PDA

View Full Version : Ask Anything

moose
03-09-04, 07:06 AM
This is for all the poolees out there with questions...

I am proud to say I am one of the newest members to join the Marine Family, having just graduated recruit trainging 5 March. So If any of you have questions regarding Parris Island, and recruit training feel free to ask.

Let the questions roll in. Begin.

Moose :marine:

Phantom Blooper
03-09-04, 07:09 AM
Congradulation's Moose! Glad to see you back! Semper-Fi! Marine! :marine: Chuck Hall

thedrifter
03-09-04, 07:46 AM
Congratulations Marine!!!!

Welcome to the Brotherhood/Sisterhood.......

Do we see your bootcamp pic...:D
If you want place in the photo gallery....

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

mucho
03-09-04, 02:02 PM
How much time do you "really" have to read and write letters?

2ndplacesucks
03-09-04, 04:21 PM
moose

I read somewhere u have to shave in 20 to 30 sec. how do they make you do that, and do they give u time to put paper squares on all the cuts?

Pel
03-09-04, 04:56 PM
Hmmm general question, whats the most number of push ups you have done at once without stopping?

alanUSMCDEP03
03-10-04, 11:29 AM
Congratulations! I can't wait til I go and get my 3 months of hell over with, lol.
What's the worst thing they did to you down there? Did anyone get any blanket parties?

vision836
03-10-04, 05:05 PM
The worst thing I saw. This one guy had a problem with a squad leader cause he was black well this guy called him a ---er. All our drill instuctors were dark greens and 90% of our company DI's were too. So that night during hygene inspection all these DI's stormed ou squadbay surounded this guy yelling at him till he dropped to his knees crying. Advice-- Leave all predjudice at home It doesn't belong in the Corps or anyplace for that matter.

moose
03-12-04, 05:20 AM
Replys

thedrifter
No Haven't scanned my pictures in yet, but they are coming...

mucho
You can write all the letters you want during your 'square away' time. Do I recommend you do. No. You should prepare your gear for the next day. Sunday mornings are a good time to write, but remeber, You've got more important things to do than write while your down there.

2ndplacesucks
Yes it is true. You will get counted down for just about everything you do, so get used to it. No you dont get little squares for your face. You cut yourself because your sloppy....you fail hygene inspection.

Pel
Me personally? I'd have to say I've never counted as many as I can do. I have done more than 100 though.

alanUSMCDEP03
Don't go in thinking it's going to be 3 months of hell. It will be 3 months of hell, but only if you want it to be. (hahaha....) Go in with a strong and positive mental attitude. As far as blanket parties, NO they never happened. Yes some recruits came close to getting their ass kicked, but fighting amongst yourselves is useless.

Good questions. Keep em' coming.

Moose

JBrac420
03-12-04, 07:36 AM
Ah the countdown... Drill Instructor time is much quicker than civilian time.. ie- "You have 10, 9, 8 , 5 ,3 ,1 0...."
I remember those days you lived chow to chow... minute to minute. You take each training session as it comes... don't look at the big picture ( 3 months of hell) or you will be overwhelemed.
Moose is absolutely right about using free time to square gear away for the next day... and to work on areas where you are struggling, ie - Marine Corps knowledge or my personal weakness at the time, pull ups. You can write all the letters you want during free time on Sunday morning.
Semper Fi,
Brac

alanUSMCDEP03
03-12-04, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the advice Private Moose, and thanks for taking your time to answer us Poolee's questions. Should I bring running shoes when I go, or can I get them there, and how was the food?

moose
03-12-04, 12:49 PM
alanUSMCDEP03
Any shoes you wear down will end up being stuffed in a bag for the next 3 months. Regardless of what kind they are. You are issued a nice new set of 'go fasters.' They don't stay new for long....
People laugh at me when I say the food in the chow halls was good...I don't know why. Maybe we were always just so hungry and thankful to be sitting down in front of a nice warm meal, or maybe the food really was good. In any case the chowhalls are no longer government run. A civilian company 'Sodexho' now runs them. They serve alot of crap you WILL NOT be eating as a recruit. You'd think they would get a hint on the kind of food they should serve, but aparently not.

Moose

namgrunt
03-12-04, 03:55 PM
Moose:

Welcome Aboard, Younger Brother.
Expect to see a PFC stripe under your name ASAP.
Hang tough and keep the Faith.

Semper Fi!
namgrunt

jlbayley
03-12-04, 04:19 PM
Moose:

Welcome Aboard!

Blanket parties in boot camp? Naw, that comes later:D

Semper Fi!
jlbayley:marine:

usmc4669
03-12-04, 05:55 PM
Been there done that. Things sure are difference than back in the OLD CORPS.LOL

lurchenstein
03-14-04, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by moose
People laugh at me when I say the food in the chow halls was good...I don't know why. Maybe we were always just so hungry and thankful to be sitting down in front of a nice warm meal, or maybe the food really was good.

Clicks with my memory of chowtime 30 years ago (Feb.-May 1974). However, chow was still cooked by Marines & served up by recruits under the watchful eyes of Marines.
Welcome back Marine!

Lock-n-Load
03-21-04, 06:34 AM
:marine: I remember I gave you a positive send-off when you went to MCRD awhile back...what you are doing in here now shows ...great leadership skills...and you give a good damn about kids leaving for MCRD; furthermore, you give 'em the straight scoop in an objective manner..you have the good Marine attitude...I'd want you in my squad any day...keep well and always, keep one in-the-chamber, Marine. Semper Fi:marine: SSGT CHRIS SARNO-USMC FMF