PDA

View Full Version : Corps: Past/Present/Future

USMC 2571
11-10-15, 10:03 PM
Past---One difference from "the old days" is that nowadays one cannot plan on staying in for 20 years. In the past, you could plan on it if you stayed out of trouble, did your job, etc. But now, things are much more complicated.

USMC 2571
11-10-15, 10:05 PM
Past---at Camp Lejeune we had open squad bays like at Parris Island only on a larger scale. Does anyone know if Lejeune still has them, or are the barracks now comprised of rooms, where two or three share one room? I know that in supply, at Lejeune, just a year or two ago, they had rooms, no open squad bays. What about grunts on that base? Kegler300, if you read this, please advise. Munkyvsrobot is another who would know. Thanks in advance.

USMC 2571
11-10-15, 10:06 PM
Future--Mongoose and I were just talking earlier tonight about how in the future, there might be a Camp Lejeune Beauty Contest for Transgenders, or some such indication of how things might be in 2040, the way things are going in 2015.

USMC 2571
11-10-15, 10:08 PM
Present----I subscribed to Leatherneck Magazine until a couple of months ago. I found that the gear, the uniforms, the technology, is all so different from long ago that I had no idea what the articles were even about.

Anyone have any observations about past, present, future Corps, feel free to keep this thread going.

Old Marine
11-11-15, 08:54 AM
Present----I subscribed to Leatherneck Magazine until a couple of months ago. I found that the gear, the uniforms, the technology, is all so different from long ago that I had no idea what the articles were even about.

Anyone have any observations about past, present, future Corps, feel free to keep this thread going.

Cannot comment on the present Marine Corps as I really know nothing about it. The Marines of today should not comment on the Marines of yesterday as they know little or zero about what we endured. As long as there is a Marine Corps it will continue to be like this.

jrohr
11-11-15, 10:11 AM
I don't know about today, but when I was at Lejeune in '77 to '79, and Okinawa after that we only had squad bays. I didn't have a "Room" till my last 10 months or so at 29 Palms in '81.

USMC 2571
11-11-15, 01:28 PM
I don't think commenting on anything is harmful. Misinformation is, but not info, observations, opinions-----

Kegler300
11-11-15, 01:45 PM
Living in a Marine barracks today is like living at the Days Inn ... eating at the mess hall today is like eating at Denny's ...

USMC 2571
11-11-15, 02:24 PM
Thanks----do the grunt unit barracks still have Open squad bays, Kegler300? I know some of the support units don't.

USMC 2571
11-11-15, 02:25 PM
What I envisioned with this thread is just to comment or ask questions about past/present/future Marine Corps, any aspect of it. What was this like? What was that like? Did they have this or that? What do you think things will be like? That kind of thing. Past---present---future.

It might be interesting...and if it's not? Let it fall to the bottom of the tons of obsolete threads.

USMC 2571
11-11-15, 02:28 PM
For example, Mongoose (Billy) and I were talking one night about the current USMC combat uniform and accessories, and we were looking at a photo of Joe (josephd) and neither of us could figure out what this or that gadget was for or how it was used, it looked completely foreign to us of prior eras.

Kegler300
11-11-15, 02:36 PM
I haven't seen an open squad bay since I lived in one in the 77-78 at Camp Hansen. Came back to the states and went to 7th Marines at San Mateo, and all of the grunt units had moved into the hotel style barracks.

silveradomick
11-11-15, 04:25 PM
Hell, things have changed a TON even since I got out in 2006, at least equipment-wise. A lot of the gear that was cutting edge when I was in Iraq, is either old news or obsolete now. The past several years have been monumental in the advances in equipment.

Its amazing how 13 years of being at war will drive the wheels of innovation and change.

FoxtrotOscar
11-11-15, 04:31 PM
Just my opinion here, but I think Grunts should always maintain tight cohesive living conditions, this creates unity and unit effectiveness which gravitates to the field environment..

Room's create, apartment dweller mentality...

Teams must act and work as one under adverse conditions to complete the mission without individuality issues cropping up in the field...

Just my opinion...!!!

USMC 2571
11-11-15, 05:48 PM
Silverado--amazing changes in such a short period of time.

Foxtrot---you're right. How can people interact with each other if they aren't even together.?

USMC 2571
11-11-15, 05:50 PM
There's really no place to talk about past-present-future without having 30 threads going, so this seemed the best way.

Mongoose
11-11-15, 08:58 PM
Just my opinion here, but I think Grunts should always maintain tight cohesive living conditions, this creates unity and unit effectiveness which gravitates to the field environment..

Room's create, apartment dweller mentality...

Teams must act and work as one under adverse conditions to complete the mission without individuality issues cropping up in the field...

Just my opinion...!!! Well, from May of 68 till may of 69.....the only room I was in was a operating room and a hospital ward. Does that count??

Tennessee Top
11-11-15, 09:14 PM
My niece is presently a LCpl at CLNC. Don't have a lot of contact with her. But, it is clear, we don't have much in common as far as being Marines is concerned. She never asks for my input on anything which is probably a good thing because I don't know if I would know enough about the issue to be of any real help to her.

My impression is the open gay situation is not a problem. Marines just consider it an equal opportunity issue.

The Pentagon will announce its policy regarding women in combat at the end of this year. All indications are women will be integrated into combat MOS's - ready or not. Based on the open gays experiment, I am inclined to believe Marines will, once again, accept their fate and carry on best they can. Only time will tell how this experiment turns out.

Next up, is transexuals and changes in grooming/uniform regulations to accommodate religious preferences like full beards and turbans (just like the Army already allows). Same song-and-dance. Marines will continue to adapt and overcome like we always have.

Don't see what's on the horizon beyond these liberal experiments and the current SECDEF's stated attitude of "everyone should be given the same opportunities to serve and the larger the eligibility pool the better".

Mongoose
11-12-15, 06:54 AM
I can only comment on the Corps of my time. It was simple as hell. No gays. No transsexual issues. No religious issues. The Corps was cut and dried. You didn't have to be smart as hell. You did what you was told and could retire in 20 years. Great days to be a Marine.

USMC 2571
11-12-15, 07:08 AM
Very true

advanced
11-12-15, 10:56 AM
Well, I for one would share my fox hole with a good woman any day, a gay wouldn't be so lucky. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b41d8217/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

madsox
11-12-15, 12:32 PM
Past-present-future, this is a good thread. I got started in 84, and looking at the gear we had and how we worked, I think any Marine from WW2 on would have felt right at home. Had broken time that kept me out of the Gulf in 91, got back in 93, and by the time I went IRR in 97 had started seeing some changes.

Not big ones, though. Radios were a little better, admin work had more computers, we had 5-tons instead of Deuces, but it was still ALICE and shelter halves and M16s (A2 then), the last M60 tanks were getting phased out, jeeps were mostly gone... Not a lot of change in how we worked though.

I look at what silverado and josephd have seen change, just a few years after me, and I'm amazed. It's mostly good, though, from what I can tell. Marines are still Marines.

"Old breed, new breed, doesn't make a damn bit of difference" - I think some kinda famous old Jarhead said that once. Still true. As long as it's Marine Breed!

wildwoman73
11-12-15, 01:20 PM
I think(know) some grunt units on the left coast have two man rooms. Not sure about ruling out completely the whole squad bay living quarters.

silveradomick
11-12-15, 01:49 PM
The technology advances over the past let's say ten years have been just enormous. When we deployed to Iraq in 2003 for the invasion, one vehicle at a platoon level was equipped with a blue force tracker system. It was brand new tech that allowed platoon commanders to see the entire battle space in real time on a screen in their vehicle. Now, every vehicle is equipped with one, meaning that as low as a fire team leader has access to the location of every unit on the battlefield, along with tons of other pertinent info, right at their fingertips. That sort of all encompassing knowledge certainly provided new ways to be even more lethal at a small unit level.

Something I always refer back to for perspective is that in 2003, cell phones were a novelty still, with little or no internet capability. One (just one) guy in my platoon spent the money on a digital camera to take with him on our tour, and the rest of us used 35mm disposables. That 4 megapixel digital camera of his cost him an arm and a leg, and saved the pictures on a memory stick that he would then mail home. Seems archaic in today's world where everyone has a 16 megapixel camera built into their phone that allows them to instantly email those pictures anywhere they want to.

Sapi plates were also newer technology for us. My unit wasn't issued any until after the invasion was over. When I tell people we invaded Iraq with flak jackets and kevlars that weren't much different than those worn in the first gulf war, I usually get funny looks.

silveradomick
11-12-15, 01:53 PM
What are some of the advances you Vietnam era guys remember seeing happen? I mean, little things that either helped or hurt the way you were used to doing things in country, like what I was describing up there with the BFT and body armor. Anybody care to share some anecdotal stories? I for one would be all ears.

advanced
11-12-15, 02:46 PM
Well, It's nice to know where all the good guys are, but we spent most of our time trying to find out where the bad guys were. Another thing, we didn't go back every evening for a hot shower, chow and a nice comfortable rack and then email or call home. We kind of lived off the land and starved all the time.

I guess to sum it up a bit, do you know anyone that killed anyone with a rock. Just saying.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b5ad214a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b5ad214a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

silveradomick
11-12-15, 03:30 PM
Bro I'm not trying to get into a dick measuring contest with you. Why is it always like that here?

For the record, half of my first deployment we lived in our trucks. There was no such thing as a base to go back to, because we hadn't built them yet. We "showered" by dumping water cans over each other when we got a chance to, which wasn't often. We were also in MOPP level 2, 3, or 4 for much of the first several weeks.

The other half of that deployment we lived in circus tents when we weren't on missions. 100 guys to a tent, 140 degrees and humid inside, 140 degrees with a maddening 30mph wind outside, and no way to get away from it except to volunteer for more missions, or walk out into the bleak, brown, expansive desert. I normally went the volunteering route, because if I had to suffer, at least I wanted the opportunity to get at the Muj.

USMC 2571
11-12-15, 05:08 PM
No measuring contest. Advanced (Russ) was just making a comment. What happens here is that every time someone from a prior era says something, newer guys jump on it, and that's fine, but it leads to arguments every single time. No one's saying this or that is better or worse. 2015 is not 1965, we all know that. So why not just discuss things without even thinking it is some kind of contest as to who is the baddest mthfkr? :) Maybe we could try that approach someday on this site.

silveradomick
11-12-15, 05:38 PM
Nah no argument from me at all. Just trying to avoid the swordfight and generate discussion regarding what I think is a pretty interesting thread topic.

Also for the record, I'm happy as hell that I didn't have to do things the way guys in Vietnam, Korea, or WW2 had to do them. That **** would've sucked hard, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Marines who went before and built the reputation we stand on today.

Mongoose
11-12-15, 06:11 PM
Well, I for one would share my fox hole with a good woman any day, a gay wouldn't be so lucky. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b41d8217/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
Well now Russ.....I can remember times in the Corps, that I would have shared my fox hole with a good woman, bad woman, blind woman, ugly woman, fat woman. woman with no legs, woman with no arms, woman with out arms or legs, or a woman who was blind, fat and ugly with no arms or legs.

advanced
11-12-15, 06:25 PM
Billy - and your point is?

Mongoose
11-12-15, 06:34 PM
I think(know) some grunt units on the left coast have two man rooms. Not sure about ruling out completely the whole squad bay living quarters.
Tiara, are those rooms air conditioned and heated with carpet? I wouldn't stand for anything less. I'd whop all my D.I.'s ass'es if they tried that maggot **** on me. I'm French and English and they ain't gonna discriminate against me. I wouldn't want breakfast in bed, but I would demand a menu at meal time. Ain't no gung-ho D.I. gonna tell me what to eat. Also, do they have internet and HD television in their rooms. I couldn't make it without MTV and my computer to keep my Ho's in line. Also, there's no damn way I'm gonna work on week-ends. Week-ends is my time.....I don't care if the Gunny or C.O. likes it or not. I'll whop their ass too. Those days are over, where you have to obey orders that conflict with your good times.

Mongoose
11-12-15, 06:43 PM
Billy - and your point is?
My point brother, is that when I wasn't killing gooks I was masturbating . Would have been nice to have had some help. We didn't get to lay up in Da Nang every week-end, like you'll did.

USMC 2571
11-12-15, 07:03 PM
Billy, I like your posts about the Marine Corps not telling you what to do. You tell em!

USMC 2571
11-12-15, 07:43 PM
Amazing, the differences between eras, based on not only technology, but lots of things, like changes in society itself over the years. Interesting.

silveradomick
11-12-15, 07:48 PM
I do wish we would've had R&R that included beer and hookers though. That's one thing that's changed for the worse about the way the Corps does business. Hahaha!

USMC 2571
11-12-15, 07:50 PM
I remember that after a PRT in Puerto Rico, our CO, a major, had, at the end of the run portion of the PRT, two or three thirty gallon drums of beer on ice. A nice surprise. I doubt if that would happen nowadays, on duty like that.

USMC 2571
11-12-15, 07:52 PM
But regarding change, there isn't one thing that has NOT changed since the beginning of history. That's the one thing we can count on---change. And as society goes, so goes the Corps, sooner or later. It can't stay completely divorced from society for very long. But thank goodness it is one of the last places where you find dumb changes.

josephd
11-12-15, 09:05 PM
Past, present, or future the Corps will always the finest and most fierce fighting force to grace this planet.

Whether it be the Revolution, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, or Iraq/Afghanistan.....the Corps will always get the short $hit end of the stick when it comes to things.

I would never compare my time in Afghanistan to anyone elses time anywhere else. I went without sleep for 3-4 days, I've gone weeks without a shower, only eating once a day, and rationing water so we didn't run out....if you've been a Marine in a combat zone this is normal and we still accomplish a mission a notch above every other service.

Just as a few pointed out they us newer guys can't talk about the past because we don't know, many of you older salts can't talk about the present because you as well don't know....none of us here can talk about the future because we don't know...hell there may come a time that the Corps and possibly even this country may not exist.

The Corps is the Corps and will always be the Corps no matter what any of us have to say or think about it.

silveradomick
11-12-15, 09:11 PM
Regarding the future, I'd re-up to be a space Marine for sure!

josephd
11-12-15, 09:15 PM
Regarding the future, I'd re-up to be a space Marine for sure!

spaceship lazer gunner!

Mongoose
11-13-15, 07:53 AM
Well now Josephd.....I had an out of body experience a few days ago. During that episode I saw Camp Lejune in the year 2025. They were having a beauty contest called Miss.Camp Lejune 2025. The contestants was made up of Transgender Marines from various units. They had an evening gown contest, as well as a bikini contest. Of course the gowns and bikinis were camo. They flew in Honorary Marine Catlyin Jenner, Boy Floyde , and Little Richard to be the Judges. Also, the Emcee was our first openly gay Commandant, General Poop Packer.

silveradomick
11-13-15, 09:06 AM
And then, after dreaming dreams of curvy Marine trannys dressed in their tightest green on green, Mongoose awoke to discover the first raging boner he's had since his EAS!

advanced
11-13-15, 09:19 AM
While standing in a pool of gas I bet you play with matches.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b5ad214a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Old Marine
11-13-15, 09:49 AM
Tiara, are those rooms air conditioned and heated with carpet? I wouldn't stand for anything less. I'd whop all my D.I.'s ass'es if they tried that maggot **** on me. I'm French and English and they ain't gonna discriminate against me. I wouldn't want breakfast in bed, but I would demand a menu at meal time. Ain't no gung-ho D.I. gonna tell me what to eat. Also, do they have internet and HD television in their rooms. I couldn't make it without MTV and my computer to keep my Ho's in line. Also, there's no damn way I'm gonna work on week-ends. Week-ends is my time.....I don't care if the Gunny or C.O. likes it or not. I'll whop their ass too. Those days are over, where you have to obey orders that conflict with your good times.

WOW. Hahahaha. Signs of the times. Ain't it great.

silveradomick
11-13-15, 02:26 PM
While standing in a pool of gas I bet you play with matches.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b5ad214a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

You guys didn't break each other's balls when you were in? I thought that was a time honored tradition. :p

Mongoose
11-13-15, 05:05 PM
I'm a ball busting Marine from way back. Not as far back as Russ though. Russ was known as Rowdy Russ in Da Nang. They mounted a bronze statue of Russ in down town Da Nang. He was known to have fathered 142 little gooks. Last I heard he had 326 grandkids. Russ is very proud of his deeds. That's why when he bust's someones balls, he's got a cocky attitude. Silver, that's all we had to do when we wasn't killing gooks, was bust balls, sometimes to the point of fighting. It was the only way to keep your mind off all the **** that was going on around you.

silveradomick
11-13-15, 05:23 PM
Well at least THAT bridges the generations. Wouldn't want to offend anyone's delicate sensibilities or anything.

You hear that Russ? He just called you old! You gonna take that ****? Hahahah.

Kegler300
11-13-15, 05:46 PM
I'm a ball busting Marine from way back. Not as far back as Russ though. Russ was known as Rowdy Russ in Da Nang. They mounted a bronze statue of Russ in down town Da Nang. He was known to have fathered 142 little gooks. Last I heard he had 326 grandkids. Russ is very proud of his deeds. That's why when he bust's someones balls, he's got a cocky attitude. Silver, that's all we had to do when we wasn't killing gooks, was bust balls, sometimes to the point of fighting. It was the only way to keep your mind off all the **** that was going on around you.

http://i.imgur.com/O1Eva1o.gif

USMC 2571
11-13-15, 07:33 PM
Good posts as always, Mongoose.

USMC 2571
11-13-15, 07:40 PM
Does anyone happen to know the strength (actual) of the Marine Corps in, say, 1963 compared to 1968 or so? I seem to remember it as being at about 190,000 in 1963.

USMC 2571
11-13-15, 08:22 PM
Just found it. 1963--189,683-----1968--307,252

advanced
11-14-15, 03:53 AM
Billy is calling me old because this year I have failed to quote what I always quote on his Birthday. Here it goes. Mongoose is boot in the Corps, boot in the Nam and boot in life. Mongoose is 1 month to the day younger than me. He was born after they gave all the good looks away so he's had this need to compare and prove himself to me. Just saying.

Oh, my quote about playing with matches wasn't ball busting, huh? Catch up little one.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b5ad214a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Mongoose
11-14-15, 06:59 AM
You know....they always say you can tell alot about a person, by their profile picture. I think Russ and Blooper shared the same ward. I mean what does a crow sitting on your head, beads around your neck, feathers hanging off your ears, and wearing a fur coat, tell you about someone???

USMC 2571
11-14-15, 07:08 AM
Russ, you know I think the world of you and Mongoose, but I just gotta go with Billy on this one. That headdress does resemble a crow sitting atop your head. No offense. LOL

advanced
11-14-15, 04:49 PM
So I guess to some appearance is everything. I've always gone by whats inside myself. Dave, has anyone mentioned lately just how superficial you are sometimes? Check with your inner self, I'm simply being me and trying to fit in with my Indian crowd. Riding 2 Indians is not always easy you know.

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b5ad214a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Kegler300
11-14-15, 04:56 PM
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-Indian-ChiefVintagea.jpg

USMC 2571
11-14-15, 05:36 PM
Russ, checking my inner self as we speak......

USMC 2571
11-14-15, 05:37 PM
Kegler--that photo didn't come thru, or at least I can't see it.

advanced
11-14-15, 06:11 PM
Now that's a great picture

Mongoose
11-14-15, 06:53 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29226&stc=1Hope Russ doesn't get ****ed at me for sharing a picture of his high school sweetheart. He said she dropped him while he was in Nam. Said he cried for 2 weeks, but finally got over her.

Big Boz
11-14-15, 06:58 PM
I would like to know something about the present. What type of radios are being used? In 91, we learned basic electronics and repaired things using resistors, capacitors and such. Still working on the PRC 77s, and basic HF systems.

By 95, we had multi layered circuit boards with digital components. We just started using plug and play type test station for troubleshooting the SINCGARS radio systems. After I got out, I got into the wireless industry and have seen leaps and bounds in electronic communications in the past 18 years. I can only imagine that the current USMC has to be using some more advanced communications.

silveradomick
11-14-15, 09:16 PM
We had PRC 119's when I was in, but I have no idea what's being used now. I'm sure it's smaller and lighter.

josephd
11-15-15, 01:06 AM
PRC 119's are still being trained on but PRC 152's are used mostly as they have are smaller, can be mounted into and taken out of vehicles easier, have longer batter life, batteries are smaller/lighter, easier to accessorize(e.g. headsets, mouthpeices, earpeices, etc). They are still a line-of-sight radio and quite archaic really considering the technology capabilities we have now.

Radios are really only used for internal comm within a patrol/convoy now though. Most external comm has gone to satellite/cell commication or to the BFT(blue force tracker), a real time battlefield/AO map that you can do overlays on for just about anything and shows everyone else(adjacent units, commands, etc) that has a BFT......we used it within our convoys to send text messages so we didn't jam up comm internally

USMC 2571
11-15-15, 08:29 AM
Thanks, Joe---this one thread allows us to see what the Corps was/is/will be. Thanks for that current information.

m14ed
11-16-15, 01:57 AM
You know....they always say you can tell a lot about a person, by their profile picture.

I think Russ and Blooper shared the same ward.
I mean what does a crow sitting on your head,
beads around your neck,
feathers hanging off your ears,
and wearing a fur coat,
tell you about someone???

^ P.O.D.A.T.
It's just the "Red-Brothers" style-
BLING TO YOU - "white eyes"......

Russ,
you know I think the world of you and Mongoose,
but I just gotta go with Billy on this one.

That head-dress does resemble a crow
sitting atop your head.
No offense. LOL

Crow ???
I thought it's a Pidgeon...

m14ed
11-16-15, 01:59 AM
thinking about gear we saw come into service
back then i think of the FIRST GENERATION
passive night vision scopes we got...
talk about Bloom for those who understand
the term.

chulaivet1966
11-16-15, 08:25 AM
PRC 119's are still being trained on but PRC 152's are used mostly as they have are smaller, can be mounted into and taken out of vehicles easier,

I checked some images of the PRC119's just out of curiosity.
They have come a long way from what we used in my era which was the PRC-6.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/PRC-6#/media/File:PRC-6.agr.jpg

(I'll briefly comment on my experience with the PRC-6.....on 7/9/66 at 04:15 I was on LP with (2) Brothers and ended up in a desperate friendly fire situation. The PRC-6 decided it was not going to work as I was hastily trying to call battalion security and inform them we weren't VC. Quite a predicament to be in and my confidence with that device was truly shaken. :))

Carry on....

silveradomick
11-16-15, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the input Wayne. Sounds like Murphy tagged along on your LP that day for sure! I don't know if the 152's the Joe referred to are a major improvement, but the PRC 119 was a heavy sum***** and it always seemed to loose it's fill (crypto) when you needed it most. Couple that with the connections always being bad between the handset or antenna and the radio, and the fact that they didn't like sand, and you'll know the reason why we used "civilian" Motorola radios for inter-squad comms during patrols. I always liked that in the directions for the PRC-119, they suggested that if the radio wasn't working and you;d tried everything else, you should drop it onto a hard surface from a height of about three feet and then try it again. Only in the service would you find directions like that to "fix" an expensive and complicated piece of equipment!

Ed, I was amazed the first time I used night vision. This was Gen 3 stuff (AN/PVS14B's) and I remember being in Camp Dawson, West Virginia during some cold weather training the first time I really got to play with them. I was truly shocked and amazed to learn that I could actually read a book with the goggles on during a pitch black night with no moon. Of course, they still washed out whenever there was any brighter light on the horizon, but the clarity during actual dark always impressed me.

That early Gen1 NV you refer to, was that the "starlight" scope I've read about?

chulaivet1966
11-16-15, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the input Wayne. 1) Sounds like Murphy tagged along on your LP that day for sure! I always liked that 2) in the directions for the PRC-119, they suggested that if the radio wasn't working and you;d tried everything else, you should drop it onto a hard surface from a height of about three feet and then try it again. Only in the service would you find directions like that to "fix" an expensive and complicated piece of equipment!

1) Yeah.... 'Murphy' was in full control during that event. There is more trauma drama to this story but don't want to derail just to see my own typed words.

2) Ho-ly shvt....that figures the USMC would get equipment that would suggest this type of 'fix'.

I need more mud in my veins....time to fill the cupeth.

Back to it....

silveradomick
11-16-15, 09:33 AM
2) Ho-ly shvt....that figures the USMC would get equipment that would suggest this type of 'fix'.

I need more mud in my veins....time to fill the cupeth.

Back to it....

That was always good for a chuckle for us, since it fit in with the "it figures" vein. Also interesting about the PRC119 was the circle on the top where you were supposed to place the muzzle of your M9 and pull the trigger should the radio be in danger of being captured. I was always amused by that too. Before being taken prisoner, you should shoot the radio to disable it, hahaha.

I'm with you on needing more java. Gonna be another one of those Mondays at work. Ugh.

advanced
11-16-15, 10:23 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29226&stc=1Hope Russ doesn't get ****ed at me for sharing a picture of his high school sweetheart. He said she dropped him while he was in Nam. Said he cried for 2 weeks, but finally got over her.

Billy, now tell everyone the truth, that's a picture of you that you entered into last years GTG convention last year (Gay Texas Guys). If you all remember this was just after Billy cut his beard off last year. By the way, you never told me if you won or not.

Also, how is your therapy going? You're bringing new insight to the slogan of gay pride as you are certainly one proud Marine.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b5ad214a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

madsox
11-16-15, 01:14 PM
Also interesting about the PRC119 was the circle on the top where you were supposed to place the muzzle of your M9 and pull the trigger should the radio be in danger of being captured. I was always amused by that too. Before being taken prisoner, you should shoot the radio to disable it, hahaha.

No prisoners!!

Seriously though, there's a "shoot radio here" tag? Or near enough? Sheesh. At least with a PRC-77 you just had to toss it in some water and let that battery light up, that'd kill the bastard for sure. If it was ever working in the first place.

And yes, even as late as 1988, I was PMing radios that had refurb tags on them from when they were "fixed" at the depot in Danang. Seriously, that one I remember - tearing down the PRC-77 to figure out what was broken, and there on the inside of the cover was an entry from Danang, 1971 I think was the year.

madsox
11-16-15, 01:17 PM
... I remember being in Camp Dawson, West Virginia during some cold weather training ...
Damn, no chit? My Reserve unit did our cold weather training at Camp Dawson too, musta been in 95, or early 96. Before we went over for our vacation in Norway for annual training that year.

Small world!

madsox
11-16-15, 01:19 PM
Last one for now, could somebody pass me the eye bleach? That damn picture Russ and Billy keep sharing keeps popping up in front of me, I swear it's either gonna give me a heart attack or just send me to the "special" hospital for some in-patient care.

Get a room, you two, seriously!

:sick:

silveradomick
11-16-15, 03:37 PM
Seriously though, there's a "shoot radio here" tag? Or near enough? Sheesh.

Not near enough, exactly that. Right on top, dead center, there was a circle the size of a 9mm barrel with three arrows pointing in at it. You were supposed to fire directly down through the thing to keep the sensitive parts from being useable in the event that you couldn't recover it. Always made me chuckle, even though the utility of it is clear.

silveradomick
11-16-15, 03:39 PM
Damn, no chit? My Reserve unit did our cold weather training at Camp Dawson too, musta been in 95, or early 96. Before we went over for our vacation in Norway for annual training that year.

Small world!

Yeah we did a trip to Dawson in January or February every year. MP Co B out of North Versailles, PA for what it's worth. Humping up those fvcking mountains in the cold and then sleeping out in subzero temps made for some sh!tty "training". My unit went to Norway in 2000, first year I was there. Unfortunately I didn't get to go along because I had volunteered for recruiter's assistance. Every AT after that was either CAX or deployment to Iraq. I got hosed, lol.

USMC 2571
11-17-15, 07:25 AM
One huge difference between past eras and today is that in the past, we had absolutely no input into what MOS we would get. None at all. Except what they called "Aviation Guaranteed". Besides that one field, the ever-present Needs of The Corps plus 2 days of Classification Tests early on in boot camp determined what MOS we would be assigned. We signed a contract too, but it was that the Corps owned you for your enlistment period. They said not a word about MOS. We didn't even know they HAD jobs in the Marine Corps. Mongoose (Billy) and I, among others, figured everyone was a Marine, period, and we had no idea about jobs. Nor were we interested. We wanted to become Marines, and we did.

Nowadays, picking the MOS field (not the exact job) is seen by us as a real luxury. But look at (in Ask A Marine) the anxiety it sometimes leads to.

Anyway, the MOS thing is one very big difference between past and present.

advanced
11-17-15, 09:32 AM
What you say is true Dave. I initially though the only job in the MC was that of a rifleman and the Corps did not disappoint me along with about 80% of my graduation platoon (March 67). Needs of the Corps.

Of course during training I heard about other mos's so when on graduation day when we were told what our jobs would be my DI said I was going to a line company. With many members of my family working for the power companies I initially thought I was going to be climbing telephone poles. The Corps took the naiveness out of me. I found out what a Marine Corps line company was and somehow I'm still standing. I thank the beer God every night.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f5d43161/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f5d43161/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>