PDA

View Full Version : John Kerry's Final Mission in Vietnam

thedrifter
02-21-04, 12:16 PM
John Kerry's Final Mission in Vietnam

John Kerry's last mission in Vietnam was a deadly Swift boat patrol up the Bay Hap River where everything was ventured but nothing gained -- except another medal and more horrific memories.
By Douglas Brinkley

March 13, 1969, would prove among the worst and best days John Kerry spent in Vietnam. Three years earlier, with the main thrust of the antiwar movement yet to come, Kerry had graduated from Yale University, delivering his class oration. Although he had just signed up with the U.S. Navy, in that address he questioned U.S. involvement in Southeast Asia. After completing several assignments and being trained to command a patrol craft fast (PCF), or "Swift" boat, Lieutenant junior grade Kerry was ordered to patrol the Viet Cong–infested rivers of Vietnam's Mekong Delta as part of Operation Sealords.

By that March day he had been on Swift boat duty for only four months, but had already been wounded in action twice and was increasingly frustrated with the course of the river war. It seemed senseless to motor up a river, presenting an easy target on the open water, and then exchange fire with usually unseen enemies safely ensconced in the heavy growth on shore -- only to motor downriver and repeat those same actions the following day. Uncooperative allies and interservice rivalries only added to his frustrations. Yet Kerry, like so many others involved in the conflict, did the best he could to follow orders.

The March 13 mission, Kerry's last in Vietnam, was no exception. By the time it was over, he would have earned a Bronze Star, plus his third Purple Heart, and with it the last punch on his ticket out of Southeast Asia.

At 6 a.m. Kerry's PCF-94, along with fellow Lt. j.g. Rich McCann's PCF-24, left their supporting LST (landing ship, tank) to join three other Swifts for Operation Sealords Mission XCVIII -- a raid on the Bay Hap River. The day dawned gray and sunless, which made forming up particularly difficult. The humid air hung stagnant, and the radars worked spottily, if at all, through the unusually dark morning. PCF-94 was in far from tiptop shape. "All the windows on my boat and on [Larry Thurlow's PCF-53] boat had been blown out in the ambush two days earlier, and water slopped into the main cabins as the Gulf of Thailand sloshed us back and forth," Kerry recalled. "Each boat had its quota of Chinese-Cambodian [Nung] mercenaries on board, and speed was reduced because of the extra weight."

Near the entrance to the Bay Hap River, McCann's boat developed engine trouble and had to stop. "We transferred his troops to our boats and continued into the river," Kerry reported, his PCF-94 now so weighted down with men and gear it looked like a World War II Higgins boat heading for the Normandy beaches. Also aboard were U.S. Special Forces teams of Green Berets and SEALs being transported into enemy territory.

For the first time during Kerry's many trips up the Bay Hap, the river was choked with early-morning traffic. Swarms of fishing boats of all shapes and sizes were bobbing around. The sampans and motorized junks were crowded with old men and women and the usual smattering of children. In those dawn hours on the Bay Hap, if Kerry had felt like enforcing the no-movement rule to the letter, he could have ordered his men to shoot every Vietnamese on the sampans. The dead would have been matter-of-factly written off as VC trafficking goods during the U.S.–ordained curfew time.

Instead, Kerry slowed his boat down so that its wake wouldn't swamp the locals' shallow-draft rivercraft, and the men proceeded with guns cocked just in case anything unfriendly came their way. "They looked at us and we at them -- each staring with mistrust and fear," he remembered. Finally PCF-94 arrived at the opening to the small Dong Cung canal, where it was to rendezvous with the Swifts skippered by Lieutenants Skip Barker, Don Droz and Larry Thurlow, who would join them bearing the South Vietnamese Popular Forces members (called "Ruff-Puffs") they had picked up in Cai Nuoc.

Barker arrived leading the other boats, and the Swifts got in line headed for the tiny entrance to the Dong Cung canal. At its mouth the PCFs stopped and waited anxiously while Barker cut the wire connecting the fish stakes to make a hole wide enough for the Swifts to pass through. "Only a week earlier I had personally cut that same line," Kerry recalled. "But then, we had learned not to place any particular suspicion in any quarter. Everything could turn around and kill you, and any omen was suspect. And then, an innocent fisherman could easily have replaced it."

The canal was so narrow that the first two boats roiled the waterway around the fish stakes, causing the others to roll wildly from one side to the other. Ridiculously overburdened by the additional troops they had taken aboard from the crippled PCF-24, Kerry's Swift could make only about 10 knots. Fortunately, every so often the rebounding wakes from the boats in front of them would combine into just enough of a wave to pick PCF-94 up and send it hurtling forward.

As PCF-94 twisted and turned up the river, its crew occasionally losing sight of the other Swifts around the waterway's sharp turns, the Special Forces captain in the pilothouse with Kerry glanced at him knowingly as he intently scrutinized the banks for any sign of movement. But none appeared, in part because the mangroves rose so thick about them on both sides that they could barely see through them. "Christ, they can hear us coming for miles," the captain pointed out, "and I can't remember any ****in' thing in the history of war that runs like this -- taking friendly boats smack into VC territory so that they can be shot at." Then, "with a sigh that said '****,'" as Kerry put it, the captain returned to staring out the pilothouse door.

PCF-94 slowly approached the area where it had been ambushed a few weeks before, and they began to look for the place where they were supposed to deposit the ground troops. Lieutenant Skip Barker continued upriver, seeking to drop off the South Vietnamese troops at a point some 2,000 yards past the position of the drop-off point for the Cambodian Nung mercenaries. Kerry found the spot, and the boats nosed ashore into a small clearing, where the troops began moving onto the banks. A few minutes after all the Nung were ashore, the Swift crews heard a loud but muffled explosion inland. A voice came over the radio: "Can you come back in here and pick up a body? I've got one of my boys killed by a booby trap."

Mike Medeiros jumped ashore to join PCF-53's Thurlow, taking a couple of U.S. military-issue ponchos to carry back the mercenary's remains. Kerry secured his boat and followed the others ashore. "The Nung seemed to be wandering around almost aimlessly, unaware that one of them had bought the ticket," Kerry wrote in his journal. Their leader came up to him and told him where the dead body was. "I remembered easily who he was," Kerry wrote, "the loud, boisterous, fat, impish man who was something of a ringleader among the Nung and who had endeared himself to everyone by his funny face." The Americans started down to where Bac She De, the Nung mercenary, had died. Moments earlier Kerry had asked, "Is it bad?" The Nung leader had replied "that you could put him in 'a bucket,'" Kerry wrote. "I walked more carefully, looking where each step went so that I wouldn't trigger another trap."

Kerry and Medeiros came upon the crumpled remains of the Cambodian. "I never want to see anything like that again," Kerry confided in his diary. "What was left was human, and yet it wasn't -- a person had been there only moments earlier and… now was a horrible mess of torn flesh and broken bones; bent and bloody, limbs contorted and distorted as if they could never be alive. Most of his stomach was hollowed out and there was a huge hole that went through his mouth and nose to the other side. I didn't really want to look and so I concentrated on looking right through him, avoiding contact with any personality."

As the two enlisted men bundled up Bac She De, Kerry wrote: "I looked at the small green sack that had been booby-trapped, and was awed by visions of the blast that must have ensued when it had been grabbed at. Half a hootch had been blown out by the concussion and there was a frightening hole in the ground." The situation was too dangerous for further on-site reflection, however, and the Navy men started back to their boats. "We had to extricate this body by carrying him in a poncho," Medeiros remembered. "I was carrying the front end, and somebody else was carrying the back. We had to go through a mangrove swamp, tramping through all this mud. I had a [grenade launcher] strung over my back, my radio was inoperable, and we had to deposit this poncho on the stern of the boat."

As the landing party turned back up the path, "light fire suddenly started to rake up from a field over the trees to the left," Kerry recorded. "Everyone dove instantly into the ditch by the side of our dike and I landed in water and mud up to my waist with the muzzle of my M-16 firmly planted in the crap. A whole line of mercenaries had already formed in the ditch, all shooting madly at what seemed like nothing. However, the whiz of the bullets over our heads that was visually nothing was clearly lethal." Kerry continued: "And Bac She De lay in front of us crumpled in the poncho while this holocaust went on. His feet were sticking out of one end, and I couldn't take my eyes off the boots -- one going one way and the other the opposite direction -- and the whole thing just silhouetted where he had been dropped suddenly when the shooting began. The alive shooting over the dead to remain alive.

continued....

thedrifter
02-21-04, 12:17 PM
"I was amazed at how detached I was from the whole scene," Kerry went on. "I just lay in the ditch, not firing because I wanted to save ammo and because I couldn't see what I was firing at, and I thought about what was happening in New York at that very moment, and if people really felt that I was doing something worthwhile while they went down to Schrafft's and had another ice cream sundae, or while some fat little old man who made another million in the past months off defense contracts was charging another $100 call girl to his expense account. And then, when the shooting stopped, I came back to where I was."

Suddenly all was quiet, and everyone stayed low in the ditch while a call was placed to the LST to report what had happened and to request some helicopters to support the sweep-through area. Lieutenant Commander George Elliott, aboard the LST, requested the choppers, but the word came back that none were available. At that, "I swore," Kerry declared. "We had been promised that when the shooting got heavy, we would have helos to help us out. But the headquarters just said that they were otherwise disposed and we would have to do the best we could."

Unrattled, Elliott played the whole thing down, but he proceeded to send a couple of small flanking groups out on either side to feel out the enemy. The flankers and North Vietnamese immediately met and expanded the huge volume of fire, and more enemy fire started to come Kerry's way.

By this time Kerry had called the South Vietnamese out of their insertion area and asked them to come and help. Their insertion had been a fiasco anyway.

The Navy SEAL team sent to deploy in the area earlier that morning, to wait in ambush for VC to be flushed out by South Vietnamese troops, got lost. When it stumbled upon a friendly outpost, the allies mistakenly began firing at each other, leaving one of the SEALs hurt and several of the South Vietnamese badly wounded. In the course of their sweep, the South Vietnamese troops had actually flushed out some VC, but since no one had been there to intercept them, nothing had come of their efforts.

Using a walkie-talkie after the radio went dead, Kerry contacted his second-in-command, Del Sandusky, who was running things on PCF-94 . Kerry told the petty officer to take the Swift downstream and beach it at a spot parallel to theirs. Then they sneaked up onto the dike and pulled the poncho down with them into the ditch on the other side. Thurlow and one of his crewmen dragged Bac She De's body through the knee-deep mud as the group slogged through the mangroves toward the river.

The PCFs had beached almost directly behind them, but the team's movement through the mud proved so arduous it took another 10 minutes before they could haul the mutilated corpse on board. After they had a quick rinse in the canal and a few moments of rest, the other Swifts, bearing the South Vietnamese Popular Forces troops they had collected, joined PCF-94 . Together the boats proceeded 50 yards downstream, where a bigger clearing in the mangroves allowed the Swifts to train their twin .50-caliber machine guns more accurately at the area from where the earlier firing had come. Meanwhile, Elliott had moved his troops downstream on a parallel course through the mangroves' cover. "With a few small flanking teams covering them on either side, we powwowed there to decide the next move," Kerry recorded.

The mission had called for the Nung troops to make a sweep for Viet Cong through several thousand yards of jungle before being picked up in another canal on the other side. "When the Nung were on board Swifts, the VC stayed away," Fred Short of PCF-94 recalled. "They were terrified of them." The AK-47 fire had proved the enemy's presence, and the Nung, who were paid by the kill, wanted to sweep the area and find them. The South Vietnamese Popular Forces troops, however, were far less motivated to risk their lives. "We wanted the Ruff-Puffs to join us in order to create a force that definitely outclassed what we assessed the firepower of the enemy to be," Kerry wrote in his notebook. "They unloaded from the Swifts but then froze on the bank and refused to go any farther. What followed was disgusting and disheartening. At first they refused to go in because they said they would be fighting under an American commander and that this wasn't their bag. But I thought of the other times that we had gone in here, and that had to be bull****."

Mike Miggins, the U.S. Army adviser to the local ARVN (Army of the Republic of Vietnam), told Kerry the problem was most likely that the Popular Forces didn't want to fight alongside the mercenaries. Then the Ruff-Puffs' leader got on the radio with the ARVN district chief and spent the next half-hour arguing in frenzied Vietnamese about something. An agitated Kerry and crew just stood by helplessly as the bureaucrats on hand engaged in a political debate over the present situation. Having had enough of this, the mercenaries' leader "called his perimeter men and told them to fake a firefight, hoping this might excite our Viet colleagues into battle," Kerry reported. "The next few minutes were filled with tremendous thunder, as though the whole war was being fought in front of them, but it was to no avail. Some of the South Vietnamese got up and looked around and some others cocked their single-fire rifles, but by and large they just milled around. Then they just walked back and got onto the boats and sat down."

While most of the "Cream Puffs" -- as Kerry liked to call the Popular Forces after that -- scampered back to the boats, a few of the bravest made little forays around the area in front of them, where they turned up a substantial cache of Chinese-made grenades, ammunition and one or two land mines. One group found some wire leading down into the water and pulled it up slowly and carefully. No mine was attached, but there was a string of batteries at the other end. "They were American-issue, and we realized that the VC had been planning a reception for us in this very spot should we have tried sometime in the future to make a landing," Kerry recorded. "I could just see us beaching and unloading troops into a volley of claymores and underwater mines."

When AK-47 fire started to rake them again, Miggins and several of Kerry's men finally got so angry that they leaped off the Swifts and joined the mercenaries to start a sweep of their own. The impromptu squad moved through a string of surprisingly prosperous huts and fields, and then back on small paths toward a large open field. Kerry suddenly found himself walking through tall grass with a few of the Cambodian Nung, unable to communicate. "I don't think I ever felt so alone," Kerry remembered of that moment. "I could just see VC jumping out on us, and these guys running away or all of us getting rubbed [out]. I breathed a lot easier when we joined up with [the unit leader's] number-two man, who had been on another path over to the right of me. We found a small hut on the outskirts of the field, and there we regrouped and rested until moving back toward the boats. The hut was full of chickens and rustic implements, and a small pot was cooking on a fire that was still hot. As usual, the occupants were nowhere to be seen, having probably run away as soon as they heard the boats congregating in their area earlier in the morning." The Nung blew up some huge bins of rice they had found, since it was assumed, as always, that these were the local stockpiles earmarked to feed the hungry VC moving through the delta smuggling weapons.

Once back to their boats, "we moved full-speed out of the zone, as we had been there for a dangerously long time now and the chance of something greeting us on exit was pretty good," Kerry wrote. Every man on the mission fully expected to get hit on the thin stretch of the Dong Cung canal on the way out, but somehow they all made it to the Bay Hap unscathed. The Swifts rounded the point toward the village of Cai Nuoc, anxious to get rid of their "Cream-Puff" passengers, out of the river and back to the LST. For the first time that Kerry could remember, however, there were no children there to greet them as they went into Cai Nuoc -- in fact, the pier was practically deserted. "Had we been paying attention," Kerry noted, "the obvious clue that something was up would have hit full force in the face, but, because we were all ****ed off and anxious to clear out, we just unloaded and moved away."

continued......

thedrifter
02-21-04, 12:19 PM
Almost casually, the Swifts formed up and headed out from the village. The five boats had gone about half a mile when the blast came. Right where they had been hit on an earlier mission, a mine...

namgrunt
02-21-04, 10:01 PM
I'm waiting for the sequel, where John goes back to Vietnam, and meets with high-ranking Party officials to start the process of "normalization" between our two countries. He will discover he needs to quash POW-MIA inquiries in order for the public to forget the missing and unaccounted for GIs from the Vietnam War. Unless, of course, the notes from those events somehow disappear.

I won't hold my breath waiting.

MillRatUSMC
02-22-04, 06:54 AM
Seeing that John Forbes Kerry is chair to the Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA.
The process of "normalization will get done faster than if any other was chair to that committee.
He another officer that got his card punch on a six month tour of duty.
Still we would be remissed if one did not acknowledge his medals...
Yet he not the only one that used that three times wounds to get out of the war zone.
Is one service better than other?
God only knows...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

greybeard
02-22-04, 03:40 PM
This article was written by Douglas Brinkley and originally appeared in the April 2004 issue of American History.

A neat trick, considering it is just now Feb 2004.

namgrunt
02-22-04, 04:03 PM
Yep, next thing you know, it will be Christmas at Easter time. These guys have to stop playing with mushrooms. The Jefferson Starship left the solar system long ago.

usmc4669
03-02-04, 09:12 AM
Senator John F. Kerry often cites his service in Vietnam as a formative element of his character. A new account of his time there—based on interviews with those who knew him well, and on his...

jfreas
03-07-04, 09:57 PM
The following letter I received from a Friend. Very interesting point.Republican National Committee. <br />
I will be sending you another package of material tomorrow. If you want me to stop just let me...

namgrunt
03-07-04, 10:31 PM
In light of the amount of information President Bush has had to make available for public scrutiny, I think Major Jim Cannon has a case for further investigation of ALL military records of John...

MillRatUSMC
03-08-04, 07:01 AM
Everything I read about John Forbes Kerry tour in Vietnam, seem like frosting on a cake.
It covers the truth, his seeing what was left of Bac She De and all the other actions.
He was in left him with horrific memories.
Don't we all have horrific memories of our tour or tours of Vietnam?
The differance is that most of us, had enough respect for those we left behind doing a difficult job.
We knew that anything done in the sttreets of USA was comfort to those we had being fighting.
John Forbes Kerry is the only one responsibile for the actions while member of Vietnam Veterans Against the War, no one else.
I must differ on checking further investigation of all military records of John Forbes Kerry.
That might open a can of worms, where do we stop?
Check everyone military records on their tour, tours in Vietnam...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
03-08-04, 07:26 AM
I was in a hurry, that why I misspell streets...here a correction on spelling and grammar...
Everything I read about John Forbes Kerry tour in Vietnam, seem like frosting on a cake.
It covers the truth, his seeing what was left of Bac She De and all the other actions that he was in.
Left him with horrific memories.
Don't we all have horrific memories of our tour or tours of Vietnam?
The differance is that most of us, had enough respect for those we left behind doing a difficult job.
We knew that anything done in the streets of USA was comfort to those we had being fighting.
John Forbes Kerry is the only one responsibile for the actions he commit while member of Vietnam Veterans Against the War, no one else.
I must difer on further investigation of all military records of John Forbes Kerry.
That might open a can of worms, where do we stop?
Check everyone military records on their tour or tours in Vietnam...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

namgrunt
03-08-04, 07:31 AM
MillRat
The suggestion of opening all records would just be counter-ballast to the sort of inspection which has already been committed upon the records of George W. Bush. It would be the same scrutiny, but applied to his opponent. That seems fair to me. In fact, if it isn't done to the same degree, then it gives the Democrat Candidate an unfair advantage.

Of course, that is something which we are becoming accustomed to already. The national TV broadcast media have demonstrated varying degrees of bias in favor of Kerry already. I'm sure they would never really go after him, since he is their choice for President.

Semper Fi!

CplDawson
03-17-04, 01:34 PM
Got one question for every one! <br />
<br />
I read in a news report on FOXNEWS.com that in &quot;1985&quot; the North Vietnamese General in charge of the armed forces citied in his book about the war that, John Kerry...

usmc4669
03-17-04, 02:00 PM
Go to this web site <br />
<br />
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/2/10/222651.shtml

CplDawson
03-17-04, 02:50 PM
Thats it! Why is this not being covered and why is this not being thrown in his face........This combined with just about every improvement on the Militarys arsenal being voted down, why is this not being put before him!

Who are these vetereans that support such a man?

I am at a loss for understanding........When it comes to the lesser of 2 evils even someone would think that Veterans would still choose Bush!

usmc4669
03-17-04, 03:49 PM
Who are these vetereans that support such a man?

A lot of those who supports Kerry who claims to be veterans never served in the Arm forces, like the ones who belongs to the VVAW.

It all started in 1967, with six Vietnam veterans marching together in a peace demonstration. Now, thirty-seven years later, VVAW is still going strong-- continuing its fight for peace, justice, and the rights of all veterans.

vfm
03-17-04, 06:16 PM
The main issue here is that first Kerry served in Nam.
Then he is an active member in Viet Nam Vets against the war.
Now he wants to re-claim his "heroic" status for his own political gain.
I want a straight shooter for My President and Commander-in Chief.
Semper Fi!!
vfm
P.S. Ellie Thanks for the outstanding post

namgrunt
03-17-04, 08:24 PM
John Kerry's final mission to Vietnam has not happened yet. He has met with some leaders of that country while already an U.S. Senator. He has used his influence to open up the country for U.S. businesses. He will be named "Hero of the Peoples Republic of Vietnam" someday. His horseface will grace statues dedicated to his honor.

Though he may be called an "honorable Senator" from the State of Massachusetts, he has no honor. The question boils down to whether the American public likes Heinz Ketchup on their bo-tox treated "Waffle".