PDA

View Full Version : Is my permanent duty station permanent for the whole enlistment or will it change?

andrewye9711
07-11-15, 12:59 PM
Hi, I'm joining the Marine Corps next summer.
There are a few reasons as to why I'm joining, but one of the major reasons is to see the world.
I know that after boot camp, SOI and MOS school, I'll be assigned a permanent duty station and that it could be on the East or West of the United States or overseas in Japan.
I heard from my friends that are in the Marine Corps that they were stationed in multiple locations such as California, Europe and Japan while on their first enlistment.
If I, like my friends, want to be stationed in different bases overseas and in the United States, how frequent will it be and how does it all work?

Tennessee Top
07-11-15, 02:16 PM
Okinawa is currently a 2 year tour. If you go there out of bootcamp, then you would be stationed somewhere else stateside for the remainder of your contract.

Not many Marines currently in Europe. That is primarily an Army/Air Force deal. Should not expect to go there. However, this is subject to change as we pay more attention to Russia. Marines may have to play a larger role in our force structure there. The commandant wants us focused on the Pacific rim.

If you are a grunt, and get assigned to a victor (deployable) unit, then you will eventually go on a MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit) aboard a Navy Amphibious Ready Group. Currently, the deployment cycle is 7 months predeployment workup, 7 months deployed, 7 months dwell time home, begin the cycle again. Most of the time on a MEU is spent floating around in the ocean waiting for something to happen but there are liberty ports involved. This would probably be your best opportunity to see the world. Talk to your recruiter about the Fleet Antiterrorism Security Teams (FAST). They guard nuclear submarines but also stop pirates from ceasing ships at sea, evacuate embassies, etc.

The best way to actually live in foreign countries (3 years), is to be accepted to the Marine Security Guard (MSG) program - embassy duty. But, you won't be eligible to apply till after you become a Lance Corporal (normally a couple years active duty). Most recruiters are not that familiar, because it's not a primary MOS they can get on your contract for you. But, you can ask them about it.

Of course, it's always possible too, you can spend your entire first enlistment at one permanent duty station (PDS). Moving Marines around costs money. And the travel budget is extremely tight today.

This is how it all works. When it comes to promotions, reenlistments, lateral moves, MOS assignments, and duty station assignments, the primary consideration is always "needs of the Marine Corps" - needs of the individual are always secondary (at best).