PDA

View Full Version : Asvab Retake

Pooleeflorea
12-09-15, 10:10 PM
How many times can you take an Asvab? I took one already and passed, but my GT score wasn't good enough for the job I wanted. Can I take it again? My recruiter is telling me no, but I've read you can if you have a 20 point gain.

Zulu 36
12-10-15, 02:08 AM
Your recruiter is correct. You can't take the ASVAB again as a potential recruit. You can re-take the ASVAB once you're in the fleet (one time), but not everybody gains, some lose points.

Read the Similar Threads listed below your original post.

Tennessee Top
12-10-15, 04:19 PM
Would need to see a case where someone improved their score by 20 points before I believe it. I personally don't think that's possible - but could be wrong.

TolzerVman
12-10-15, 05:09 PM
3-13. Confirmation Testing
a. Confirmation testing applies to applicants who were administered retests on any form of the ASVAB within 6 months of their previous test. There is no distinction between enlistment and student ASVAB when deciding if a confirmation retest is required. Confirmation testing will be conducted in the MEPS (see Chapter 6 for further guidance pertaining to the Honolulu MET sites). The confirmation test score will not be used as the score of record for enlistment. The confirmation test will be administered as a complete test.
b. If an applicant’s most recent test score is 20 AFQT points or more than their previous test score (critical gain), and the two tests are within 6 months of each other, the applicant is required to complete a confirmation test to confirm the critical gain is indicative to their true ability. The MEPS testing section personnel will ensure the test record created in the USMIRS reflects the requirement for a confirmation test ("H" status). The confirmation test results can fall back no more than one half the critical gain to sustain the trigger test.
3-14. Confirmation Test Administration
a. Service liaison personnel will be responsible for advising the applicant’s recruiter that a confirmation test is required at the MEPS and no further processing is authorized until:
(1) The confirmation test is passed, or
(2) The 6 months have elapsed from the date of the applicant’s confirmation test, at which time the applicant may voluntarily retest in the MEPS, on iCAT, or use his or her current score of record (the first of the two tests that caused the confirmation test).
b. Service liaison personnel will be responsible for requesting and scheduling the applicant to take the confirmation test. The applicant’s complete and accurate testing history must be provided using UMF 680-3A-E, the "confirmation" block must be checked, and the versions and forms of the applicant’s two most recent ASVAB tests must be reflected. The TA will conduct a records check and compare UMF 680-3A-E with documents in the applicant’s packet to ensure the information submitted is correct.
c. Confirmation testing with the same version of the ASVAB that was used on any previous test is strictly prohibited.
3-15. Scoring the Confirmation Test
November 4, 2013 USMEPCOM Regulation 611-1 TOC
When the applicant completes a confirmation test, his or her AFQT from the confirmation test must be compared to the previous test, and:
a. If the applicant’s confirmation test AFQT is higher than the AFQT from the previous test, or the AFQT from the confirmation test does not decrease by more than half the value of the critical gain, then the applicant has met required criteria for a successful confirmation test. The applicant may resume processing if otherwise qualified and the results from the retest (trigger test) that prompted the confirmation test become the score of record, not the confirmation test scores.
b. If the applicant’s confirmation test AFQT exhibits a gain reversal (i.e., confirmation test AFQT is lower than his or her previous retest AFQT and the decrease is greater than half of the value of his or her critical gain), the applicant has failed the confirmation process. This process alone will determine an applicant’s ability. The applicant may process on last valid score or wait six months to retest.

Rocky C
12-10-15, 06:00 PM
20 points is a lot !