PDA

View Full Version : Promotion in the reserves?

hound79
03-26-04, 05:38 PM
Is it possible to attain the rank of corporal in 4 years in the reserves? I'll be starting out as a pfc due to college credit. If not 4 years, 8?

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-26-04, 07:59 PM
It is more than possible, but not a gurantee by any stretch of the imagination. However, I do believe you'll have six years. It may have changed, but last I heard, initial reserve contracts were six years.

CplCrotty
03-26-04, 08:11 PM
Yup - sure is. I made it in three and half years and I started out as a private out of recruit training.

Pel
03-26-04, 09:05 PM
Heck Id say that now is one of the better times to gain rank fast if you prove yourself so shoot for the stars

thiad
03-26-04, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by CplCrotty
Yup - sure is. I made it in three and half years and I started out as a private out of recruit training.

Yeah - agreed. Especially if you're in a field that is short. Just remember to bust your rear as everything counts.

hound79
03-27-04, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
It is more than possible, but not a gurantee by any stretch of the imagination. However, I do believe you'll have six years. It may have changed, but last I heard, initial reserve contracts were six years.

there are two options for the reserves 6 & 2 and 4 & 4, i get no money for college doing a 4&4. when i met my first sgt where ill be reporting he said it was the first time he's seen it.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-27-04, 11:45 AM
That is cool. I don't know why you wouldn't do the 6x2 option though. Two more years isn't a big deal, especially in the reserve. For the most part, your life will be just as it is now. And the college money is a good deal, even if you aren't sure you will use it now.

Pel, why would this be any better time than another? If you understand how promotions work, you will know it works in cycles, and the MOSs do not all go up and down together. When it was impossible to get promoted in my MOS, we saw people with our secondary MOS get promoted to Cpl after about two years... which is actually TOO FAST.

Cole11
03-27-04, 05:59 PM
I also hope to make Cpl. by the end of my 6 years in the Reserves, I got the PFC contract, so ill be coming out of boot an E-2, hope that helps significantly.

Lake0300
03-27-04, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Cole11
I also hope to make Cpl. by the end of my 6 years in the Reserves, I got the PFC contract, so ill be coming out of boot an E-2, hope that helps significantly.

You go into the Corps and just be who you are. You'll make Sgt. in four. -Lake

Pel
03-27-04, 11:18 PM
Echo Four Bravo... because he wants to get Corporal (E-4) and after Lance Corporal (E-3) promotions are no longer automatic due to time in service. It becomes competitive. What better way to prove yourself than through combat? Your superiors notice when someone stands out more than someone else. And a high duty performance score definatly helps you to reach Corporal.

That Echo Four Bravo is why now is a better time for someone to gain rank fast... by taking the situation at hand and exceling at it.

Lake0300
03-28-04, 09:16 AM
Pel, run and hide. For Echo_Four hath cometh to smacketh thou. -Lake

mswonger
03-28-04, 12:13 PM
Does your MOS effect promotions?

Pel
03-28-04, 05:07 PM
lol probably lake

Pel

Lake0300
04-04-04, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by mswonger
Does your MOS effect promotions?

Yes it does. Marines selected for promotion are those who are best qualified for it. The number of Marines chosen within each occupational field or MOS depends upon the vacancies at the time.

Thats an abridged version of what I just read DIRECTLY from the Guidebook for Marines. Basically if an infantry battalion has 2 SSgt's who finish their terms then 2 infantry Sgt's will eventually be promoted to SSgt to fill those spots. However if 2 airwing SSgt's retire, that has no effect on infantry Sgt's. Only airwing Sgt's would be promoted. Thats the jist of how MOS will effect promotions. Theres A LOT more that goes into it all. You'll learn it when you get to MCRD. -Lake

arnoldyG/2/5
04-07-04, 12:16 PM
All of you need to be focusing on preparations for boot camp. Even when (if) you graduate from boot camp, you will have a lot to learn. Start thinking about promotions after you become Marines.

MAJMike
04-07-04, 05:09 PM
There are "cutting scores" for each MOS. A cutting score is a combination of your PFT, rifle range score, time in grade, time in service, fitness reports and any classes, military education, etc. There is a formula that takes all of this into consideration and results in a single number, ie: 1500 for CPL in 0311. Therefore, all L/CPLS with a cutting score of 1500 or above are ELIGIBLE for promotion. Not all L/CPLs with cutting scores of 1500 will necessarily be promoted. There may be a need for 65 CPLS in a particular MOS and there could be 75 that make the cutting score. Only 65 will be promoted.

Cutting scores are adjusted to reflect the need for each rank (CPL and above) in each MOS.