PDA

View Full Version : Marine Artillery/ HIMARS

JonT
09-22-15, 12:45 PM
Okay so I am currently in the DEP and my MOS right now is 0814 HIMARS Crewman (I'm doing the reserves so I pick the exact MOS) So my question is about the HIMARS MOS school. My recruitor told me the school was 10 weeks long and I take his word for it but I couldn't find any information online. What I do know is that they go to Arty school at Fort Sill which I think is 5 weeks but then if you are doing HIMARS you go to more schooling but I can't find anywhere an exact answer. If anyone has any knowledge about this I would greatly appreciate the help! Thank you for your service and for helping me out!
!

josephd
09-22-15, 12:49 PM
I wasn't aware there was a formal school for HIMARS now, before it was all on the job training within the unit for the MOS

JonT
09-23-15, 01:25 AM
That's the thing, I am not sure if there is one either. I just know that you go to arty school first and I was just guessing you went to HIMARS school after because my recruitor told me the school was 10 weeks long, but I have looked literally everyone on the internet on information about schooling for a HIMARS crewman and there is none at all. I'm guessing because it is such a new MOS.

Baker1971
09-23-15, 09:34 AM
I'm a twenty year Arty Marine. What new MOS ?

LCPL1341
09-23-15, 10:02 AM
Job Description: As a member of a HIMARS battery, operators prepare the HIMARS for movement, combat, and firing. They inspect and prepare the launcher system for employment to include movement to and from concealment. positions and firing positions, operate the fire control systems, and handle multiple launch rocket system (MLRS) family of munitions (MFOM).HIMARS operators perform preventative maintenance and clean system components. They make routine tests and authorized repairs to HIMARS. They provide security, camouflage positions, and protect HIMARS from chemical warfare agents. This MOS will be assigned by the CMC (MM)Job Requirements:
(1) Must be assigned the primary MOS 0811 (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marineenjobs/bl0811.htm) through either completing the USMC Cannon Crewman Course or completion of the appropriate MCI courses and demonstrate qualification through MOJT.
(2) Complete the HIMARS Operator Course and demonstrate qualification through performance for MOS 0814; or demonstrated qualification through MOJT.

According to this, you'll complete the 0811 course at Fort Sill, then proceed to the schooling for 0814 (HIMARS training). It's not a Primary MOS. Your Primary MOS is 0811. 0814 is just an additional MOS that says you're qualified on the HIMARS as well as the regular artillery equipment.

JonT
09-23-15, 11:52 AM
I was thinking the HIMARS was a relatively new MOS, but thank you for the information. So let me make sure I am understanding this right.. You go to arty school in Fort Sill, OK which is 5 weeks correct? Then to HIMARS schooling which is how long?

LCPL1341
09-23-15, 12:39 PM
You go through the 0811 course which is 5 weeks long, and according to the Army website on HIMARS training (since you will go to an Army school for Arty/HIMARS training) it is 6 weeks long. However, this could vary since I also went through an Army school (1341) and the Marines finished the course a week before the Army dudes in our class did. They had an extra week of instruction.

So....you're looking at 5 weeks of 0811 training, and about 6 weeks of 0814 training.

devilbones2
09-24-15, 07:42 AM
My recruiter told me my school was 12 weeks. It turned out to be 11 months. Do you need to get back for something?