PDA

View Full Version : DEP meetings

Cynrose
09-13-02, 01:59 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering what other recruiters do for you guys during your DEP meetings? And how often you guys have them.

My recruiters usually schedule 2 offices together here. We meet almost every Thursday at 4-5 pm and usually do PT warm up... side straddle hops, MC pushups, hello dollies, flutter kicks...and stretching. Then the guys go play a game or do something for more activities.

Tonight one recruiter asked us (the people who are not Depped in yet) what can be improved or what we didn't like. Basically everyone likes it...we just wanted more days instead of just once a week. Well they can't really do that ... they actually have lives ... at least that's what we were told. :D

Well the one recruiter we were talking to said if we wanted to come down to the office and workout more with just him and whoever else just shows up he would do that.

I'm definitely taking him up on this offer... hes really supportive of me and everyone. And he's a great recruiter!

Also after the DEP meeting tonight I went to the gym with MSgt to just get more exercise in. Had fun did 30 min treadmill and some arm/back weights.

Time to shut my mouth and stop writing a novel here.

Cynrose
:banana: Would be doing this if my back/shoulders weren't on fire. And if I could stand on my poor bruised feet. ;)

firstsgtmike
09-13-02, 07:48 AM
I was THE recruiter in San Mateo, Calif in 1968, and a recruiter there again in 71-73. My DEPs were welcome at any time to view the recruiting films, with or without their girlfriends and/or buddies.

Twice a month, there was a get-together, an open-house when recruits were home on boot leave. DEPs, buddies, girlfriends, and parents were all invited. We bought the KFC and cola, or I surprised them with a case of C-rations (MREs).

It was basically an organized bull session. I'd be there, essentially, as a moderator, to keep the sea stories from getting out of hand. (Recruits love to brag about running ten miles before breakfast, carrying an 80 lb. pack.)

We had a "good" boot camp film, (I would have preferred The D.I. with Jack Webb, which for many years was required viewing IN boot camp). I played it for the civilians, with spontaneous comments and laughter from the recent MCRD graduates.

San Mateo was a small community. I showed them what it meant to be part of the Marine Corps "family". Our "family" was the envy of friends, girlfriends, and parents of anyone who copped out and chose a lesser branch of service.

Sixguns
09-30-02, 04:24 PM
As a recruiter, I held a meeting once a week with my future Marines, except the week the RSS had its monthly pool meeting. As NCOIC, I loved to have all my future Marines together at least once a month. The recruiters' sessions were mostly PT. The Larger RSS meeting was some type of classes or academic instruction followed by some type of organized athletics. I always enjoyed having my future Marines around. THey were welcome to stop by the office anytime. Of course, that usually meant I found them some work to do also! Being around your recruiter and othr Marines is motivating. It helps to keep you focused on your goal of becoming a Marine. Most of my poolees loved coming in because their friends were negative about the Corps and were usually up to no good. My future Marines realized that there are better things to do than get in trouble. Once you make the choice to join, you should surround yourself by other winners (Marines) like yourself. I just got a call today from one of my former poolees. I enlisted her ten years ago and she still calls me often. The Corps is like no other organization. We are tight! Stay motivated and benefit from your recruiter's advice and training.

ssgtp_diddy
10-14-02, 01:23 AM
I am a recruiter in Tulsa, Ok. Our RSS functions go once a month and is always different. For instance, this month we had a D.I. from P.I. put the DEP through the paces of "black Friday". In November it will be the Marine Corps Ball/Moto run.

Personally, My Recruits are in and out of my office all the time and I love it. Of course I put them to work but we also spend alot of B.S. time. Our RSS has also been doing Family Visits. Each week we visit a different family to make sure they understand what is going on. It's alot of fun.

JOnT03
10-15-02, 01:26 AM
hey first post!

im from Jasper, AL we have monthly pool functions, 2nd sat. of each month, but then we also get together every sat. morning for PT. next month we're going to the Marine Corps League in Birmingham which i am REALLY looking fwrd to. will be very motivative.

AKAMarine23
11-11-02, 05:16 PM
Cynrose,
Here in Valley Glen,CA one of the recruiters held PT every Tuesday&Thursday night, it was for the poolees who were over weight or just wanted to get fit faster. It was the best thing any recruiter has ever done. One of my friends went from 178-150lbs. He was so stoked when he was ready to leave.
Usually our recruiters have them every Saturday morning.

Take Care......