PDA

View Full Version : Independent Studies?

futuremarine
09-04-02, 02:53 PM
I talked to my recruiter today and he said that the Marine Corp doesn't accept kids who are in independent studies or homeschooling even though I would be getting a high school diploma, but he said all I would have to do is earn college credits and it would be fine. My question is, do I have to obtain a certain amount of credits or have to stay there for the entire 2 or 4 years depending on if I go to a community college or State/University College? Thanks for your help.

22DevilPup87
09-04-02, 07:08 PM
I haven't talked a recruiter yet, but I'm also homeschooled. I use an internet based accredited program and will be getting a diploma from a private school. I have a classmate (somewhere in the country, I don't know where he lives. I have classmates all over the world but I know he's in the states) that is in the DEP for the Navy and will not be attending college between graduation and shipping off.

I honestly don't have the answer to your question. I just wanted to put the information out that that if you're using an accredited program (which is the same as going to a private school) you should be okay.

Jess

(P.S. I know you and I have already spoken. I just know there are other homeschoolers out there and wanted to put that info. out there.)

Sixguns
09-04-02, 08:07 PM
Look for my posts in another thread in this forum. The answer is that you would need 15 college credits to be considered a Tier I and fully qualified (educationally) to process for enlistment. Look for the other info to get up to speed on why this is.

futuremarine
09-04-02, 10:19 PM
Much Thanks Six, will do. Have a good night Devilpup.

Sixguns
09-05-02, 05:02 AM
I'm always here to help.

22DevilPup87
09-05-02, 01:41 PM
Tier 1 - High School Graduate.

(1) High School Graduate. An applicant who has attended and completed a 12-year/grade, daytime, structured program of classroom instruction and possesses a locally issued diploma. The diploma must be issued from the school where the applicant completed the program requirements. This includes both:

(a) Traditional high school graduates

(b) Alternative/continuation high school graduates. Not all alternative/continuation high school graduates are classified as Tier I. To qualify as a Tier I graduate, the applicant should have had the same daytime course and graduation requirements; the same days, weeks and hours of attendance; and have earned the same valid high school diploma as earned by graduates of the traditional local public school system. Applicants whose education does not meet this description are usually categorized as Tier II.

(2) College/Post-secondary Student. An applicant who has attended and successfully completed 15 semester hours/22 quarter hours of college, regardless of high school/grammar school education. "Successfully completed" means that the individual earned college-level credits (level 100 or higher) toward a degree in higher education from an institution listed in the degree granting section of the current version of the Accredited Institutions of Post-secondary Education (AIPE), published by the American Council on Education for the Council of Post Secondary Accreditation. NOT all institutions listed in the current AIPE are considered as offering college-level credits. The credits must have been earned through actual classroom participation at the institution awarding the credits. The individual must have attended the institution for the purpose of earning college-level credits, not for the pursuit of a high school equivalence preparation/diploma or to obtain a vo/tech certificate. Credit earned through testing for pursuit of high school equivalency preparation is not acceptable. The 15 semester hours/22 quarter hours do not have to be completed in a single semester. (Note: For the Army, completion of college courses below the 100 level will be accepted for enlistment if the course is clearly identified as a college level course and credit will be recognized by the college towards graduation and degree completion requirements. An original letter on the college letterhead stationary is required to verify the status of courses completed.)

(3) Adult High School Graduate. An applicant who has earned a diploma on the basis of attending and completing an adult education diploma program. For adult education diploma holders to be categorized Tier I high school graduates, their educational program must include attendance which is comparable to that of traditional high schools. Diploma holders possessing attendance not deemed comparable, and/or have been credited attendance based on some form of test-based credential, are usually classified as Tier II status.

The Army allows applicants who is currently enrolled in an adult education or college program, and who further is expected to graduate or attain the required credits within 365 days may to enlist in the Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP). Applicants in pursuit of high school diploma status (Tier 1) via college semester hours or quarter hours must attain the required credits upon completion of the current term of enrollment. Verification is required in the form of a statement from the school that the individual is enrolled, and must indicate the expected graduation or completion date.

(continued in next post)

22DevilPup87
09-05-02, 01:43 PM
Tier II: Alternative Credential Holder. <br />
<br />
(1) Test-based Equivalency Diploma Graduate: An applicant who possesses a GED or other test-based high school equivalency certificate or diploma. This...

Sixguns
09-05-02, 04:32 PM
"To qualify as a Tier I graduate, the applicant should have had the same daytime course and graduation requirements; the same days, weeks and hours of attendance; and have earned the same valid high school diploma as earned by graduates of the traditional local public school system. Applicants whose education does not meet this description are usually categorized as Tier II. "

This essentially means you have to be (physically) in class the same number of hours each day as a traditional school. So, if your local H.S. is in session and students attend classes from 7:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. (6.5 hours per day), your scchool must hold its classes for 6.5 hours each day. Likewise, if other students are attending classes for five days a week, a total of 180 days per school year, your school must have the same standard. If those same students get a H.S. diploma that is regulated by your state's Department of Education, your diploma must meet the same requirements (i.e. same classes). So, if your state or school board requires four years of English, you must have met the same requirement etc.

My other post to your thread directs you to have the local recruiter get an interpretation of your school's credentials. If the recruiting command is unsure of how to categorize your individual school, they can forward information to be reviewed by a higher headquarters.