (to complain)
DROP A SPROG (to give birth) FLAKERS (exhausted)
FOO FOO (talcum powder) GEN (the truth)
GONK (to sleep) GRONK (unattractive woman)
KNACKER/FAT KNACKER (someone unfit of overweight)
LOOPY LOONEY JUICE (alcholol) MOD PLOD (ministry of defence police) NOD/NODDY (RM recruit) Party (a femail)
PERCY PONGO (a soldier in the army) ROCK APE (member of the mountain leader branch) RUG RAT (a baby)
SB (special boat squadron) SNEAKY BEAKY(intelligence staff)
THIN OUT (depart) TROUGH (eat) WET (a drink of any descripion)
YAFFLE (eat hurriedly) YETI (spectacular fall on skis)
YOMP (march with heavy load) YO YO (young officer under training) ZAP (to shoot or be shot) .More to come AYE

Barrio_rat
09-30-02, 07:35 PM
If the above is GEN, then....

I was a NOD, trim and BRONZY, at the time of CRIMBO and everyone had a DRIP of some kind. A BOOTNECK gave me some BUZZ on an ACE pub where I could find a PARTY for the night. I went on a BIMBLE and got into a BITE with a CLOGGIE and a PERCY PONGO. A CRAB got involved so I BUGGED OUT to find the pub. After some time I came to the pub and found it to be BRILL. I spent the evening drinking LOOPY LOONEY JUICE and got totally CRAPPERS. I woke up the next morning to find I had GONKED with a GRONK. Three or four months later I was at a BANYAN where she told me she was going to DROP A SPROG. After it was born, I noticed the RUG RAT looked more like a ROCK APE I knew than myself. Also, there had been a YO YO hanging around and I was unsure of his intentions. For me, all of this was BOMBED OUT. I was BANJO and FLAKERS. I figured it was time that I THIN OUT before someone got ZAPPED. I decided to send a request to the MOD PLOD and let him know that I'd DIG OUT BLIND to be assigned with an SB. For me, this was all COMMON DOG.

How'd I do?

3BadgeMarine
09-30-02, 08:07 PM
Barrio_rat, You just got yourself a Chuck Up (Salute),You Deserve to work in the Puzzle Palace (Headquarters),you deserve a Wet (A drink of any description) and lots of Ickies (Money)and have plenty of common dog (common sense) but you must Dig out (make the supreme effort) I must get some Zeds (sleep) or Smurgle (Advance) to the Chat Room for a Glimp (to peer or peep)and get some Gen (truth) at this rate I will soon be Flakers (exausted) Ace (good /excellent) you are a good hand (trustworthy and efficient Man)well I must thin out (depart) I'm off for some scran (Food)

Sticky blue
01-29-03, 05:11 PM
There I was snurggling around the pub skegging the totty when a hippofroggerdogerpig bimbled up and stuck a liplock on my fizzhog. "Harry offers" said I to the hopper "and get me an oggie". It trogged off to the bar and I snuck into the heads and made like a swastika to get a Joe Baxi. I showed the MOD Plod my Idiot Card as I headed for my grot and got my swede down for some serious zeds as I was Harry Crappers.

Translation:Ther I was sneaking around the bar looking at the atractive females when a really pig ugly woman came up to me and kissed me on the lips. "go away" said I to the fat girl "and get me a cornish pastie to eat". She walked dejectedly to the bar as I sneaked out to gat a taxi. I showed the Ministry of Defence Policeman my Identification card as I went to my room and got my head down for a long sleep as I was very drunk.

montana
01-29-03, 05:27 PM
sure wish you brits. would learn how to speak english

LOMA

Be safe Bros.

Sticky blue
01-29-03, 06:58 PM
Just had a few bevvies and stuffing some scran down my grid with my yaffling spanners. Then it's howay to bed with the pash... might even get a bonk if I prof but I'll probably dip out and come up plumbs.

Just has a few drinks and eating some food with a knife and fork. Then I'm going to bed with the wife... I might even have sex with her if I'm lucky but I'll probably be unlucky and get nothing.

The civilians over her don't understand Royalspeak either. It's great because we can chat amongst ourselves and very few people can understand us!!

greensideout
01-29-03, 07:31 PM
LMAO!

If it's "english" that you speak, what the hell are we using over here?

Rob Parry
01-30-03, 06:56 AM
Oh now that's a whole other conversation. We do really try and understand Elmer (RM handle for POTUS), but even with his teleprompt he makes mistakes and slips back into 'saddlespeak'.
There it is again, that whistlin' noise, incoming what? Oh you mean innnkummmmmminnnnnnnnn!

Sticky blue
01-30-03, 07:00 AM
Greensideout,
I could really blow your mind and put some Geordie on here! It is the accent that is used in the North East of the UK and most people have trouble understanding it.
Here is both versions of our Regimental March:

First of all the Geordie version:
A Leif on the Ocean Wave,
A hyem on the rullin deep,
Weor the scattered waters reeve
An the winds thor revels keep

A Leif on the Ocean Wave,
A hyem on the rullin deep,
Weor the scattered waters rave
An the winds thor revels keep
Leik an eagle caged Ah pine
On this dull unchanging shore,
Aah gissies the flashin brine
The spray an the tempest's roar

Once more on the deck Ah stand
Of me aan swift gliding craft
Set sail forwell te the land
The gale follows fair abaft
Wi shoot through the sparkling foom
Leik an ocean bord set free
Leik an ocean bord , wor hyem
We'll find far oot on the sea

The land is ne longer in view
The clouds hev begun te frown
but wi a stout vessel an crew
We'll syah let the storm come doon
An the song of wor hearts shall be
While the wind an waters reve
A leif on the heavin sea
A hyem on the boondin wave

The real English version:
A Life on the Ocean Wave,
A home on the rolling deep,
Where the scattered waters rave
And the winds their revels keep

A Life on the Ocean Wave,
A home on the rolling deep,
Where the scattered waters rave
And the winds their revels keep
Like an eagle caged I pine
On this dull unchanging shore,
Oh give me the flashing brine
The spray and the tempest's roar

Once more on the deck I stand
Of my own swift gliding craft
Set sail farewell to the land
The gale follows fair abaft
We shoot through the sparkling foam
Like an ocean bird set free
Like an ocean bird, our home
We'll find far out on the sea

The land is no longer in view
The clouds have begun to frown
but with a stout vessel and crew
We'll say let the storm come down
And the song of our hearts shall be
While the wind and waters rave
A life on the heaving sea
A home on the bounding wave

Have a look at the translator from English to Geordie here: http://www.geordie.org.uk/

thedrifter
05-15-05, 04:48 PM
Bumping

Ellie

yellowwing
05-15-05, 05:29 PM
I would imagine with Welsh, Scots, and everyone else thrown in, the Royal Marines would have to come up with their own language!

steve evans
05-20-05, 03:05 PM
In deepest Cornwall lives this Chapp Ees ad a foo an bin to guz. oie says to heem what Ee loike in Devon then me andsum.

Tis grand arr. Thems got Ee smart un bits O kit called Oggies nought loike ours but nay to harmful to Ee mouth. Best try Oie a whole nu trough cos Oie int seen em quight like Em fer a fu years Arr!

Steve evans