PDA

View Full Version : Need Help/Advice

Aggrollian
04-24-15, 09:00 AM
Hello Marines,

im literally shipping out in 10 days, I was confused about what weight I needed to have I thought that MEPS thought I was 69 in tall but I am 68 And the Doc said 203lbs was my max weight, but that was just to get DEP'd in not to ship out(as my recruiter let me know yesterday) I currently weigh 199 I need to weigh 189. My IST scores are avg. being 6-pull ups 112 crunches 11:15 1.5 mile run. I am also pretty competent in what I should be eating and doing workout wise. I also drink a Gallon of water a day. But my recruiter said if Im one pound over I can't go. I was wondering if anyone had any advice (What to eat, workouts, other) to lose those 10lbs as fast as possible. I orignally shipped Aug 3rd 2015 so I thought I had a little more time but things changed, and now I'm really worried I won't be able to ship. So any advice or help would be much appreciated.

devilbones2
04-24-15, 09:47 AM
Well Don't eat anything. Losing that much weight in 10 days may be impossible, unless its all water.

USMC 2571
04-24-15, 09:59 AM
Also, try PMing chulaivet1966. He has good advice about this subject.

USMC 2571
04-24-15, 10:07 AM
(On a completely unrelated note, but brought up because you mentioned shipping in 10 days, there are at least two of us on this forum who write to recruits in boot camp when they indicate that they want letters and just don't expect friends or family to write to them often, or at all....if this interests you, or any poolee reading this, PM me for details. There are two of us, used to be five or six, we give you our mailing addresses, you write as soon as you hit boot camp, we write back a few times, the sooner you write with your boot camp address, the sooner we reply. We've done this on several occasions over the years. Let me know via PM if you're interested.)

Tennessee Top
04-24-15, 07:55 PM
Losing 10 pounds in just 10 days (if that's even possible) is not healthy. You'd have to starve yourself. Remember, you will be running an inventory IST shortly after arriving at bootcamp. You will need enough strength to pass it or you'll be dropped to the Physical Conditioning Platoon (PCP).

chulaivet1966
04-24-15, 08:26 PM
Also, try PMing chulaivet1966. He has good advice about this subject.

He did just that and I offered some suggestions.
Although...he has to be diligent because he's trying to lose 11# pretty quickly which makes it a delicate caloric equation even if it's possible.
Two pounds a week is considered a safe process so a day or two of very small portions may be in order.
A pound a day is a request for a miracle. :)

Good luck OP....

USMC 2571
04-24-15, 08:34 PM
What's the best way to lose that weight, Wayne? Just so others can read it, and I can too, we spoke on the phone about this but I misplaced the notes I took when you advised me about how to drop pounds......

Aggrollian
04-25-15, 01:37 AM
I worked out way earlier and checked my weight, machine says I weigh 195lbs so it's no longer a lb a day. Thank God, so in reality it's more like 6lbs to meet maximum weight. still 6lbs in 9 days is some kind of miracle. But Im gonna try!

chulaivet1966
04-25-15, 09:48 AM
What's the best way to lose that weight, Wayne? Just so others can read it, and I can too, we spoke on the phone about this but I misplaced the notes I took when you advised me about how to drop pounds......

Reveille!

I'll throw out some bullets and try to be brief:

It''s mathematics....too many calories taken in based on one's activity level.
Add empty, sugary foods (simple carbs) as daily habits and that makes the weight gain quicker with these unhealthy choices.

Cardio...if one needs to lose weight one must get the blood flowing with a disciplined routine of cardio. IE: stationary bike or treadmill if one likes running.
To start a cardio discipline and condition the body one might start a walking schedule first which could be done every day.
Then work up to the stationary bike/treadmill idea.
The intensity of the cardio routine should be based on getting the heart rate up to a point where one can barely carry on a conversation.
Maybe for a male that about 140 bpm (that's just a guess) for about 30-40 minutes (3) or (4) times a week.

The eating routine...stick to lean meats, poultry, fish and vegetables with a smaller dose of carbs at meal time. (one can eat about as much veggies/salads as they want)
The body needs carbs but they should be healthy carbs...not simple sugary ones.
Being ice cream, twinkies, sodas, empty sugary cereals, any easily prepared boxed foods with a shvtload of chemical crap and full of salt. (H20 retention)
I'd stick with potatoes, rice, whole wheat/oat grains, fruits.

One should educate themselves a bit about caloric content of foods.
For an average size male maybe 2500 calories per day is recommended or normal.
But, if one needs to lose weight one needs to eat at a caloric deficit meaning eating smart and only take in 1800 calories a day. (just a reference)
With that attention along with developing a smart cardio routine the weight will come down.
NOTE: one will not look like one of The 300 in a week or a month.
It takes months/years to put on the weight so it's going to require time, discipline and diligence to work the weight off.
All the knowledge needed to know is readily available on the web.

I don't want to sound preachy but I think that's a good way to get started.
Many here can add to the mix if I've forgotten anything pertinent.

Hope that helps any that need to lose weight get on the path to more healthy body mass.

A good weekend to all...carry on.

USMC 2571
04-25-15, 10:36 AM
Thanks, Wayne--much appreciated.

chulaivet1966
04-25-15, 10:40 AM
Mi placer amigo....

Off to get a haircut....maybe I'll just get all of them cut while I'm there.

Back to it....

MunkyVsRobot
04-26-15, 08:15 AM
Its doable when I was a lance one time i wasnt keeping up with my PT and I was like 2 or 3 lbs over my max i lost 10 LBS in a day it was in no way healthy to do that but I did it if you need miracle weight loss like that I can assist where i can but remember this is not healthy nor is it recommended.

Also the diff btween 68 and 69 is the half if you are even a little over the half mark they round up. I am also not sure if you are aware 69" the max weight is 186 if you are 68" the max is 181.

Aggrollian
04-26-15, 01:52 PM
Yeah it's not the healthiest thing ever, I lost some more weight I weigh 192 lbs as of yesterday and that's weird Im 110% sure my recruiter said my max weight is 189?!? I will also PM for more info but as of right now Im gonna continue to do what Im doing! If it comes down to it I will take whatever information you give me and use it hopefully it doesn't come down to it.

LCPL1341
04-26-15, 03:54 PM
68 inches; your max is 181. Its in writing in the height/weight chart, so there's no wiggle room there. I wouldn't recommend dropping 10 pounds in 10 days to be honest. Worst case scenario, you ship later, at least you'll ship healthy and ready to start training. Use it as time to cut the weight and improve that IST. You DONT want to show up to MCRD, during a summer cycle, after just having starved yourself and run your d*ck into the dirt just to make weight. You show up broken, or ready to break, you'll eventually end up in MRP and life will suck.

MunkyVsRobot
04-26-15, 04:58 PM
you can also go hard in the paint with Paleo i am not a huge advocate for paleo all the time but i know some people who have lost a lot of weight being on the paleo diet for a while.

devilbones2
04-27-15, 06:31 AM
It doesn't matter which diet he tries its Calories in Vs. Calories out. Why are you getting so close to your max before you even ship?

Aggrollian
04-27-15, 10:25 AM
Devilbones-The only reason I'm not ready weight wise is because they called me for an earlier ship date, and at MEPS the guy said ok sweet 203 is your max weight, I was at 196-193 it varies sometimes. But recruiter says that just for enlisting purposes, and to go to boot camp my max weight is 189 I was told this when I filled out my paperwork to have my ship date change otherwise I would have, 4 months to figure out what I thought was wrong and to lose the weight properly, but for time reasons I don't have that glory.

Quick Update-I weigh 190 now so I am only one pound away and I still have a week to lose it! So I think I'm gonna make it I've been as healthy as possible in losing the weight but it's still not the best

Baker1971
04-27-15, 10:43 AM
Your the best Wayne. Great advice and always a joke or 2. Get a high n tight lol

chulaivet1966
04-27-15, 11:06 AM
Your the best Wayne. Great advice and always a joke or 2. Get a high n tight lol

Brother Master Gunz.....
Good to hear from you and hope all is well with you and your orbit.

If I'm the 'Wayne' you're referring to thanks for the kind words.
I got a 'high and reasonably tight' and you'd approve.
Besides, I don't want to pvss you off then have me doing squat thrusts in the sand pit until I puke.

OP....looks like you'll reach the intended weight goal.
Now...the real test is fast approaching so steel the mind and gird thy loins for the biggest challenge in your young life.
Set the best example of strength and resolve among your fellow boots during the USMC introductory picnic we fondly refer to as boot camp.

During my time in the Pleistocene Epoch they shoved us through boot in 8 weeks and I'm only guessing it's been back to 12 weeks for some time. (?)

Do not disappoint us weed hopper. :)

Do carry on....

Aggrollian
05-03-15, 08:20 PM
Last little update from me

I'm pretty sure I'll make weight Im at 183 so I leave tomorrow on top of that my friend lucked out he's leaving with me tomorrow at around 185. We'll be in buddy program (but from what I've heard, it might or might not happen) but Im sure we'll both make it just fine! So everything turned out great.
Lastly thank you all for your advice/help/comments any feedback was much appreciated. I can wait to call you my brothers in 90 days

USMC 2571
05-03-15, 08:28 PM
GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!! good luck to you!! Keep us updated when you get back....100% effort, every waking moment, you'll do well.