PDA

View Full Version : Need some info before i can enlist

Jmattsen
03-29-16, 10:56 PM
Last july i got charged with a DUI, i ended up getting it reduiced to neglagent driving since it was my first offence and i got what is called an "order of continuance" which is basicaly the same...

USMC 2571
03-30-16, 05:59 AM
First of all, the recruiter is under the impression that HIS letter will reduce the sentence, and that HE would be using his position as a Marine to get that sentence reduced, when in fact the JUDGE is already reducing the sentence, or will reduce it, and all he needs is verification that you are GOING TO enlist in fact, and not just saying that to get out of the case early.

You should make this clear, in a nice and very respectful way, to the recruiter, that the judge does not want his input to reduce the sentence EXCEPT insofar as saying that you are indeed enlisting. So far far far from using his status as a recruiter and getting into fraud, the recruiter is merely saying, yeah, this kid is going into the Corps when all is said and done, and what the court and the young man do is their business, not mine....that should be the recruiter's mindset, but right now it isn't.

You've already come this far. Keep going. And send me a PM about this please. I may be able to help more.

USMC 2571
03-30-16, 06:32 AM
Second, nothing in this entire scenario has anything to do with a "form of fraud". The recruiter is being asked to verify your enlistment, that's all. That is neither illegal nor immoral. When a potential employer wants to see a college transcript, and the college provides it, what is the problem? The employer is verifying that you graduated college. What fraud exists? None.----anyway, PM me and maybe we can resolve this.

Rocky C
03-30-16, 07:50 AM
Hold on, hold on. The Drunk driver asked the Marine Recruiter to write a letter to the judge. The Recruiter did not initiate anything. The recruiter said no, end of story.

You got your sentence reduced and leave it at that. Perhaps there is more in your background since you met with the recruiter several times you said and maybe the chances are slim that you can enlist anyway.

A Marine Corps recruiter knows his job far better than any of us do. This is not his first rodeo.

Best of luck.

Keep us posted please and don't drink and drive !

USMC 2571
03-30-16, 08:29 AM
The judge wants a letter from the recruiter showing that the OP is enlisting. Fraud? Using his Marine position? Immoral? Improper? Against regs? None of the above.

Rocky C
03-30-16, 08:52 AM
The OP is not enlisting. His " Intent " is to enlist. This is not the first time we see this.

I have spoken to recruiters in the past that have told me that if they had a dime for everyone that walked in the door asking for a letter to give to a judge or a LEO that they were enlisting they would be rich.

They never come back. The only document that recruiters hand out is the official document that someone has indeed enlisted. The enlistee can do whatever they want with it.

The OP told a Judge that he was enlisting in the Marine Corps. The Judge said get me a letter. The Recruiter said no.

I suggest you call the local Recruiting Office to get clarification on this.

" Intent " to enlist is a lot different than " have " enlisted. To write a letter saying someone has enlisted when they in fact have not is FRAUD.

I'm not an attorney like you Dave but this has come up many times.

I'm sure the Judge has come across this before hence his request to the OP to " get a letter ".

USMC 2571
03-30-16, 09:04 AM
Of course. I stand corrected.

Jmattsen
03-30-16, 06:24 PM
Pm sent. If i could get the judge to write up an agreement saying my dui goes on my record if i am not enlisted in within 6 months that would be ideal. Its not even realy "reducing a sentence," i just have to not get arrested for the next year and nothing happens which i intended to do anyways. its literally just making me wait to enlist now, theres no other repercussions.

There is another recruiting office the next town over that i might try if i cant straighten this out soon.

Tennessee Top
03-30-16, 07:05 PM
If you have issues with "dumb rules", you're REALLY going to hate being a Marine!

Dumb rules are our middle name!!

Jmattsen
03-31-16, 11:35 AM
Oh I know, it's just that I finally figured out what I want to do with my life and after a month of talking to a recruiter I find out I have to spend another year at my dead end job waiting around. I'm also 22 and now I will be 23 before I can even enlist and 24 before I get through bootcamp and my MOS school, I am already so far behind everyone that joined right out of high school and this just sets me even farther back.

is there any place that I can look up Marine laws like these ones so that I can see for myself what it exactly says?

Jmattsen
03-31-16, 11:47 AM
My recruiter even said that I could plead guilty and enlist right away but that sounds like a bad idea,

Tennessee Top
03-31-16, 02:42 PM
It's not Marine laws. All the services have the same legal system with the same laws. It's called the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). That's what you would research. You may need a law degree to find and understand exactly what you're looking for however.

Mongoose
03-31-16, 08:10 PM
Jmattsen, Dave 2571 is an Attorney. He was also a Sgt. in the Corps and a Captain in the Air Force. In the Air Force he was a JAG officer. He knows his shet very well. If he said he could help you, you need to contact him by PM. Also my friend, don't give up because of one recruiter. They are all different in their ways and means. Good Luck

Mongoose
04-01-16, 05:05 AM
I talked to my oldest son's father-in-law last night. He retired from the Corps. He was a recruiter when I met him in 85. He called a couple of recruiters he knows in the County where he lives. He said both told him that a letter from a recruiter stating the person in question was indeed talking to them and expressed the intent to enlist in the Corps was not fraud on the recruiters end if he didn't enlist. If the Judge worked with the person in question, after receiving the letter, and the person didn't enlist, the fault would lie with the person in question, not the recruiter and the judge could then make it very hard on that person.

MunkyVsRobot
04-02-16, 08:06 PM
You're an idiot i really hope you don't get to enlist. You can barely take care of yourself what the hell are you going to do when other peoples lives are on the line? Get them killed is what you're going to do. Idiots never get themselves killed they get everyone else killed.

Jmattsen
04-11-16, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I forund another recruiter a little bit farther away and I am going to go talk with him next Monday. I have every intention of enlisting the moment I am aloud to and hopefully I will get to spend my 23rd birthday at bootcamp.