PDA

View Full Version : a question on cutters

SteelOnTarget
08-01-15, 06:08 PM
Hello Marines, from an old Army artilleryman! I salute you all.

I joined back in 1982 long before cutting was all the rage, so I'm not up on how much of a dis-qualifier a history of cutting is as far as enlisting goes. From what I've read online today, sounds like it's pretty much an automatic disqualifier.

So here is my question, I have a family member who cut himself about 5 years ago and has scars. He enlisted in the Corp, then the day he shipped out they saw his scars and sent him home awaiting a psych eval. Somehow they missed the scars when he had his original physical.

I'm trying to get him to be upfront and take his lumps whatever they are, not sure if he will listen or not. Either way, even if he is upfront, does he even have a chance to get in now anyway? Trying to get some answers for his parents more than for him so they know what to expect.

Thanks

chulaivet1966
08-02-15, 11:41 AM
I hesitate to comment in this sort of thread, but....

Huh....'when cutting was all the rage'?....really!....unbelievable.
So, this person chose to do some 'cutting' because it was a popular cultural activity?

C'mon....you say you were in the Army.
If that is truly so then you should know from experience that it's a shvt idea for him to pursue further.
It should be an automatic disqualifier for many reasons.

Honesty....I don't quite get why anyone thinks someone with this sort of issue should try to enlist in the military not to mention someone advocating for him.
IMO he's not suited for military service in any capacity....end of story.

I'd recommend you stop encouraging/consulting him in this matter.
This post could easily be interpreted as a trolling.
But, what do I know.

That's my take on it....

Carry on....

joseywales
08-02-15, 11:56 AM
Yep, Corps loves cutters. come on in, aint you seen the recruiting posters, op?

chulaivet1966
08-02-15, 12:03 PM
Yep, Corps loves cutters. come on in, aint you seen the recruiting posters, op?

Brother Josey.....

I read some of the posts of this nature and I just don't fvcking get it.
Unless....it's a whole New Corps now :) and I need to get out more.

Back to it....mas cafe para mi.

joseywales
08-02-15, 12:10 PM
Well, as society goes, so goes the Corps, only more slowly, so changes in society take a few extra years to make their way into the Corps, which after all IS composed of members of that society, and so we see an entirely new country and entirely new Corps, one that is sadly NOT reminiscent of the old days. Young uns have no idea what we're talking about, having grown up in the present day insanity.

SteelOnTarget
08-02-15, 12:50 PM
Not trolling or encouraging him, in fact I haven't had a chance to talk to him about any of this yet, I was completely surprised to find out he got sent back because of cutting. My opinion if I do get a chance to talk to him, is to tell him to forget about the military altogether.

Just looking for input for his folks as I said, nothing else. Not saying cutters should get in, not at all. In this day and age who knows what the hell gets by.

Feelin the love up in here for sure.

josephd
08-02-15, 01:09 PM
I was completely surprised to find out he got sent back because of cutting

I'm not, cutting is a sign of underlying mental/emotional issues. And lets say he did do it just to "be cool" or "fit in" or whatever....well that's just a sign that he is a moron.....either way both have no place in the military, especially the Marine Corps!

SteelOnTarget
08-02-15, 03:07 PM
I should clarify, surprised about the cutting, and surprised they didn't catch it during his initial processing. I'm assuming that they ask about it and he conveniently "forgot" to tell anyone, must have. Anyway, thanks for the responses. Peace out!

Tennessee Top
08-03-15, 04:21 AM
@chulaivet1966 it is definitely a whole new Corps now. In fact, I barely recognize it. Talk about PC ran amok! I understand, most of it has been rammed down the Corps' throat by the Pentagon and liberal Congress over the years. Never thought I'd live to see open gays (although everything I hear indicates Marines consider it equal opportunity and no big deal). Next on the agenda are transgenders (Pentagon is studying the issue now with the premise they will be allowed to serve) and loosening restrictions on expressing religious freedoms in uniform appearance. Meaning, it's just a matter of time till you see Marines standing in formation with turbans and full beards (happening in the Army already). The services will submit their recommendations concerning females in combat MOS's to the SECDEF at the end of this year. Easy to see where that one is headed as it too is an equal opportunity deal.

How long will it be before we have a female, transgendered, Sikh, infantry officer, as our commandant? Sounds like something out of a Star Trek episode.

chulaivet1966
08-03-15, 09:33 AM
SteelOnTarget....

Based on your post it did seem to me you were his advocate and asking the question for him.
Thanks for clarifying your position.

Brother TTop....
I hear you on all points noted....and it's some scary shvt.
I'm at a loss for words regarding how I see the Corps and our country devolving.
I truly get a sick feeling in my gut when I think about it all too deeply.

The standards of the Corps are being diminished and diluted by fvcking politicians.
Women in direct ground combat...transgenders now.....religious whiners.
Words are inadequate to describe it all.

Sorry....didn't mean to hijack....back to topic.

bornright
08-03-15, 09:58 AM
Life has enough scars. Cutting oneself to make a scar kind of makes you a phony. It says something about his personality and I would not want him around me.

MunkyVsRobot
08-09-15, 10:44 AM
The Coast Guard does have some really sweet ships. I hear they are selling a few of them so they can get new cutters, gotta keep the homeland safe you know...

Oh wait you mean razor blade cutting eh.. Not sure that was ever the rage I never went to a club so i could go cut myself with a group of friends. Of course the Marine Corps is going to cut him it may be in the past but that $#!t surfaces hard at boot camp. Take this person to go seek some counceling.

doc h fmf
08-09-15, 01:34 PM
Shame on the person doing the physical at the meps,because Iwas thorough with the physical and if I saw any scars I would question.

Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF