PDA

View Full Version : Security Forces

CJames97
01-18-16, 09:34 AM
Good morning Marines. My name is Cameron James, and I am a Poolee, enlisted May 18th, 2015. My ship date is June 13th, 2016, and I am enlisted under an 0600 Communications Contract.

I have eave browsed and searched this site and Google very intently, and yet I can't find any information on this MOS. I've seen bits and pieces, however everything is very vague or doesn't fully give the full picture. If this is due to OPSEC, please someone feel free to tell me to stop trying to look if I'm not gonna find anything. I do have some very generic and basic questions about the MOS:

What does it his MOS truly do? I've seen that they're guards, infantry, something about FAST? But what are the possibilities should a Marine get this job?

How does a Marine get this job? What is the MOS number, and what are the requirements ASVAB wise?

Where is the school, what is its length, and what are some possibilities of deployments this MOS could see?

As always, any help will be appreciated Marines, this forum has always been a great resource for me.

Rocky C
01-18-16, 09:42 AM
You won't find hardly anyone that will talk about it.

I'm a Comm Marine TSSC, Crypto.

OPSEC.

Sorry......

"It is what it is " with me anyway....

Best of luck to you.

LCPL1341
01-18-16, 12:46 PM
Are you asking about the Security Forces MOS (8152)? If so, check these threads out:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?75959-Marine-Corps-Security-Force

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?101085-How-long-is-8152-MOS-training

CJames97
01-18-16, 01:59 PM
This looks like the MOS I was talking about. I guess it is worded weird because as the one article states, it's really a "special assignment."
Thank you for the link to the two articles, they answered what I needed to know

Rocky C
01-18-16, 02:39 PM
"Good morning Marines. My name is Cameron James, and I am a Poolee, enlisted May 18th, 2015. My ship date is June 13th, 2016, and I am enlisted under an 0600 Communications Contract.

I have eave browsed and searched this site and Google very intently, and yet I can't find any information on this MOS. "

This is confusing then. Were you not asking about 0600 field, Communications ?

Tennessee Top
01-18-16, 02:48 PM
Since one can get this program on their contract, any recruiter can tell you everything you need to know. However, you already have a comm program so it's a moot point. Besides that, you will not be a grunt so you are not eligible for Security Forces.

Unless. You want to talk to your recruiter about changing your program from comm to SF.

CJames97
01-19-16, 07:37 AM
Rocky C: that's just the introduction I put on all my posts, so others with the same question can easier use my post as a reference.

Tennessee Top: My current SOU is Comms, and I like my job so I probably won't change. But I figure with nearly 5 months still in the DEP, it won't hurt to look around and see anything else I may be interested in. I had never heard of Security Forces until last week honestly.

Tennessee Top
01-19-16, 01:51 PM
No problem in looking around and asking questions. This can be one of the problems with locking a program in so early - something better may come along later. On the other hand, by waiting till later, something better may never come along and one may be stuck with a MOS they're not satisfied with. We have seen it work both ways here.

Rocky C
01-19-16, 02:18 PM
I really wish they would do away with the whole " Pick your MOS " crap.

The whole premise for enlisting in the Marine Corps is to be a part of the Finest Fighting Force In The World. Something that is greater than you. Become part of " The Few, The Proud ".

Take the MOS that is given to you.

I went in on an " Open Contract " because I knew the Marine Corps would place me where I was needed and they did. No big deal.

Every Marine is a Rifleman....

Also I think we should institute a mandatory 2 year draft.

Sorry to go off topic but this guaranteed MOS thing has to stop.

After your initial enlistment then you should be able to Lat move into what you really would like to do now that you had a taste of Marine Corps life or get out and get an education.

Just sayin.....

Tennessee Top
01-20-16, 02:45 PM
Guaranteed contracts are the least of the USMC's problems these days. Politicians and appointed civilians are trying their best to destroy our basic institutional identity and purpose for existence. The CMC never knows what attack from Capitol Hill is coming next.

CJames97
01-21-16, 08:07 AM
I agree with you both, Rocky C and Top. I hear all the time "I only want to enlist if I get _____ job."
Sure, I have a preference on what I'd like to do. But being a Marine is enough reason for me to join as it is. And Top, I completely agree, the military in general has so many damned rules and regulations, it's breaking down our effectiveness, as a lot of my Marine friends say.

Tennessee Top
01-21-16, 10:08 PM
I was not referring to rules and regulations - those come along with military service in any branch. I was referring to the never-ending leftwing liberal agenda and social experimentation constantly being rammed down our throats...supposedly for our own good.

MunkyVsRobot
01-22-16, 07:11 PM
so you have an 0600 communication contract, are you looking to change to security forces or do you just like asking useless questions?

Your questions should be getting tailored to what you are going to be doing not to what you arent going to be doing which at this current moment isnt security forces.

USMC 2571
01-22-16, 07:21 PM
Posts 9 10 11. Excellent

CJames97
01-26-16, 07:38 AM
Top: That's what I was speaking of as well, the PC agenda that is being forced on our military reducing readiness and effectiveness. I honestly think it's because of the stupid bureaucracy that has taken hold of the government: everything always has to be cleared by someone in DC who has no idea what the military actually needs.

MunkyVsRobot: I agree, I need to stop focusing on other topics not related to me. I like the job Communications (from how it sounds of course) and I need to focus on what relates to me.

MunkyVsRobot
01-26-16, 03:05 PM
it isnt necessarily not asking questions that dont pertain to you, it is more about you should ask questions that do pertain to what you are going to be doing and trying to feel out each and every MOS. You took a comm job so you must want to do comm or something close to it or why else would you even have taken the job.

I get wanting to check out what other 0600 jobs are and all that good stuff, and you prolly have time to change your MOS by the time you go to MCRD. But where you already have a job in hand and nothing really to worry about obtaining a job you want its time to focus on what you will be doing.

Tennessee Top
01-26-16, 05:03 PM
Focus is always a good thing. Setting short-term and long-term goals is also important if you want to reach your destination. One critical trait for a Marine is flexibility cause if there is one thing you can count on, it's that your plans are not going to jibe with what the USMC has planned for you. That means, those goals are always changing.

Rocky C
01-27-16, 08:38 AM
True words Brothers !

CJames97
01-28-16, 07:48 AM
Thank you Marines, your advise and help is always appreciated