PDA

View Full Version : The start of meade river / 1968

billcpoulton
11-28-20, 03:30 PM
On Nov. 20th, I was told to go see a Capt. about a problem at Liberty Bridge. I went in and he said to go out to Liberty Bridge and fix a forklift, they will need it working. But you won't want to go today because it's real hot out there today. Out of my mouth comes out,SO!!!. He said ,you have balls. The light in my head went off. What the hell did you just say? I went and g ot my gear, and extra ammo. I carried a gas mask full of tools. My job, I was the heavy junk mechanic for the Arizona. I wore red patches. Before Vietnam, I carried an extra 25 pounds on my back, humping hills at Camp Pendleton with 28 Marines. Radio man most of the time. When I got to the road going out to Liberty Bridge,no one around. I sat ,waiting for a truck to come bye. A jeep pulled up, and the driver called out,where are you going? I looked up, the driver was a General. Not today. I'll drive you back to your hooch. Made it to Liberty Bridge the next day. Got my broken alternator. Slept at Liberty that night, Da Nang side. One of the marines there asked me if I wanted to ride shotgun in his jeep . He had to get to Da Nang. Off we went, passed villages that were deserted almost., very few people. Made it to hill 55,then Da Nang.I aways went to the Air Forse for parts. I found a ride to hill 55 and stayed the night. Next , truck dride to Liberty Bridge. Fixed the forklift and stayed the night. All this time I really had no idea what was going on. Thanksgiving morning I watched a marine phantom jet dive straight down in the sky, then drop his bombs. What a ride,he had. I caught a ride on a truck, there were maybe three or four trucks going to An Hoa base. About half way on liberty road, we stopped. All jumped out and got down,and got ready. Me and three newbys. Out of bushes ,about 300-500 ft. away . Two Grunts came running with a black body bag, as fast as they could run. My mind was asking, what do they know that I don't. The bag was thrown into the back of the truck and they ran back into the bushes. One of the newbys asked me ,was he dead? I said , they would not throw him into the truck like that if he was not. We made it to An Hoa. I got to the hooch where I had a bunk when I was here. It overlooked the helle.pad. Thanksgiving dinner was over. I sat on the steps of the hooch,next to the mess hall, and opened a can of chicken noodle soup. I was so thankful that I was sitting there. The guys like Mongoose, Advanced, Capt Kirk, Fistfu, Devildoc25 and many more are my heroes. They were the ones running back into the bushes. Thanksgiving means alot to me. I will always think about the Grunt that died on Thanksgiving near the Liberty road. Bill

Mongoose
11-29-20, 03:19 PM
Damn, that recount made my heart start to race. I could smell it and taste it. I could feel that weird sensation again.....just saying...

billcpoulton
11-29-20, 03:51 PM
I was on the road, you guys were in the bush. Let's tell a few stories before we are gone. Bill

advanced
11-30-20, 11:12 AM
Great post Bill. Your post has made me reevaluate some of my time in the Nam. From my experience commenting like you've done about those 2 grunts running back into the bush was totally normal "for them." When you've spent 13 months spending 3 - 4+ weeks at a time out in those places (The Arizona, Dodge City, NO GO Island, the hook) living like an animal, hunting other animals, it becomes your home. And like home you become comfortable in it. You know, most of us have always called ourselves "Bush Marines" though most people have no understanding of what we mean - but we do.

I've learned through my life that fear is simply a lack of reference. When your mind is full of reference, to over simplify it, the fear goes away. Now, we were also realists in that most of us knew that we were pretty certain that we weren't ever coming out of there (we had boo koo references of all the ways something bad was going to happen to us). That's most likely what makes MC infantry so dangerous. If you're going to die anyway, you have a choice; all squirreled up in the fetal position, or facing forward and making what's coming at you pay one hellava price. And you totally trust your bud's that are with you to unfvck you if you're hit bad.

To me personally, the big difference at Mead River, is that in my head all my luck had faded away and I knew for a time that I wasn't going to make it. Because of my prior experiences though I was OK with knowing that so I simply went into what I call deadly/dangerous mode. Fortunately the 3/26 fought their way into us, together we regrouped and attacked. That's why I've always credited Mongoose and FistFu for saving my life. People don't understand that you just don't ever want to go against a bunch of "19" year old piissed off Marines with guns.

There were worse places though, Happy Vally being one badd asssed place for sure.

billcpoulton
11-30-20, 10:20 PM
Fear. When your mind is full of reference, your fear goes away. Me, I just got tired of thinking I was going to have my number called. It doesn't happen all at once, almost like a cloud comes over your mind. You get hard. And you know the look. I never thought I would make it to 21. Now I have five great grand children. They call me Grampy. Only a few know how hard it was to get here. Bill

advanced
12-01-20, 08:49 AM
Ain't that the truth. Just saying.

When I got home I became a cop in the projects of Memphis, and I loved it - I had found my sweet spot. Being a cop you could get a drink every night, and with all the nurses in the hospitals it was very easy getting laid every night as well. I was in heaven.

Looking back I realize that in the Nam my experiences had changed me. There's that think called "fight or flight." I understand now that being in the bush during my tour the MC had taken out the "flight" option. I remember hearing a voice in my head when things got bad, "I don't like that," and instinctively I'd just take it out, no questions. The "fight" part was deeply ingrained in me. I think this is kind of "normal" for those of us in the bush.

I never got hit in the Nam, the cops either for that part, so I spent my full 13 months in the bush not even getting to go on R&R as Meade River cancelled mine. The doc's would tell me my problem was that I thought I was immortal, of course I'd tell them they would be as well if they kept coming out of all the shivt holes that I came out of, over and over again. I now think that being so deeply immersed for so long in the deep shivt changes anyone/most.

I realize today that I cannot get involved in arguments or "fight" because I just don't know how to stop. So I use avoidance to keep from going into fight mode. I've paid many prices being me, and since the world has changed so much who gives a shivt today. These were our goals from the Nam.

If I live -Highly unlikely
I'm going back to the world - Kind of vague isn't it.
And live happily ever after - Not much of a plan is it.

The VA doc's today have me listed 100% P&T PTSD. I was lucky that I never got wounded and even now I don't seem to have any problems with AO. The Gods have been good to me. S/F

billcpoulton
12-01-20, 12:11 PM
100% P.T.S.D., How many of us came home with that, with one or two tours? There are many after us in other wars that made how many tours? I have found a lot of ways to handle this memory. I live in the mountains, I flyfish alot, and in the spring, summer and fall. I have an English Country Garden. I do things so not to think,of Hue City, Phu Loc, An Hoa, And Meade River. We are now the old guys. The ones after us will have to learn how to handle their memories.You can go down different roads. Find one that will make you happy inside. You have earned it.Bill

advanced
12-01-20, 01:44 PM
I started out at Hue City, I was there with the 1/5, we took the north side of the river. I recently read some after action reports and our Capt Harrington said that we went into Hue with 120 Marines. We came out with 39 of us still standing. I did make Cpl out of it though. After that I was sent to the 3/5 out at An Hoa, although we were only there a couple of days every 3-4 weeks. We sure had some cold beer there though.

Don't get me wrong, with my PTSD I've never been a victim, I used to was always an extremely aggressive type A personality the doc's told me. I used to joke and say "then how come my friends (my squad) called me the wimp.

They say at Hue we wrote the book about "house to house, door to door." Later when I became a TACT officer cop that experience came in very useful, also, we took them all alive when I was on the team which I'm very proud of.

I don't fish but I do ride a motorcycle, been riding for years. In all these years I only had one wreck (I got sideswiped) and landed on my feet. And when I hit that deer at 50+mph in the pouring rain I stayed up. I've always had the charm it seems. But, yes we're all older now.

Cpl Keller
12-02-20, 08:59 AM
Thanks for sharing these recollections- I have nothing but the utmost respect for all of you.
The way soldiers were treated when they returned home from Nam is one of the biggest disgraces in this country's history.

billcpoulton
12-02-20, 10:59 AM
The words WELCOME HOME mean a lot, to some it means even more. Bill

Mongoose
12-02-20, 03:03 PM
I had just recently turned 21. By the Grace of God, I might add. Meade River was a brutal devastating operation. It was a Haven for Booby-traps. But, the most chilling recollection I have is the hundreds of NVA Machine Gun Bunkers. In many cases one bunker covering another bunker. Sometimes 3 bunkers covering for each other. The noise was deafening. Screaming and hollering and constant small arms and machine-gun fire. Mortar rounds hitting everywhere. We were called to hump it up to the Hook, to help the 3/5 who was suffering heavy causalities. They were out flanked on 3 sides. My Co. went along the river edge and came in behind the frontal NVA position. When we unleashed hell on 'em, it allowed the 3/5 to get their wounded and kia's out and regroup, We took on the Gooks from 2 sides then. As many ran toward the river to get away from the crazy Marines, they were met with Kill groups waiting on the far banks. Gun support was called in and the USS New Jersey sitting on the coast waiting started sending in those God awful 16 in. rounds. The ground shook like an earthquake when they hit. We were damn thankful they didn't under estimate, as those rounds came in right over our heads. A short time later I was hit by 7 pieces of shrapnel from a mortar round. I was out of it, but it continued for several more days. Like Russ, I missed my R&R by being in Bat. Aid for several days. It was something I will never forget.....just saying. I have the upmost respect and Honor for those Marines that fought and died and fought and lived there.

billcpoulton
12-02-20, 03:21 PM
WELLCOME HOME<Bill

advanced
12-03-20, 12:08 PM
Back in 68 we Meade River Marines had been in that operation for over a week, then this past Monday or Tuesday we (the 3/5) "discovered" the Hook. About now, back then, the 3/26 was fighting their way into us. Nothing like feeling the heat from those napalm runs, hats off to our aviators. The bunker complex Billy mention consisted of 250 concrete reinforced heavy bunkers. Our govt. had been giving the gook farmers bags of concrete to help them out. They sure put it 2 good use.

Today, as a much kinder, gentler Marine, the gods are still fvcking with me. How, of all people do I end up with a family of Vietnamese living directly next door to me. Seems I still have things to learn. Ya can't escape the gods having fun.

billcpoulton
12-03-20, 12:38 PM
Napalm tumbling over your heads,[ Please,Please, keep going. I was in an ambush on Hwy one ,going over the pass, going north of Da Nang. Navy jets dropping napalm over our heads. Ask the CAP guys what they thought of the bags of concrete idea. Looks like Clint Eastwood made a movie about you, Grand Torino. Bill

Deduke
12-06-20, 06:37 AM
Caps were a unique situation in that intel went up the ladder. We knew the poop before the people in the rear decided what was actually true. Each Cap was an individual "operation", with different situations. In my Cap, we figured our PFs were probably 50% VC and treated them accordingly. We had a Kit Carson Scout for a short while that we were pretty sure was VC and we got rid of him in a hurry.

billcpoulton
12-06-20, 12:55 PM
Would you have known Ken Frost? I was with him in 28 Marines, 1967. He was in Cap, two tours. I rode with him back from An Hoa, When 27 Marine left for Da Nang.He told me he had just come from identifying the bodies of his unit. He had told them to sleep on top of their bunker . They did not listen. It was not easy for him to be going home.

Deduke
12-06-20, 06:39 PM
No, I didn't. All Caps eventually went from compounds to 100% mobile because of being overrun. I personally would not have liked being in a compound. Even though we never stayed in one spot more than 8 hours, it was harder to find us.

billcpoulton
12-06-20, 09:03 PM
Before I went to Vietnam,they wanted me to go to language school in Monterey, Calif.I got out of that. Cap units have been a mystery to me and maybe alot more people. Someday, tell us more. Where you around when Meade River was happening?

Deduke
12-07-20, 07:31 AM
I was in country in 1970, so Meade River was before my time. A good book to read about CAP is &quot;The Village&quot; by Bing West. Being an officer, he was not actually in the CAP, but he was heavily involved...

billcpoulton
11-21-21, 05:41 PM
Where were you 53 years ago today?

FistFu68
11-21-21, 08:36 PM
In the Evening of My Memories,I always go back.Im there right now,been sitting out in the dark with My Pup Dog,kinda foggy out with the Moon putting a weird haze around me and Buck my Pup.Wife says I’ve been very weird and super quiet last day or so.We live out in the Sticks now,I don’t have a clock in my Room or a Calendar,but My Biological Clock always lets Me know,what Time it Is...Meade River Madness,I just put Buck in his crate and now gonna go back outside and sit in the Dark.

FistFu68
11-22-21, 09:26 AM
Had too not Burn but Incinerate a few Bridges behind Me,one was a Marine I never knew that was in Weapons Plt On Meade River...He was a Flame Thrower operator,I used His Body as a Sandbag right after He got His Brains Blown out trying too BBQ a Bunker in the Hook...all these years I wanted to know Who he was ? He was very brave because We had no cover,but I did after He was wasted...He was an Italian Guy from Up State New York...there was about 15 of Em in the Phone book White page that I found online...I drank a 6pack and called all of Em,I almost gave Up...but last one a Lady answered and I asked if She knew of this Marine ? There was a long Pause and She yes,they where married two weeks before He went too Vietnam...I felt good but then felt very Bad all at the same time.Said no one ever contacted Her besides the Marines that came notifying Her of His Death.Im gonna Go Bust Some Beers down now...Adios

advanced
11-22-21, 10:39 AM
For those that don't know, Meade River was a search and destroy operation out in the Arizona Territory, mostly in the Dodge City and No Go Island areas. It was the largest insertion of Marines by chopper up to that time, consisting of 7 Marine Battalions. All of the Marines got on line surrounding the large AO, many with metal plungers attempting to find gook tunnels. As we all moved forward we were closing in on the circle pushing all the NVA to the center so that we could kill them. There were also Marine snipers on opposing river banks to take out any NVA that successfully broke through our lines.

During the beginning of Dec my battalion the 3/5 found the Hook (250 reinforced concrete bunkers) and all hell broke loose, I actually thought I was a goner on this one. Never ending machine gun and small arms fire, grenades, bloopers, napalm runs, B-52 runs, 155 and other rounds firing in support of us and of course the battle ship New Jersey firing in our support. Through this the 3/26 (Jack & Billy) fought their way into us in support and together, reinforced we over ran and took the Hook. The noise was deafening, the smells of death, this experience was not for the faint hearted to say the least.

Today I live just south of Sarasota in the FREE state of Florida. It's like going back in time here, very little crime. I live on a couple of of acres with all types of birds and other wildlife. One of my hobbies is shooting black birds off of my bird feeder. They're just like the NVA, pushing out all the other birds. Of course very few of them come around anymore as I'm up to 121 confirmed kills with my pellet rifle and my sniper scope.

I ride with the Combat Vets Motorcycle Assn. for over 12 years now, where I helped start our SW Florida chapter. I served as the chapter commander for almost 4 years. Most of our VN vets are not as active today and my vision of building the chapter and having it taken over by much younger vets has now occurred.

Life is good today, but I must admit that the memories from my time in the Nam are always with me. I think it's safe to say that I'm no longer a super strong type A, or maybe no one sees it. Who would think an old guy like me today would have the past that many of us have. Once again, a special thanks to Mongoose and FistFu for saving my young ass back at Meade River, both of them have Steele Balls. Just saying.

Cpl Keller
11-22-21, 11:06 AM
Nothing but respect for all of you. During my time in, I tried to live up to the standards you guys set.
A lot of today's "soldiers" aren't fit to shine your boots.

billcpoulton
11-22-21, 11:55 AM
Russ,Billy,and FistFu68, I hope I have not stirred the pot to much. If I have ,my APOLOGY. Bill

FistFu68
11-22-21, 12:22 PM
As far as I'm Concerned its all good Bill,at least I know;Im not the only one that was there; and Survived !! Its never spoken of In My Home,my Daughter's never heard me talk about My Experiences,My Great Wife the Col's Daughter...doesn't have a Clue besides the Scars on my Body...Hell I told her Years ago,that a Great White tore into Me while Surfing the Great Barrier Reef,Same thing I told all My Grandkids lol Its good for Me not too keep it all pened UP inside for all these years...this is the only place I speak of my time in that Chit Hole many moons ago,Call Me Jack Bill...its all good Semper Fi Brother

advanced
11-22-21, 12:27 PM
No Bill, not at all. I've started many posts this time of the year in the past with "Guess what time it is; that's right Marines, it's Mead River Time." It's funny in a way as Meade River was one of the most defining times in my life, and if you weren't there no ones ever heard of it. So, it's something we learn to deal with privately. I'm certain that it's the same way for so many other Marines, past present and future.

Of course the day before Valentines Day is another big one for me because as a fng I went on line at Hue and became a Marine. Today, I'm sure no one has ever heard of it either.

I believe the largest shared trait of most MC Infantry is that we all learned to not be afraid of the dark. At least that's what I tell people. What most people never get is that in the shivt the dark is everywhere, isn't it.

Whenever in the past I came across other Marines from the line companies, we always talk, where we were at, when, how many times you've been married (4 for me). Then, as we get more uncomfortable but happy for meeting up once again with like kind, we then move on.

Mongoose
11-22-21, 03:34 PM
Around this time in 68 we were staging for (Meade River). We were surprised as Battalion choppered in a Thanksgiving treat. Had some turkey and dressing and a few other things. Only time this ever happened. As I look back, I wonder if they were just fattening us up for what was about to happen. Jacks Plt. Sgt. received the MOH. The 3/26 also had 2 Navy Crosses, 10 Silver Stars, 34 Bronze Stars with "V". There was also boo-koo Navy Commendation Medals and Navy Marine Corps Achievement Medals with "V". They also received the Navy Unit Citation for their action there. Not long after Meade River we went afloat on the U.S.S. Valley Forge for about 10 days to rest up. We then started operation Taylor Common during the 69 Tet Counter Offensive. They broke the Mold on old Grunts like Russ and Jack. They were the kind of Marines you was honored to jump into a fighting hole with.....just saying....

FistFu68
11-26-21, 08:29 AM
On this day after Thanksgiving,running ShootOuts from NVA trying to Break out of Cordon...Night time AirStrikes and Big Guns pounding our next objective...Im in a old Graveyard with Flares being cooked off from Puff doing His thing around Us...the sound of the Flare swinging back and forth with the Flares burning is Weird almost like a Banchee screaming...Very Spooky night...Im out on a Killer Team...India 3 Charles...we encountered Many Booby Traps in this Triple canopy area before It got dark...Starlight scope and all the Shadows make it look like the NVA are dancing all around Us...Crazy Chit...Puff is giving Us Three out here one Helluva light show

advanced
11-26-21, 09:47 AM
I hear ya Jack, we used to call them ghosts in the lume, makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up straight. Puff was a bad son of a bittch. Just saying.

billcpoulton
11-26-21, 12:48 PM
An HOA, I remember sitting on the steps in front of my hooch in An Hoa that night looking toward the river and watching the puff show. Firing streams of bullets down on the river area. I have always wondered what was going on that night. LUCK IN WAR., They wanted to send me to go to language school. I did not want to waste their time, I flunked Spanish twice in school. Some Remington Raider put back into my old M.O.S. . Pure luck, that I was not under puff with you , Jack.Welcome Home, I know how hard it was to get home. Bill

advanced
11-26-21, 01:54 PM
Every night I ever spent at An Hoa I saw constant lume in the sky. The old saying was that whenever Da Nang was getting rocketed An Hoa was either getting their wire probed or they were getting a full blown ground attack somewhere on the wire.

My time at Meade River got real exciting after the 1st of Dec 68 when we hit the Hook. With the New Jersey and the B 52s and the napalm runs, not to even mention the deafening sound of small arms. I remember the night before we and the 3/26 over ran the Hook they had, I guess arvan's, on loudspeakers telling the NVA we were coming in and taking the place in the morning. The NVA was being told to either surrender or die, no prisoners. Well, I'm here to tell you those NVA, just like at Hue, stood their ground and duked it out with us.

Ever wonder what went through the minds of all the Marines that were out in that shivt night after night, especially on the pitch black nights. Every night out in the bush we positioned ourselves off of a path in ambush position, half of us awake and half trying to get some sleep. Hard to get much sleep with only 6-8 of us at any time in my squad. In the summer in that heat I'd try to cover up with my liner to keep the bugs off, except in the rain with lume or the moon up above us. Those liners would reflect the light so we'd just take whatever MN felt like giving us.

All kinds of things would go through my mind, memories from home, memories of the weeks and months before. All my bud's that were now gone. I don't remember getting that scared very often, I guess you just get used to it. As our company and squad were always getting fng's I always hoped the new guys could hold up. They were all very afraid in the beginning, I'd often tell my friends to thank God for the new guys or they'd be getting more of us. It was always hardest when one of my good bud'g got it.

During the days we were always very aggressive hunters, looking for the NVA, and when we or another of our squads found them we'd hope to hell that we'd get reinforced most ricki tick. Many squads didn't make it.

When I got out of the MC and went back home I became a city cop in Memphis. I remember thinking when I 1st heard about I PTSD, Id'd think hell no. The squad cars we used to drive back in 1970 were the big 69 Fords. If you were riding in those cars the passenger dash was big and curved toward the windshield. The blue lights were up on the roof and were round. Our shotguns were locked to the dash standing upright. I remember on every hot call with with the blue lights sweeping around in a circle and the shotgun in front of me that I was on another chopper going into another hot LZ. On those choppers, mainly 46's Marines sit down on these low seats against the wall and we'd hold our rifles upright in front of us. So, here I was flipping out in a PTSD dream over and over never even knowing it. We MPD officers made boo koo hot calls in those downtown precincts. I loved being a cop has I had to continue having my adrenalin rushes. I was addicted to violence. And, I'm very proud that I learned how to take the bad guys alive, instead of just killing everyone like I learned in the Nam. Just saying.

Mongoose
11-26-21, 02:55 PM
Like Russ had said before, Meade River was the one place where I thought I would never live through. The way the Hook was laid out, you never knew where the shet would hit the fan next. The NVA were fierce fighters and deserved respect for their do or die attitude. No pussies in that group.

FistFu68
11-26-21, 06:54 PM
Tightening the Noose~~~~~~two or three days later,Right across the River late afternoon;all Hell broke loose small arms Ak-47’s.My squad leader comes crawling next too Me.He goes we gotta Hat Up.A Force Recon Team was heading outta the Hook AO and got Ambushed.About 10 of Us led by 1st Lt.Brian Webber double timed throw a rice paddy through another USMC Company who was a Blocking Force...it was almost Dark by then.A CH-46 that was the Extraction bird for the Force Recon team while on the ground got Hit.The Force Recon Team was just about 50’yrds from the Chopper and the NVA lit them UP...We dug in Cause F-4’s where doing Gun runs with the Cannons F-En the area up right in front of Us.We started digging little Holes and Using Heat Tabs in front of Each of Us,so Puff could See Us..waiting for the Arrival Of Puff once again Who was on call for Us...That Chit going on around Us in a Circle ⭕️ was the Most Crazy Chit I’d ever experienced as I’m sure it was for the other Marines that where there...it went on for Hrs...At Sunrise We retrieved the KIA Bodies of that Team...Another Crazy Day and Night for Me...Meade River Madness

Mongoose
11-27-21, 05:06 AM
We finally got the NVA out-flanked on 3 sides and was pushing them toward the River, the fighting was intensified to the point where there was instances of hand-to-hand. The NVA was desperate at this point and nothing was off the table. They were given several chances to stop and walk out alive, but, I think they had already tossed that prospect out the window. It was at this point that I got out of this nightmare with the help of a mortar round. However, the fight continued and we prevailed. The 3/26 although depleted as hell, was then ordered up to the Northern Bunkers where it was a repeat of the Hook. I'm not real sure, but I think this was around the 10th of Dec.

FistFu68
11-27-21, 11:47 AM
Go Pi$$ UP a Rope Sniper~~~one Helluva Night Cold and Wet and Starving...No Biggy got a JOB to Do...India 3 had just a Huge Treeline many Booby Traps moving towards a Railroad berm...Treeline funnel’s down along side of the Railroad berm...about 15wide for a whole company too Hump thru.It was my time too Walk point again~~~getting my Mind Right and Vision down...see 6 AF Wild Weasels not very high above Us going so slow thought they where gonna stall~~~a few seconds later they Drop ordnance that looked like Large Darts with Fat bodies on Em.Then I feel a Chopper turbulence churning Up the Air...a Huey is about 50 yards from me too Me left landing On the Top Of The Railroad Berm...really Foked with My Concentration and Vision blowing all that Chit in the Air...then Two Men Jump Off the Skids crouching as they move forward.Division Sniper Team sent from ? First thought I’m my Head Stupid Fen Move HotShots...I told Em this area has not been cleared of Booby Traps...One Of Yells Back Fuk You and Flips Me OFF...I just smile and Told Em Go Pi$$ UP a Rope Sniper...LoL a Second later there was a Big Boom...They had stepped on an Anti Tank Mine...that Huey that dropped them off was called back too Pick Em as a medivac they where both very bad off...Then I look in front of Me,I see a little thing shining at Me like a Diamond...a OD Trip Wire had a Nick in it exposing bare Shiny wire...that wire led too a Claymore along side of Trail right next Too Me,then I had Pucker Factor and Instant ERECTION that was wired too a Big Bomb Of Unexploded Ordnance from a B-52...It was a Great feeling when the Whole company behind Me in a Long Rat line~~~passes Up a Big can of Apple Juice and Pogey Bait...I wasted Cold and Hungry for the Rest of The Day !!

m14ed
11-27-21, 02:35 PM
My cover is off to you MarineVeterans of
them field ventures.........
Sure was a *itch knowing just where you were
trying to watch back home in the world on TV....

Newbies kept changing the names......

this place and that....

billcpoulton
11-27-21, 04:01 PM
To those who have read this post, the stories coming from these three Grunts. WOW!! Guys, let it out. Operation Meade River was pure hell for Marine Grunts in 1968. I have the honor to start this post,and give you a view of what real Marines went thru in Vietnam. There are many stories to be told. May this be the start of some other Marines to open up and let their stories out. Bill

m14ed
11-28-21, 02:46 PM
the stories coming from these three Grunts. WOW!!

Guys, let it out.

Operation Meade River was pure hell for Marine Grunts in 1968.
I have the honor to start this post,
and give you a view of what real Marines went thru in Vietnam.

There are many stories to be told.

May this be the start of some other Marines to open up

and let their stories out.

Bill

I'm not out to take anything away
from anybody that went anywhere
in RVN.....

I didn't mean it that way-

WE agree -

"Let it all hang out "

Shouldn't take a Battalion Beer Blast

FistFu68
11-28-21, 03:58 PM
Nobody ever asked what good I did,just how many people I killed ? I’m Gone~~~~~~~:flag:

billcpoulton
11-28-21, 06:04 PM
Ed, please don't think there is any thing wrong. No one one feels that way. We are good. Jack, I know the good you and all grunts have done. Nothing but respect. When I fish, if I see people. I move. Bill

billcpoulton
11-28-21, 11:37 PM
To those who have read these posts,the stories coming from these three Grunts. Wow!! Guys let it out. Operation Meade River was pure hell for Marine Grunts in 1968. I have the honor to start these posts and give you a view of what real Marines went thru in Vietnam. There are many stories to be told. May this be the start of some other Marines to open up and let their stories out. Bill

advanced
11-29-21, 08:21 AM
Jack, whenever I was asked how many people I killed I'd tell them just enough to come back home. Even my oldest grandson asked me that question. I went to the weekly VA counseling groups for about 4+ years back in the early 90's. There were mixed service people there, The Marines that I met from the line companies were very different from the others in the counseling groups, most of them were hard corps like us. Watching them I began to see that those "therapists" didn't have a clue how to help us. Eventually they just pensioned us off.

I wouldn't take the VA's drugs or enter into their 30 day resident programs, the doc's and therapist told me that I self medicated and until I stopped they couldn't help me. I stopped looking for help from the VA early 96 and haven't been back.

One of my sisters used to tell me that I had a dependence on woman as I always had one or more woman in my life. One thing I did find out in counseling was that my biggest fear was from something I had seen a number of times in the Nam. One of our small squads being overrun with everyone dead except for the last one, who'd be all fuvcked up and unable to do himself. He was always easy to spot because how the gooks totally fucvked him up before killing him. I found out that deep in my mind having women with me I was never alone, never the last man. The way we can live shivt out as a result of that damn war. And to think I always though I had all those woman because I just likked pusssy. Just saying.

FistFu68
11-29-21, 08:43 AM
I hear You Brother Russ,they tried shoving that Counseling down my throat in that time frame You mentioned.I didn’t have anything to prove or anyone to impress.Had a PHD Doctor thought She was The Chit,it was all book knowledge,I had too Reluctantly tell Her,Her knowledge of a Real Deal Combat Veteran Marine was an Insult too My Intelligence.She goes You won’t Fit Into this Program and Group...I’d don’t take their Meds never will,I’ve never been a Druggie.Men like You & I have been too Hell and come out the other Side~~~not many are Alive that went into the Hook Brother...a lot of Marines in my Company where Hill 881S Khe Spahn Vets...putting them in a Poncho still reminds Me of What the Real Deal was all about !! We are Survivors Russ,No VA Horsechit will ever Matter too Men like You and I and others who lived through Hell on Earth...BTW I love Pu$$ also,the better looking the better lol

FistFu68
11-29-21, 08:59 AM
Oh I know how too Spell,hard doing these Comments when I’ve got a 10 wk old German shepherd Pup clamping On too My Paw He’s My Psyche Doctor lol Aye Aye Semper Fi

advanced
11-29-21, 10:31 AM
I hear you 2 brother Fist, I liked the good looking one's as well, except for that one fat one I woke up with that morning. I had to get out of there because she wanted more of me. To this day I hope no one that I knew saw me going home with her from my favorite 3 4 1 bar.

Yup, we lived a life quite different than most, every day was a holiday and every meal was a feast. The Mean, Green, Killing Machine. It ain't been easy living our lives for men like us. No one can imagine the prices we've had to pay.

I'm bracing myself for Wednesday, the 1st of dec. that's when my gang 1st hit the hook, and the memories come flooding in all over again. I've always felt responsible 4 my young guys that depended on me, I was their squad leader. They all stood their ground, made me proud.

I think you're right about Marines like us not being around any more, just about all the Marines that I've known that were on the line like us are all gone now or sick real bad. Or maybe they're like me today, I'm more of a loner and stay 2 myself most of the time. I don't have a pup, but I do have my 2 Indians. Go easy brother. Just saying.

FistFu68
11-29-21, 11:00 AM
I can spare most that are reading these comments about the Deep KimChee that was from the 1st too the 8th...I won’t go into it cause it was Nasty...but after I got Shot using that Marines body as a SandBag...I woke Up in NSA Danang...I was Fuked UP...had so much Dope pumped into Me~~~I was in LaLa land...I feel a hand on my Forehead and whisper my name...Jack Jack,I could barely open my eyes...KD came too bring me my personal effects from my Fanny pack...He told Me the final KIA amount and Who they where...It was like He threw a Lead Suit all over Me from Head too Toe...from then on I was never the Same...I’m Good but like You,I’m a Lone Wolf...Still Walking Point all these Years later...Walk Tall Brother,Ride that Indian over 7mile bridge down to Key West during SunUp

billcpoulton
11-29-21, 11:27 AM
A long time ago,late in the night. I posted a post that I felt like I was walking down this road alone. Up comes Doug, Captain Kirk. He said ,you are not walking alone. I always think of those words. Bill

Mongoose
11-29-21, 03:01 PM
I tried the Counseling shet also, after the County Sheriff recommended it. I was put in a nut-ward for 54 days. They said my mind was "Hostile". A young Female Psychologist who was ahead of her times, helped me alot. She had put 2 and 2 together before the Government ever recognized PTSD. Me and 5 other Veterans were under her wing. She talked with my wife, just like she talked with me. She said family members were victims also. Anyway, I used to have a reoccurring dream for many years. In the dream, it was almost dark and I was by myself. There was 11 gooks trying to get me. I start going up this hill to get away. The hill keeps getting steeper and steeper, until it's almost straight up. I look back and the gooks are right on my azz. I reach up and grab the ledge and start pulling myself up....that's when I would always wake up. I don't know why it was always 11 gooks or why it was always almost dark.....just saying...

Mongoose
11-29-21, 03:03 PM
A long time ago,late in the night. I posted a post that I felt like I was walking down this road alone. Up comes Doug, Captain Kirk. He said ,you are not walking alone. I always think of those words. Bill

Doug and I was in the Philly Naval Hospital at the same time.......

billcpoulton
11-29-21, 04:46 PM
I have to ask. Where is Doug now? I hope I don't know the answer. Bill

advanced
11-29-21, 06:05 PM
Doug (Captain Kirk) was with us at Hue, he went in on the south of the Perfume with the 2/5, we went in on the north with the 1/5. They went into Hue around the 1st or so of Feb 68, we went in right before Valentines day. During the Hue City operation, which has very few counterparts in history, 2,500 Marines attacked a much larger force of well trained, deeply entrenched and well supplied enemy and when it was over we had killed 5,000 of the NVA. We made some history there together, be proud of Capt Kirk. That's where my gunny told me that it looked like the MC had found something I was good at.

We used to message each other but I haven't heard from him in some years now. By the way, to guys like us that's sometimes normal, sometimes we just need to work things out.

FistFu68
11-30-21, 06:25 AM
The More I try forgetting about “The Chit” the Worse it got,Sometimes it’s Like My Noodle wants too EXPLODE when I’m around Ignorant Human Beings that put their Horsechit on My Plate~~~now these days,I take a Dose of the Best Medication I’ve got a Lifetime Script for~~~Steve Winwood “Can’t Find My Way Home” By the Time I was 19 with a Chest Full Of Bling,I had already become an Old Man...On a Life scale from 1-10,I was on 10...Now I’m gonna find myself again and hit and live those in between Numbers 2-9...I’ve Got a Good Woman,My New 10wk Old Pup and Steve Winwood Too Help Me Find My Way Home~~~~~~~~~

Mongoose
11-30-21, 06:55 AM
Let me tell you about Marine Grunts....While in the Philly Hospital, I was in a ward with Marines that had no legs, one leg and one arm. no arms, etc. I was laying in my rack right after bone graft surgery. I was still groggy and was smoking a cigg. Well, I fell asleep and the bed caught on fire. I was out of it and it didn't wake me up. Anyway, several Marines rolled out of their racks and pulled themselves over to my bed. They pulled me off and away from the bed. About then a couple of Corpsman came running in and put out the fire. Brothers till the end.....

FistFu68
11-30-21, 08:45 AM
You still Smoking Billy ? ;)

Mongoose
11-30-21, 03:05 PM
Yeah Fist, we're all gonna die from something...Anyway, I just talked to Captain Kirk. He has had a lot of Heart problems, but has recovered somewhat. He will be showing up in a few days. It was good to hear him talk. Great Man and Great Marine.

FistFu68
11-30-21, 04:57 PM
Meanwhile...BB-62 fired 153 16” 1,900 LB High Capacity and 2,7000 LB armor piercing rounds into Meade River AO :usmc:

FistFu68
12-08-21, 04:20 PM
As a 18yr Old Rifleman watching the Wild Weasels USAF dropping time delayed Iron Bombs from My Fighting hole,that was Pounding the NVA Command and Control Bunkers.I saw a bunch of Palm Trees musta been 50 of Em all neatly in Rows.But 1 in the middle didn’t have any foliage at all,I thought that was sorta Odd.Then word was passed down our line,too stay Put cause some real Big Chit had just left the Tube~~~then I hear this Chit sounded like a Freight Train shooting thru the Sky...Earth Shook then the Blast sound of BOOM came shortly after...I’m looking at the position We in Injured India are going too Destroy or Die trying too.I saw a Chunk Of Hot Steel like a oblong Razor blade the Sz Of a Car hood going Swoosh Swoosh Swoosh slicing those Palm Trees like they Chit in half,and Chunks Of Dirt UP into the Air like a Tornado had Hit...Too this Day that Display of Firepower and Destruction is burnt into My Mind BIG TIME 16” Naval Guns that I witnessed not on TV not from War Stories passed down But My YoungA$$ was there and Saw it with my own Two Eyes...BOOM Aye Aye Semper Fi :usmc:

FistFu68
12-09-21, 04:42 PM
I Fixed My Bayonet ! I Rode The Dragon~~~Go Easy Semper Fi :flag:

FistFu68
12-11-21, 06:45 AM
I’ve thought and visualized that Surreal Crazy Chit every Sober day of My Life since Dec 1968...I’ll never Speak of it again,in this Lifetime !! The Rollingstones “Sympathy for The Devil” says it better than I ever could...Godspeed to You All,Semper Fi...I’m Gone~~~~~~~~~~:usmc:

advanced
12-04-22, 09:17 AM
To my Meade River Brothers, another year has passed and it's time for Roll Call again, to see how many of us are still here. Much in my life has changed, seems I've gone more internal. I rarely run into other Nam MC grunts anymore, today I know no one like me (shared experiences) in the world I live in. I'm a leftover from another world it seems and no one understands that world. And, that's OK, I will always remember. Especially many of you all here, who like Fist says, rode the Dragon with me. I will always remember my 3/26 brothers Billy and Jack and their crews who fought their way into where I was and turned around what was becoming very dark.

I still ride my 2 Indians, and I attended the funeral of another Nam Vet, army, on Friday, and there were 3 other Nam vets with me, once again, me being the only Grunt and only Marine there. Where is my old Family?

Life is good, spending more time with my family. Luckily I never seem to get bored, still in great health, lean but not so mean any more. So many stories inside, only one of my grandsons wants to hear them, at times. I never volunteer, only when he asks.

I hope each of you my brothers are doing great as well. I see many years ahead of us, thank you for being there/here. S/F

FistFu68
12-05-22, 04:43 AM
I’m Still Good 2 Go,Injured India 3/26 Class of ‘68 Graduation was a B***H...Go Easy S F :thumbup: :usmc:

Mongoose
12-05-22, 02:22 PM
Still breathing, Brother Russ. Meade River is alive and well today. I can still smell it and taste it. Like Jack said.....I can damn sure hear it. Those 16" rounds came from the U.S.S. New Jersey. As they went over our heads I said Thank you God they're not landing short. Love you, Brothers......

FistFu68
12-06-22, 11:41 AM
Was just Flashing back on one image in my mind,of those slow very low flying AF Thuds;dropping their Chit right in front of Us.Always wondered why I never heard any BOOMs,they looked like Fat darts with long needle tips.Come to find out they where Delayed timers on that BIG Bunker complex where where in the Middle of.Seemed as though we never moved in a straight line more than a hundred yards,always Leap frogging during that Deadly crazy chit.

FistFu68
12-07-22, 02:20 PM
When I got medivacted outta that Bunker complex,I had two distinct emotions,one was Gladness the other was Sadness for my fellow Marines that where still there.When that ‘34 did a sharp Bank and I slid across that aluminum on my own blood and saw that pink mist from the Air hitting my blood flying out that Hatch Above My Co,I was very Thankful too God that I was still Alive. S F

gkmoz
12-07-22, 05:22 PM
:thumbup: Much props and love to you devil dogs!:thumbup:

advanced
12-08-22, 11:19 AM
Yup, Meade River was the one operation where I felt I was looking certain death in the eye. Fist says it best with his we were "Riding the Dragon," very poetic. Guess at Meade River I must have caught some of that short-timers virus, but it really was that bad.

By the end of Mead River i had completed 11 months of my SE Asian Vacation. Though I lost my R&R to Sydney to dazzle some of those round eyed beauties in Sydney I was given an In-Country R&R to DaNang. 3 days and nights in the DaNang Hilton getting caught up on my main career field - fvcking.

When i got back to the 5th they put my company on parameter guard close to DaNang, I always wondered why they took us out of the bush during Jan 69, I told Billy about it. Like he said, they figured we'd be getting another TET Offensive in Feb and the powers that be were simply resting and fattening us up for the fight/kill. It never happened though, so back into the bush we went back out in the Arizona again. Mid Feb 69 my tour was over so I went back to the World to live Happily Ever After, into the downtown streets of Memphis as a cop. Life is good for this ol Marine - no more dragons. S/F to my my dear brothers here.

billcpoulton
12-10-22, 02:38 PM
With my job as a heavy equipment mechanic. I would call myself, the best hitchhiker in all of the Arizona.C130s,Choppers H34,CH46 CH53, trucks, jeeps, Tanks ( ride on top ). Four or five times, I caught a ride on a 46 chopper from Da Nang air base . Heading to An Hoa base. Almost always, I was the only passenger. They would all of a sudden divert their direction and land in the bush. In comes a Corpsman and Marines , carrying a wounded Marine with no legs below the knees. After a while I learned that I wanted to see red. It meant that there was something left in the tank. I remember working with the Corpsman, trying to get an I.V. in. With tears in our eyes, we would try and try to find a vain to help him. The story was the same, more than once. We would land at Dustoff ( hospital ) in Da Nang. Then head back to An Hoa base. All I could do was HOPE. Jack, The pilot that flew his old 34 chopper into the hot L Z , to pick you up. Might have been the one that I wanted to unload a full clip into. About three months before ,I hopped a ride on a 34 chopper to a hillside base. I was alone in the back. I was sitting opposite the open door, suddenly the pilot banked the chopper to land.I had my hand near the rail of the seat ( luck was with me ).The chopper was SIDEWAYS, with the door straight down.I was holding on to the rail under me , with my body wanting to drop thru that open door. I screamed at that idiot. But I knew he could not hear me. When we landed,he looks at me. Oh I forgot about you. My idiot and your crazy 34 pilot may have been the same guy. I guess it was good that I was a nice guy that day. Russ, I'm glad that you made it thru the rains with little problems. For all who know Meade River. You are a step above in my book. Bill

FistFu68
12-17-22, 06:53 AM
Read this years ago....”I have seen the face of Terror,felt the stinging Cold of Fear.and enjoyed the Sweet taste of a moments Love. I have Cried,Pained,and Hoped.But most of All.I have lived Times others would say,were Best Forgotten”.Go Easy,Merry Christmas everyone.Aye Aye Semper Fi

billcpoulton
12-24-22, 02:16 PM
Lake Havasu,Az. , 72 Today. Merry Christmas to all. Bill

PaulWill
12-24-22, 08:06 PM
Merry Christmas, Bill, and have a safe and prosperous New Year.

billcpoulton
12-27-22, 02:00 PM
Paul, Were you a Trucker? In the spring of 68. I hopped a ride to Pho Luc combat base. About 14 miles south of Pu Bai. A mile or two in from hwy. one. When we got to the base, there was a group of trucks parked in a line. A mortar attack started ,all jumped into the trench, next to the trucks.The mortars were being walked towards the trucks. A larger or heavier sound of a mortar was fired once. It hit the command bunker,with all the antennas sticking out.Dead center. The mortars walking towards the trucks, turned. Then all stopped. Paul. Were you in the same trench,next to the trucks? Bill

billcpoulton
11-21-23, 02:56 PM
A long time ago, some Marines put everything on the line. MEADE RIVER happened now 1968. I was just on the edge of that line. There were three grunts, Russ, Billy, and Jack. Right in the middle of the sh t. Along with many more that to me their names are unknown. I remember, I will always remember. Bill

advanced
11-22-23, 08:18 AM
Bill, I'm still here. I came down with a heart problem this year, finally got it fixed (A-fib) with an ablation. I can think again and no longer living in la la land.

It's that time again Meade River Marines, that's right it's time for Roll Call to see who's standing. It's something that was experience 55 years ago now can still have such an impact in your mind/life. Where are you Brothers?

Mongoose
11-22-23, 02:34 PM
Russ, I'm still eating that dirt. We were young and loved our Country and what it stood for. When I look at and hear the young men of today.....it makes me want to vomit...We need Gods help now more than ever before.

advanced
11-23-23, 07:17 AM
Yes brother, our youth in this country have definitely changed. I've been hearing on the news lately that most of the services are way behind in their recruiting goals - but our Corps is doing OK. Seems like the defense head beliefs they need to double down in the woke agenda, dumb shivts.

This time every year my mind always goes back to those days from long ago, who would have thought that we'd still be here, I sure had my doubts. S/F brothers,

FistFu68
11-26-23, 06:32 PM
Got too Blow a Stump earlier...BOOM I love Explosions especially when I’m the One controlling the BOOM during My Meade River Madness reflections

billcpoulton
12-30-23, 03:41 PM
Back in 1968, I would be sitting in the back of a chopper, alone. Going to some hillside base to fix a broken forklift. I would get this feeling inside. What's coming next? With 2024 , I have that same feeling inside.Bill

Mongoose
12-31-23, 09:08 AM
Bill, in 68 we never knew where we might be headed. We never knew what was waiting on us. We also never knew what each day would bring......your right, 2024 feels the same way....

billcpoulton
01-20-24, 11:23 AM
My antenna is up . Russ, Advanced. I hope all is well with you. We all have a little voice that talks to us. Some of us have learned to listen. Bill

advanced
01-20-24, 01:23 PM
I'm still here y'all. I've been smelling a difference in the air for awhile, my antenna have been up. I'm afraid for our country, those dem's are all stirred up. Been watching that haley bittch, you know she's the one that took the stars and bars down in South Carolina some time back. She's nothing but a rhino, dem's are pouring money into her.

I bought a new sniper scope for Christmas, have it mounted on my AK. All I have to do now is dial in the elevation and wet my thumb for the windage. I believe that the dem's are the new gooks, things might get rough again, maybe this is why we've all been spared all these years. Just saying.

Mongoose
01-21-24, 07:50 AM
Amen, Brother Russ. Our old creed......Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out, may one day save America. Today's don't offend the enemy is suicidal. We know that you have to be more vicious, more conniving, more low down, and more blood thirsty than your enemy, to ever come out on top. To do any less would be a disgrace to all those who have given their life for America and the Freedom it represents.

m14ed
01-26-24, 02:09 PM
. I'm afraid for our country,
those dem's are all stirred up.

Been watching that haley bittch,
you know she's the one that took the stars and bars down
in South Carolina some time back.

She's nothing but a rhino,
dem's are pouring money into her.

I believe that the dem's are the new gooks,
things might get rough again,

maybe this is why we've all been spared all these years.

Just saying.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhahistoricalsociety.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F08%2FHMM20163205020YEAR S.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=b06347137cef5226c8d933317896c7d9e95f062ce1978c f94946bd4a54513462&ipo=images

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhahistoricalsociety.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F08%2FHMM20163205020YEAR S.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=b06347137cef5226c8d933317896c7d9e95f062ce1978c f94946bd4a54513462&ipo=images

Most of us have been feeling "hinky"these past
3 years . with evidence all the time surfacing
over and about transgressions relitive to elections
and the BIDENS.

Friday mornings the "Amvets" hold breakfast.
+ Lo & behold most there are feeling the same
as you ...

m14ed
01-26-24, 02:17 PM
I'm afraid for our country,
dem's are all stirred up.

Been watching that haley bittch,
you know she's the one that took the stars and bars down
in South Carolina some time back.

She's nothing but a rhino,
dem's are pouring money into her.

I believe that the dem's are the new gooks,
things might get rough again,

maybe this is why we've all been spared all these years.

Just saying.

The "American Legion" puts down a spread for
breakfast - and about 30 or 40 souls Chow down
whilst chewing the fat....

Yes Russ.....
Most there are less than stupid, and have
noticed more and more that they're liking
less and less what the Current president
is pulling, but you notice it doesnt bother
the MainStream Lamestream media any...

Maybe natural death is
for pussies............

m14ed
01-26-24, 02:22 PM
I'm probibly the biggest MOANER there.
Everything else is normal- everybody busting
each others ballz in a brotherly abandon....

Mongoose
01-27-24, 07:45 AM
Ed, At our age, we now only use our balls to fight and tell the truthhttps://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34562&stc=1