PDA

View Full Version : War Profiteering

HardJedi
04-08-04, 02:50 PM
First, let me state that I wrote this In october of 2001 for a different website. I just thought I would share it here, and get some of my fellow Marines thoughts ob the subject.

I am also reprinting it here to prove a point. Don't see NEARLY as many "patriots" THESE day's, do ya?

Well, this is a little rant of my own about something that I have noticed in stores and where I work, and on peoples car, and on their houses, ect. ect. That little something is just this, where were all of the"patriots" before Sept. 11

It is great the way our nation has pulled together at this time. There have only been a few protesters about us bieng in Afganistan that I have heard of. People are running out and buying flags to proudly display at home. I must have gotten 50 e-mails with patriotic images and messages in them in the first ten day's after the attacks. We here where I work have been creating and selling calenders and window posters with things like" we will never forget" or "remembe 9/11" or with pictures of the eagle ect ect.

Now, it will come as no suprise to those of you who REALLY know me, that i am patriotic to a fault. For those of you who do NOT know me let me explain that. I am a former United States Marine who served in the infantry. To be in the military was alway's a dream of mine growing up. I have, in the past, slapped complete strangers in the head for not taking off thier hats or talking during the national anthem. When the natinal anthem is done correctley, it almost makes me cry. When but a wee lad of about 10 to 13 years of age I got into several fights with people wearing that rising sun crud that was popular in the eighties, because it was a symbol of our enemies in WWII. In other words, I love this country! Even when we are involved in things that I do not agree with.

So here's the thing. Since the attacks you can't go ten feet without someone selling american partiotic paraphenalia. They are trying to make a profit off of the deaths of the people at the world trade center and those that are going to die in the "war against terrorism". That is just wrong, and yes I said earlier that my company is doing it too. And just were in the heck were all of these " patriots" during the Vietnam war? Too busy getting high or fleeing the country, that's where! *&%$ you Hanoi Jane! Where are they all hiding during times of peace? How many flags do you see flying on peoples houses then?

well, that's all I really have to say about this for now I guess.

namgrunt
04-08-04, 03:19 PM
HardJedi:

Be glad folks are willing to show support for military forces. Like you pondered above, where were these folks when we Vietnam Vets were coming home in the 60s and 70s? It was a different time, and the USA itself never came under military attack, just the men and women who served her. I ran into my share of flak from hippies back then. The thing to remember is you paid the price so they could be jerks. That has been the truth of it since the country was founded.

It is strange to consider the fact that less than 10 percent of the American colonists actually bore arms against the English Crown. The large majority of British subjects here simply didn't have the stomach for the fight. Despite their non-participation, these "new Americans" were more than happy to profit from the freedoms bought with blood.

I thank God that men and women still find worth in our nation, and volunteer to serve and save it. If the flow of patriots ever fails, this nation will fall and disappear from the world's stage forever. I plan to fight for it until I am dead. Then I'll be a dead Marine. I think Greybeard wrote that phrase originally.

I still retain arms and ammunition, just in case local militias are needed again during catastrophic times. My marksmanship has dropped because my eyes don't work like they used to, but I can still hit paper at the range.

HardJedi
04-08-04, 03:26 PM
Oh I am VERY gratefull for the support of those who mean it. what this was originally written about wass the people who show support because it is "fashionable" Much like the people who only support a winning sports team. They come out of the woodwork, and put on false airs, to show how"supportive" they are. And our American companies sell these things ONLY at the hieght of fevor. You ALMOSt never see it any other time. that's my point. And most of these self same people who NOW show support, are the same ones who when their way of life is not threatened will run our country and troops into the ground. that's just my .02 of course

stalkmaster
04-08-04, 05:39 PM
OOH RAH Hardijedi I couldn't agree more and it really stinks that
these very liberals say we support our troops but there is always
a catch.. screw that!! There is no such thing as politics when leads
a flyin and for those who know the only thing to fight for was
your own life and your buddys PERIOD!!!

Semper FI

MillRatUSMC
04-08-04, 07:11 PM
Let's not come down only on companies making stuff for a profit.
How about the media?
Both TV and newspapers reporters, during Operation Iraqi Freedom, you could finding them all over the place.
Now, it just if some terrible happens that you get a special.
You sense that it was just about "ratings" nothing more, nothing less...
IMHO

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

PS after 9/11/2001 there was flags flying all over the place, now they hardly any...wonder why...sunshine patroits?

HardJedi
04-08-04, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by MillRatUSMC

PS after 9/11/2001 there was flags flying all over the place, now they hardly any...wonder why...sunshine patroits?

that's exactly my point. :)