PDA

View Full Version : Where a grunt can do the most for Marines

thedrifter
04-08-04, 08:13 AM
Issue Date: April 12, 2004

Where a grunt can do the most for Marines

As I sat in my spare bedroom staring at my gear laid out as I would for an inspection, a phrase from the rifle range came to mind — “Shooters on the firing line, your prep time has ended.”
It is my turn to return to a region that I knew back in 1991 we would have to revisit. There was too much evil imposed upon Kuwait to ignore the inevitable need to return and ensure a lasting peace.

I ask myself the question every leader asks himself before leading Marines into battle: Have I done everything I could to prepare myself mentally and physically for the rigors ahead? The answer is yes. As my aching 42-year-old body rebels against my 18-year-old mind-set, I tell myself there is enough time to rest during retirement.

But have I done enough to prepare the Marines around me for the same hardships? In this case, I cannot answer with a definitive “yes.” My job is to advise commanders about the quantity and type of training their Marines need. It’s up to the commanders to make that training happen.

In the end, I have a simple philosophy: Be ready.

If you were on the battlefield and forced to withdraw, would you be able to continue fighting?

If you came upon the M2 .50 caliber machine gun, the Mk19 40mm grenade launcher, M240G machine gun or the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon, could you use them?

Do you know enough about mortars to use either the 60mm or 81mm?

How much do you know about survival land navigation?

Do you have a survival kit?

Have you studied tactics for offensive combat, defensive combat and patrolling?

Can you identify and treat a serious wound?

The funny thing about these subjects is that they are all common skills every Marine — from private to gunnery sergeant, second lieutenant to captain, warrant officer to chief warrant officer 2 — is supposed to know.

These are simple skills that are taken for granted, and many believe all noninfantry Marines are proficient in them because they learned them in Marine Combat Training.

Still, the thought of going into a hostile environment with an air wing unit gave me pause. Then, 10 days before my flight, my monitor sent me orders transferring me back to the infantry. This was my happiest day in recent memory.

But after the initial elation wore off, I began to think about where I could do the most good. I asked my monitor to cancel those orders because I felt the air wing squadron needed my expertise more than an infantry battalion did.

So now, I share with every Marine who will listen my experiences in hostile environments.

As I field a thousand questions about weapons, techniques and tactics, I tell my Marines not to worry and just do their best. These are some of the best NCOs and junior Marines I have ever met. They’re ready.

The writer, a master sergeant, is an infantry small unit leader who is deployed to Iraq with a wing support squadron.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=0-MARINEPAPER-2782052.php

Ellie