PDA

View Full Version : Chat Room

Kegler300
11-18-15, 01:51 PM
Does the Chat Room work anymore? Anybody go there?

LitLover84
11-18-15, 03:58 PM
I just tried it after reading this, and it wouldn't actually load. Tried to refresh/reload a few times, but it just sat there working and working before eventually timing out.

The old chatroom format we had on here before the site had its makeover a few years back was a good set up. Seemed like once the makeover happened, if I remember correctly, the chat wasn't as popular or frequently used.

Tennessee Top
11-18-15, 06:12 PM
Never been there.

Rocky C
11-18-15, 06:28 PM
What's going on with the Chat Room ? Problems ? If there is and we need a fix let me know.

I didn't know members still used it but if you do/want and it needs fixing post here and I will get it done.

I need a big want or need to justify the fix if it's a big one so post about it.

Thanks for the heads up Kegs. I'll be monitoring this thread Brother.

FoxtrotOscar
11-18-15, 08:44 PM
Many, Many people used to come into the chat room, not this thing they have now but a room that was basically "Flash Chat" if I remember correctly.. First they said it was to costly to operate, and they went with the cheapest think they could find, and that's what we have. It works about 12% of the time, yet it has no warmth or personality.

Poolees to Parents would come into the room for info before choosing which boards to use and such... It was extremely active, I know because myself and Dave B were there all the time as were other's...

Some folks would rather visit the chat room for live action than to sit down and write dissertations.. (pov),...

I even offered to pay for the old chat room soft ware after the rudder fell off the boat, but was met with indifference...

If it's a money or quality issue, I'm sure I could find a way to pay for it..

LitLover84
11-18-15, 08:53 PM
I first found and signed up on this site for help locating groups/services that helped civilians send care packages, mail, etc. to deployed service members. The thread I started proved helpful, but the input and response I got from the moment I first popped into the chatroom was amazing. The chat, in the former version Mike describes above, was packed most nights. That's where a lot of the community/connection seemed to take place and thrive.

m14ed
11-19-15, 02:09 AM
I cant recall which of the physical chat programs that used to be used back before leatherneck went commercial.
.IT worked. NO TIME out kickfeature half-hour
no use /bamthere's the hatch.
As mike/FO said , Most of us who used the chat ,
did agree to pay the freight to PUT IT BACK to
jabberchat, or IRC , or MIRC...what ever worked,
now WHO REALLY CARES- to quote Hillery.
It was sorta-kinda like the "lights" inside the refridgerator,, open the door and you always found it on.......
I stopped trying to use the chat room well over
6 months ago...nobody ever there....

madsox
11-19-15, 06:25 AM
If the chat room could come back, I'd be in there whenever I have time and I'm online - I like the boards, too, but that live back-and-forth in the chat is great!

I only discovered it here as it was dying, and that makes me a sad boot. 8-(

Kegler300
11-19-15, 06:22 PM
I'd like to see the Chat Room reactivated ... had a lot of great live discussions there ...

Phantom Blooper
11-19-15, 06:39 PM
Chat rooms been dead for along time since Dave Blaylock hosted Poolee University on Sunday nights...so Dave's been gone for years and the chat room went to shiat shortly after!

Kegler300
11-19-15, 07:26 PM
Time to bring it back IMO ...

FoxtrotOscar
11-19-15, 08:07 PM
Chat rooms been dead for along time since Dave Blaylock hosted Poolee University on Sunday nights...so Dave's been gone for years and the chat room went to shiat shortly after!

Negative Bloop, the "ChatRoom" died when this site changed it to the cheap model....

I'll stand by that and any stat's someone brings out... I'll find a way to pay for the chat software and the hosting if this site takes it on... I've seen mostly positive comments about the Chat Room, not the current crap they call chat...

The chat room is like a forum, if you don't want to know what's inside, don't open the door...

FO...

Rocky C
11-20-15, 06:22 AM
I'm all over it Brothers and will post here the SITREP.

irpat54
11-20-15, 06:27 AM
I chatted with Ed just a few years back in their, but it will only take certain browsers to work with, everything else just spins,,,lol,, I don't remember what browser I had to download, I know Foxfire won't work nor will this new one I am using now..

LitLover84
11-20-15, 07:12 AM
Yeah, I've tried it with both Firefox and Chrome. No go on both counts.

m14ed
11-20-15, 03:48 PM
browsers are weird...i run some type of LINUX everyday, most times problems with the chatroom
is how your browser is "set-up"

moving away from "FLASH" based chat for this site would seem like a good piece of advise.

Hammer
11-20-15, 04:13 PM
I tried it a couple of times, because Ed(M14) asked us several times to support it. It was slow as molasses, and no one was in there. I gave up on it.

Ed was and probably is still a big proponent of the Chat Room; however as others have pointed out; it would have to b a new system. What kind I don't know. I'm not knowledgeable. I would however give it another shot.