PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Medical Waiver

Ryan13157
02-22-17, 01:21 PM
Hello Marines,

So about a month ago and a half ago, I had spoken to a Marines recruiter. I went into their office, filled out the basic forms for enlisting and I told them of a medical I had 7 years ago. (Fluid drained from spine, nothing serious)Obviously, I was PDQ and a waiver had to be submitted. A few days ago, I got a text from my recruiter saying that my medical was approved by MEPS and is now currently awaiting approval by the commanding officer. My recruiter informed me that this step is simply that the CO reviews all my documents/handwritten statement/level of activity sheet, recommendations by the MEPS doctors, and signs off whether to approve me or not. Based on this info, my chances of getting approved and able to join is on the higher side, right? My recruiter and I figured since MEPS gave me the OK for my medical I had years back, that there's really no reason for the CO to not approve me.

Also, for anyone that has been at this stage before, how long did you have to wait to hear back whether your waiver was approved or not? I was told on average it was 3-6 months.

Thank you for your responses.

Tennessee Top
02-24-17, 06:03 PM
Recruiters know (based on experience), how their Commanding Officer normally comes down on medical waivers. So, if your recruiter feels good about your chances then you probably should too. That is no guarantee however, anything can still happen.

Same with the average wait time. If your recruiter is telling you 3-6 months, that's based on their experience. Could be sooner, or later.

All you can do at this point is, keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best. The CO's decision will be based on the needs of the Marine Corps. If they need you bad enough, your waiver will be granted. If not, then it'll be disapproved.

Good luck, and let us know what they say.

Ryan13157
02-24-17, 08:09 PM
Recruiters know (based on experience), how their Commanding Officer normally comes down on medical waivers. So, if your recruiter feels good about your chances then you probably should too. That is no guarantee however, anything can still happen.

Same with the average wait time. If your recruiter is telling you 3-6 months, that's based on their experience. Could be sooner, or later.

All you can do at this point is, keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best. The CO's decision will be based on the needs of the Marine Corps. If they need you bad enough, your waiver will be granted. If not, then it'll be disapproved.

Good luck, and let us know what they say.

Much obliged! I'll be sure to stop by once I hear back to give an update.

Ryan13157
04-25-17, 09:22 PM
Update: Been 3 months since my recruiter informed me my waiver is on the CO's desk. Followed up with him last week and be informed me he still hasn't heard back yet. Not losing hope! He told me it takes about 3-6 months to hear back anyways.