PDA

View Full Version : would i get DQ?

derekj932
04-14-15, 12:12 PM
I was diagnosed with asthma when I was 2 years old and it has gotten better as I got older before 13 ..at age 17 i prescribed an inhaler for wheezing only for a week.

Asthma (493), including reactive airway disease, exercise-induced bronchospasm or asthmatic bronchitis, reliably

diagnosed and symptomatic after the 13th birthday, does not meet the standard. Reliable diagnostic criteria may includeany of the following elements: substantiated history of cough, wheeze, chest tightness, and/or dyspnea that persists orrecurs over a prolonged period of time, generally more than 12 months.

derekj932
04-14-15, 01:05 PM
It was bronchitis

josephd
04-14-15, 01:45 PM
go talk to a recruiter

Marine1011
04-14-15, 03:16 PM
Yes, when all else fails, please consult with a recruiter. They can tell you if something you had when you were two years old and is gone, is a definite disqualifier. These days I wouldn't be surprised if you were disqualified merely because you could have had a problem but never did.

Phantom Blooper
04-14-15, 03:27 PM
go talk to a recruiter
Do this....then the recruiter may or may not send you to MEPS for a PFT....this has always been a maybe question.

How old are you now?

Having wheezing with exercise and exertion.....there has to be an underlying medical problem for keeping chronic bronchitis.

PM this Marine as he is a Respiratory Therapist in civilian life.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?82284-Tennessee-Top

Baker1971
04-14-15, 06:01 PM
Here's a better test before you go see a recruiter. Go run 3 miles and let us know how you feel.

gkmoz
04-14-15, 06:31 PM
Here's a better test before you go see a recruiter. Go run 3 miles and let us know how you feel.

:)

DanM
04-14-15, 07:04 PM
Childhood asthma doesn't just go away,it usually comes back stronger.10 minutes in the gas chamber without a mask would leave a lasting impression.

josephd
04-14-15, 07:32 PM

hahaha....how about we start the lad off with the 1.5 mile IST, we don't want him dying and then his parents blaming it on us here

Tennessee Top
04-14-15, 08:08 PM
There is such a thing as exercise-induced asthma. Asthma can also be exacerbated by environmental factors like humidity, pollens, etc. Some recruits don't even realize they have asthma till they get...

USMC 2571
04-15-15, 01:00 PM
OP, listen to what everyone is telling you, but especially Tennessee Top, who works in that area you're talking about, professionally speaking.....good advice as usual, Top.

mexbearlll
04-17-15, 12:24 AM
Top, next time can You keep it simple I spent a lot of time looking up words. :beer: S/F

MunkyVsRobot
04-18-15, 07:11 AM
You will probably be a DQ but only MEPS can really tell, just tell your recruiter and proceed from there he will tell you what you need to do.