PDA

View Full Version : BRC Question

JohnR
06-08-17, 10:04 PM
Hello Marines,
I was reading an article some guy wrote, and i honestly dont even remember if this guy even was a Marine himself, but he said that on "day 24" of BRC, which is also supposedly referred to as "the longest day" , there is a 2000m swim followed by 2000m run repeated 5 times that has to be done in under 90 minutes. I just imagined it would seriously suck and seem like a loss to both the Marine Corps and the individual Marine himeslf who gets dropped from taking 91 minutes instead of 90. I want to know if this was legit or not.
At least to me it seems kind of counter intuitive to care solely about how quickly someone does something rather than how well they do it, or how they still power through the struggle, even in the midst of a challenge. From everyone id previously talked to, it seemed more like you would simply be given a task, and so long as you simply completed it, you made it. OBVIOUSLY i dont know as well as anyone in the USMC, and im not judging anybody's thought process. Im simply asking how/why it is the case.
sorry this question is worded so oddly, its kind of hard for me to explain haha.
Thanks Marines.

Tennessee Top
06-08-17, 10:32 PM
Because, the Marine Corps sets standards, and those standards must be met. Other examples are the Physical Fitness Test (PFT), Combat Fitness Test (CFT), and rifle range. All have timed events and one must execute a minimum set of tasks within the time allotted. Go over the time limit and you fail.

Can't speak to the BRC events; don't know if those are legit or not. I do know anything dealing with Recon training "seriously sucks", and the attrition rate is extremely high. Any Marine attempting BRC knows that going in.

Marines must prove themselves every day. The promotion system is geared to only promote the best qualified. Simply completing your assigned tasks makes you average. But, somebody is going to go above-and-beyond and complete it better making them above average. Those are the individuals the promotion system says should get promoted (not average).

Hammer
06-09-17, 06:48 AM
Just like the Marine Corps; Recon isn't for everyone. Minutes are crucial; just like requirements. Seems to me that the OP wants everyone to receive a participation award, or allowed to join; though not qualified.

JohnR
06-09-17, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys, that makes sense.
I completely understand PFT, and i get that context, but I would think that someone going over by a few seconds or a minute wouldnt have a huge impact, and the hustle and effort and the fact that the trainee still completed the task would be enough. I may have been mistaken too, but 5 x (2000m swim + 2000m run) in under 90 minutes seems almost impossible haha. Thanks again.

Tennessee Top
06-09-17, 02:13 PM
You're still missing the point. One can hustle and give all the effort they want. But, if they go over the set time limit (even by a second), they failed to complete the task and did not meet the standard. Results are more important than the effort.

Hammer
06-09-17, 03:25 PM
Ten Top; I completely agree with you. Some folks want it their way; and why they are failures in life. They can't be depended on.

FoxtrotOscar
06-09-17, 03:26 PM
The BRC 2000 meter run swim X 5 is pure BS..... Someones jerking your chain for the laughs...

The Indoc and training for BRC is on the net and available for anyone to read... Swims and times, distances for the ruck march and more..

crazymjb
06-09-17, 06:37 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say its impossible that THAT is the standard, just from looking at swim times from the Olympics. That said, the standards are very high, and most fail to meet them. When an organization strives to be the best, only the best get let in. Make the grade, or do something else.

Mike

Tennessee Top
06-10-17, 12:12 PM
Don't know if this video link will work or not but it describes the longest day and that run/swim X 5 under 90 minutes event:

http://www.facebook.com//LeatherneckLifestyle/videos/493...

Tennessee Top
06-10-17, 12:20 PM
Or, you can watch the "surviving the cut" series on youtube (it includes the above video).

Just search for "Surviving the Cut: Marine Recon"