PDA

View Full Version : The Deep Scars of War

thedrifter
01-12-04, 05:40 AM
America's Endemic Cycle of Warfare <br />
The Deep Scars of War <br />
By FRANCIS BOYLE <br />
<br />
After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941, my father Francis Anthony Boyle, after whom I am named...

thedrifter
01-12-04, 05:41 AM
We Americans cannot keep sending our young men and now women off to fight and to die, or to survive with terrible physical and mental injuries, scarred for the rest of their lives by the horrors of warfare as my father was. Every American who has a child contemplating joining the military for any reason should buy him or her a copy of this book to read. I have three sons, and I will be sure to give a copy of this book to each of them.

America's endemic cycle of warfare, bloodshed, and violence, both internationally and domestically, must stop with us. We must teach our children that there is a better way. Given the pervasive American culture of glorifying and worshiping violence, warfare, death, and destruction, this important book will enable us American parents to better educate our children about the absolute necessity of peace, justice, human rights, and the Rule of Law, both internationally and domestically. This book provides an extremely moving, compelling and irrefutable account of what happens to the young men and women of America when they go into the military, and also when they come home--if they do.

Rick Anderson's Home Front should be required reading in every American high school in order to counteract the outright pro-war propaganda, militarization, and military solicitation currently being inflicted upon our children by the Pentagon and the news media. It should also be required reading for beginning college courses in political science, history, and the other social sciences. Finally, Home Front is a very powerful tool for those of us in the American Peace Movement to use in order to stop the Bush Jr. Administration's attempt to create an American hydrocarbon empire abroad in Iraq, Afghanistan, Colombia and elsewhere by means of exploiting and manipulating the members of U.S. armed forces as pawns in their geopolitical Game of Chess for oil, natural gas, profits, and amassing personal family fortunes in the process. We need as many loyal, patriotic, humanitarian, and principled American citizens as possible to read this book, contemplate its lessons, and then act upon them: Stop these wars!

This essay appears as the foreward to Rick Anderson's vital new book Home Front: the Government's War on Soldiers, published next month by Clarity Press.

Francis A. Boyle, Professor of Law, University of Illinois, is author of Foundations of World Order, Duke University Press, The Criminality of Nuclear Deterrence, and Palestine, Palestinians and International Law, by Clarity Press. He can be reached at: FBOYLE@LAW.UIUC.EDU

http://www.counterpunch.org/boyle01102004.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

MillRatUSMC
01-12-04, 07:23 AM
One man opinion, that all this is.
He lives in this Nation and allowed the freedom of speech because many have stood or are stand a post in the name of Francis A. Boyle, Professor of Law, University of Illinois.
I might ask him;
"What is worth dieing for"?

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

PS My wife says it sounds like a woodpecker, when I pounding away on the keyboard.