PDA

View Full Version : Security Forces questions

AlecD07
01-17-16, 08:19 PM
Just got back from MEPS on Friday and figured out what I was qualified for a what I wasn't. Originally I was a diehard, 100% invested into going into infantry but then whenever I got back to my recruiters office we started going over the different jobs I could do and he mentioned Security Forces and it interested me. I've got a few questions about Security Forces.

1.) I've read that I will know rather or not I will be guarding/protecting the president/presidential duty BEFORE I even go to the BSG course. Is it just luck of the draw or is there somewhere that I sign for it or not?

2.) I read about the FAST guys and what they do, but again, is there somewhere that I sign up for it or is it really just luck of the draw/needs of the Marine Corps?

Any information is good information. Thank you in advance!

AlecD07
01-17-16, 10:37 PM
EDIT* Infantry is still my first choice, ALWAYS will be. I want to serve my country, hands on, boots in the sand, and in the $h¡t. I'm just curious on what Security Forces have to offer. Sorry for the second post on the thread!

josephd
01-18-16, 12:52 AM
presidential security is something that you will get screened for, you don't have a say in it.

most SF guys go to FAST teams somewhere

and just a but of FYI, SF is infantry basically...after SOI you'll go to SF school and then out to a duty station for 3 years. After that you will rotate back to a regular line unit where you will serve as a normal 0311 rifleman for 2 years

AlecD07
01-18-16, 08:50 AM
Okay thank you. I knew that SF went to SOI with the grunts but is there anyway I can be a grunt first and then go to the SF school and the 3 years? I just don't want to get into the fleet after being to a duty station for 3 years and not know what the hell is going on as an NCO.

josephd
01-19-16, 11:54 PM
no, that's exactly how it works.....you'll go to the fleet/a line company as a Corporal but will probably have a salty senior Lance Corporal in charge of you after your stint with SF