PDA

View Full Version : Joining the Marines?

Nikolai XCIII
11-10-16, 07:11 PM
First of all Happy Birthday Marines!!

now lets get to the bread and butter of this post, first the background

Ill be 24 years old in January, I joined the National Guard at 17 when i was a junior in high school. Well I've been in for 6 years now, just signed another 6 year contract (succumbed to the 12k bonus for re-enlistment) and am an E-5. I haven't started college yet as i was deployed to Afghanistan in 2014. Ill be starting school next year and will work to get my bachelors in hopefully 3 years.

Now the question?

Do you think i could get in the Marines as an officer when this current contract is over. I know i could transfer now as enlisted but i'd lose rank, and might have to repay my bonus. I will be 29 at the end of my contract, at the last part of the age requirement to get in. I want to retire from the military after 25 years in, when I'm 42. Physical requirements will be no problem. I have no issue doing boot camp. I have this mindset to be the best version of me i can be, and i want to have the chance to earn the title that you men have, and to join the brotherhood of Marines. I'm not sure on the process of switching branches, going from guard into Marine reserves or if they'd take me at the age I'd be at. That's my biggest worry. Any thoughts and opinions would be great. Thanks.

Tennessee Top
11-11-16, 05:53 PM
Nobody here can answer your questions (we are not recruiters). You need to go sit down with a Marine recruiter and see what they say.

Good luck and thank you for your service.