PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo policy/waiver

Aterr90
05-19-15, 12:16 PM
Hello Marines,

I'm asking for your insight on my current situation. I spoke with my recruiter last year as I am dedicated to becoming a US Marine, he told me to try another branch as I had a tattoo on my forearm that is slightly larger than my hand and is in violation of current USMC tattoo policy due to size. I respectfully told him that I was not interested in joining any other branch but the Marine Corps.

In short, he still didn't help me. Therefore I went to the Navy being locked on becoming a corpsman, took the ASVAB (got an AFQT score of 66), went through the process at MEPS , but passed up on the Navy because the corpsman rating was not available. I was considering going through their challenge program for their special ops (I'm in excellent shape) but I had to first enlist with a different rating if I didn't make the cut for whatever reason.

So I went back to the Marines recruiter with my ASVAB scores, explained what I tried to do with the Navy and he said that it changes things. I'm now in the process of having 3 reference letters filled out (DD Form 370) and they are going to send it all the way up along with my ASVAB scores. Is there anything else I can add to this waiver package that can increase my chances of enlisting? Perhaps a statement? I've also read that letters from congress can be helpful.

I'm interested in joining the reserves, more specifically the 4t ANGLICO unit in West Palm Beach, FL.

I've also been keeping up with policy news and have read that the USMC was going to review the tattoo policy.... and aside from Sgt. Daniel Knapp's story, I haven't seen anything else. Sometimes I feel a policy change is my only hope as my recruiter has made me understand my chances are slim.

Have any of you seen such waivers get accepted these last few months? Have of you heard anything about the possible changes to the tattoo policy around the corps?

I'd appreciate any insight.

josephd
05-19-15, 12:55 PM
None of us are recruiters here, we cannot tell you one way or another. As far as you should be concerned for right now, what your recruiter says is gospel.

No there is no change coming to the tattoo policy anytime soon, even if there was that would not apply to you as a wannabe/poolee

Aterr90
05-19-15, 02:19 PM
No there is no change coming to the tattoo policy anytime soon, even if there was that would not apply to you as a wannabe/poolee

Wouldn't it apply to other potential recruits and I if the policy became more lenient?

Marine1011
05-19-15, 02:27 PM
The USMC can make an exception for the original poster anytime

josephd
05-19-15, 02:30 PM
Wouldn't it apply to other potential recruits and I if the policy became more lenient?

not necessarily, the tattoo policy is for Marines...the Corps can make their own arbitrary policy for wannabes/poolees. Just because the policy becomes lenient doesn't mean it will be easier to enlist, they cans till make you jump through hoops and submit waivers for it

Tennessee Top
05-19-15, 10:56 PM
Our new Commandant said he was going to take a look at the tattoo policy but now he is leaving to take the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff job later this year (Oct I think). It was not a priority for him and certainly won't be now. I doubt he'll get around to it. I know the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps had been talking to other Sergeants Major about it as well to advise the Commandant. The next Commandant may-or-may-not want to look at it but if he does it won't be anytime this year I wouldn't think.

Tennessee Top
05-19-15, 11:05 PM
Since your Congressman does not know you, I don't see what they could possibly put in a letter that would be beneficial in the form of a recommendation. You can always get their email address and ask I suppose.

Phantom Blooper
05-20-15, 06:15 AM
Writing congressmen/women about the tattoo policy is mute.

Thy can intervene on you behalf....but until CMC changes the policy...all they can do is send a form letter.....it is still up to CMC...

Keep working with recruiter...but until the policy changes you are SOL..the army has medics and their tattoo policy is claimed to be a little more lenient.

Tennessee Top
05-20-15, 08:47 AM
The Army just relaxed their tattoo policy even more. Now, as long as the tattoo can't be seen in their service alpha uniform, it's good-to-go. Basically, nothing below the wrists nor above the collar. They said it is to conform to the social mores of todays youths.

Aterr90
06-04-15, 08:32 AM
Wanted to give an update. I turned in all my references, the recruiter said they look great. He took a few pictures in PT uniform and is sending the waiver package up.

USMC 2571
06-04-15, 12:22 PM
Good luck. Keep us posted here.

Aterr90
06-08-15, 10:42 PM
Thanks.

Will do.

MunkyVsRobot
06-09-15, 07:12 PM
very odd that there are two individuals asking a very similar question about west palm beach ANGLICO. They arent exactly the same but just seems odd.

But the advice from the Marines is pretty spot on. Go try the army they just loosened their tattoo policy.

Aterr90
06-10-15, 06:55 PM
very odd that there are two individuals asking a very similar question about west palm beach ANGLICO. They arent exactly the same but just seems odd.

But the advice from the Marines is pretty spot on. Go try the army they just loosened their tattoo policy.

My recruiter told me the same thing when I first spoke to him. I told him that my goal was to become a Marine, but he didn't really work me. Thus why I went through the Navy with hopes of becoming a corpsman, but that didn't work out. I went back to the same recruiter with my ASVAB scores and story, and he is now working with me. They sent the waiver package up last week, all I can do is hope they accept it, no matter how long it takes.

I don't consider myself a quitter by any means. I'll exhaust every option before I join another branch.

MunkyVsRobot
06-11-15, 02:17 PM
well give it the good college effort, but the way it appears now the tattoo policy isnt changing anytime soon. Aslo considering we are about to lose our new commandant to the JCoS or whereever it will be a lot longer before it is changed.

Aterr90
06-12-15, 08:55 AM
well give it the good college effort, but the way it appears now the tattoo policy isnt changing anytime soon. Aslo considering we are about to lose our new commandant to the JCoS or whereever it will be a lot longer before it is changed.

My recruiter said my only chance of getting in is having the waiver accepted, acknowledging that I'd be an exception to policy. I do have high ASVAB scores and qualify for any enlisted MOS in the corps, so he said that is in my favor.

I just want to give it a shot, at least I know I tried. I'm also very interested in the ANGLICO unit, I'm glad it's one of the local reserve units in my area. The other is Civil Affairs in Miami.

Aterr90
08-24-15, 03:19 PM
UPDATE

I spoke with my recruiter today and he has arranged an interview between their CO and I, he tells me it looks good.