PDA

View Full Version : Calling Bumed

SSJH5862
09-12-15, 12:24 PM
Hi there,

My name is Jinsun and I'm a bakery manager from Marlton, NJ. So basically I was talked to Marine OSO to sometime in March and told him I was vegetarian. So when he sent my information to MEPS he instead put down I was allergic to meat, in which the MEPS PDQ'ed me before I could even step foot in the MEPS center. To top it off the OSO apologized and said that he couldn't make changes to something he submitted to MEPS. So instead of going to MEPS in April, I had blood work done and saw an allergist doctor proving that I was not allergic to meat. The information was sent to Bumed in May and I have been calling my OSO office every week in which they say they haven't heard anything.

It's getting ridiculous that a group of doctors can't get to a 3 page document within 5 months. So at this point I'm going to call Bumed and ask what the status update of my file is. Has anyone done this before and can anyone offer any tips?

Zulu 36
09-12-15, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't call BUMED. First, they will probably blow you off. Second, they may rat you out to your OSO for not following the chain of command, so to speak. BUMED moves at the speed of molasses in winter.

I never knew a vegetarian Marine could exist because of the amount of protein you need to maintain and grow muscle strength. They won't let you use protein supplements in OCS.

SSJH5862
09-12-15, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the reassurance Zulu. It's just frustrating to twiddle your thumbs and wait this long without having an alternate option to speed it up. I guess I'll have to do some more waiting.

LCPL1341
09-12-15, 09:11 PM
Regardless of all this. IF (that's a big if) you get selected to OCS, your vegetarian lifestyle will go out the window. There is no way you can survive there on just vegetables. Your body will break down, which will lead to injury, which leads to you coming home empty handed.

LCPL1341
09-12-15, 09:17 PM
And to reiterate what Zulu said, DO NOT call BUMED. If word gets back to your OSO, he'll simply put your number on the block list and shred your application.

USMC 2571
09-12-15, 09:42 PM
I echo Zulu and LCPL, two well respected members. What I would do is to see the OSO, IN PERSON, at this point.

SSJH5862
09-12-15, 09:42 PM
Yup got it. Im not gonna call bumed. It was one of those thoughts where you know it's a stupid idea and it's not the right thing to do and have to ask others and get their affirmation that it was a stupid idea.

on the other hand I'll be the first in my family to serve in any of the armed forces so I really do appreciate the insight this forum gives me.

SSJH5862
09-18-15, 09:29 PM
Update: OSO heard back from BUMED and I went to MEPs and scored a 293 on the PFT (22 pull-ups, 92 crunches and a 18:06 run) all within a week's work. I'm contracted for OCC 221 for ground in the winter and all I have left is the selection boards later in October.

And to all who doubt I'll make it as a vegetarian; you'll be sadly mistaken when I get my gold bars this spring! =)

USMC 2571
09-18-15, 10:34 PM
That's good news, keep us posted.

josephd
09-18-15, 11:22 PM
And to all who doubt I'll make it as a vegetarian; you'll be sadly mistaken when I get my gold bars this spring! =)

congrats on the contract but watch the cocky attitude in here....at this point you aren't even really a "candidate" yet as you haven't even made it to board and you're talking with Marines that have been around for awhile now

LCPL1341
09-19-15, 02:50 PM
Umm....Yeah, like Josephd said, you haven't even been selected yet; and high PFT scores are not a guarantee for selection (you seriously couldn't manage 7 more crunches though?). Also, you haven't been exposed to the rigors of OCS yet. Wait until you're on your feet from 0430-1900ish 6 days a week for the first 3 or 4 weeks with boring classes in between. You'll need a protein source to maintain your body and the salad bar at Bobo Hall won't give you that. Good luck though!

Hammer
09-19-15, 03:35 PM
Yup got it. Im not gonna call bumed. It was one of those thoughts where you know it's a stupid idea and it's not the right thing to do and have to ask others and get their affirmation that it was a stupid idea.

on the other hand I'll be the first in my family to serve in any of the armed forces so I really do appreciate the insight this forum gives me.

If you knew the question was stupid, then why ask it? You do that **** at Quantico, you won't ever do it again.

You have to ask to get affirmation on doing something stupid? Give me and the other Marines on the forum a break. You'll also find out why seasoned Marines have limited respect for 2nd. Lieutenants who ask stupid questions, but because they are officers they are given their due, but with no respect. Wise Up!

SSJH5862
09-19-15, 11:06 PM
You're right I don't know everything, but I'm on this forum so a noob can get some help.

LCPL1341
09-21-15, 10:09 AM
Go over to MarineOCS.com. They have a wealth of information on there that's specifically geared towards OCS prep, what to expect, etc. Just be tactful and respectful on there. It's full of Marine officers and they say "It's a small Corps" but the officer Corps is even smaller. Never know who you'll run into down the line. Good luck!

Baker1971
09-21-15, 10:40 AM
Your allergic to meat ? Never heard of that before.
I'm going to have a slab of prime rib on the grill and look that up.

Best of luck to you Tofu...

SSJH5862
09-21-15, 11:44 AM
I'm not allergic to meat per se.. But consuming animal protein does make me feel sluggish and bloated. I had a blood test done at quest diagnostics and I tested negative for antibodies.

SSJH5862
09-21-15, 12:28 PM
Go over to MarineOCS.com. They have a wealth of information on there that's specifically geared towards OCS prep, what to expect, etc. Just be tactful and respectful on there. It's full of Marine officers and they say "It's a small Corps" but the officer Corps is even smaller. Never know who you'll run into down the line. Good luck!
Thank you! That site is awesome

Baker1971
09-22-15, 09:02 AM
I'm not allergic to meat per se.. But consuming animal protein does make me feel sluggish and bloated. I had a blood test done at quest diagnostics and I tested negative for antibodies.

Shoot, I get tired and sluggish too after eating a 20 oz prime rib.
Your body needs animal protein to make muscle.

SSJH5862
10-26-15, 07:42 PM
Gentlemen, I heard back from my OSO. And have been selected by the board for OCC-221 in January! Other than PTing regularly and reading the welcome packet; are there other activities I can do or can somebody suggest reading material in order to be a better candidate?!

Any help is appreciated,
Jinsun

LCPL1341
10-27-15, 09:17 AM
First of all; CONGRATS. Getting selected for OCC nowadays is extremely competitive; says a lot about your quality as a candidate. Secondly, if you show up in excellent shape, it'll make your time there a lot less painful. If you're not struggling at PT in the morning, you'll be much sharper through out the day in classes, leadership billets, field exercises, etc. You seem to be doing everything right; only thing in your control before you show up is PT ability, so keep hacking away at that. I went through OCS many moons ago, and it was only for the first 6 weeks of the 6/6 split, but the PT was pretty much endurance based (I don't know if they run less now, but when I was there, we ran pretty frequently). What does your PT regimen look like currently?

SSJH5862
11-01-15, 08:55 PM
Thanks LCPL. I made sure that I presented myself in the most professional manner possible. (I don't have tattoos, brought a high GPA and ASVAB score to the table, never got in trouble with the law etc.) Basically I didn't give the board an excuse not to select me. Because I run a bakery, I'm used to waking up 4 in the morning and prepping for the morning rush. After work though, I do go to the gym and do sets of sit-ups, pull-ups and push-ups and finish with a 45 minute aerobic session, 6 days a week. (Depending on my mood I run anywhere from four to six miles on the treadmill or the elliptical) Is there something you'd recommend I add?

Other than that. I've taken the advice above and started eating fish again in order to include red meat in my diet. I've talked to the guys and one gal who went to PLC juniors at my pool function and they all tell me a good chunk of candidates drop out due to injury... I'll move heaven and earth to to be successful in the Marine Corp. so eating meat is not a problem.

Thanks for your input

LCPL1341
11-02-15, 02:00 PM
Marine Corps* and it sounds like you have a good training regimen. My only addition would be to mix up the running and pushups/situps/pullups. For example; sprint a quarter mile, stop, do a set of pullups. Sprint another quarter mile, stop, do a set of pushups. Sprint a quarter mile, stop, do a set of situps. Repeat this sprint/excercise combo for a total or 3-5 miles (distance added up through each sprint plus your warmup/cool down). This will prepare you the best for the PT at OCS. If you're not seriously sucking wind on the Fartlek runs, you'll have an easier time down there. How is your PFT score?

LCPL1341
11-02-15, 02:04 PM
12 sprints is 3 miles, plus a half mile warm up jog, half mile cool down jog should give you a total of 4 miles of running. So pick out 12 workouts and do a fixed number of reps for each one. When the reps get easy, increase the reps. Vary the speed of the runs from an all out sprint to a fast paced (7 min/mile) run. You also don't really need to run more than 5 miles. Avoid potential injury and shin splints by limiting your running. Do these fartlek intervals 4-5 times a week, some light PT the 5th or 6th day, and rest the 7th.