PDA

View Full Version : Wanna be Motor T Mechanic

ChevyBoat
04-08-15, 04:59 AM
Hello Marines,

I am finishing up my junior year in high school and I plan on joining the Marine Corps as I feel called to serve my country. I am very interested in diesel trucks, and learning to work on them. I have done small repairs on diesel trucks such as replacing the alternator on a 7.3 powerstroke. But nothing huge. However, I took an automotive shop class last year and I am taking a diesel class my senior year (next year). I have a lot of experience working on cars. I rebuilt an engine in shop class, and have replaced the engine in my truck, in fact I am saving up to replace another engine. I am currently working automotive odd jobs such as servicing radiators, replacing brakes, tune-ups, and fixing my friends' cars when something goes wrong (I also work at a fast food place, have a lawncare company in my area, and I am doing a little roofing with my gf's father). I really have a passion for working on vehicles and I want to be a 3521. However, I have a couple questions. 1) Is there anyway this can be guaranteed at all? I have heard different things. The most important thing t me is becoming a Marine, but I would also like to work in a field that interests me. 2) Is there anything Marines in that mos would recommend working on? Any and all responses are greatly appreciated!

josephd
04-08-15, 12:07 PM
1) No, you will get contracted to the 35xx field but could become an operator too. Keep in mind as an operator though you are responsible for basic maintenance of your vehicle.

2) There really isn't anything in the civilian world that I could tell you to go tinker with and work on that would help you get a feel for trucks in the Corps. HMMWV's, 7-ton's, MRAP's, and MAT-V's are all pretty unique to themselves

devilbones2
04-08-15, 01:43 PM
I am so happy that you are not going recon/marsoc/sniper route. I think that you will have fun with trucks if you are into that. I have two close friends that I grew up with that went Motor-T and both loved it.

ChevyBoat
04-08-15, 02:20 PM
I would definitely love the opportunity to work on the MRAPs. They look bad ***. By the way, how is MRAP pronounced?

Big Boz
04-08-15, 07:07 PM
I would definitely love the opportunity to work on the MRAPs. They look bad ***. By the way, how is MRAP pronounced?

Pronounced Em Rap - My brother asked me to look at the wiring system for the one the sheriff's department has. The doors wouldn't open with the power switch. Opening them manually is a real b!t*h. Turned out that the dedicated door batteries were never installed.

Sounds like you are already working on what you need to be working on. If you are good at the mechanical stuff, it will come through on your ASVAB test.

MunkyVsRobot
04-08-15, 07:21 PM
just also bear in mind either one you may not actually get to do your job all that much at least for the first bit. Hell I drive 7-Tons and HMMWV's more than my motor t operators do. Also the only license that I dont have that they do is the LVSR license which I almost had to get...

ChevyBoat
04-08-15, 09:07 PM
just also bear in mind either one you may not actually get to do your job all that much at least for the first bit. Hell I drive 7-Tons and HMMWV's more than my motor t operators do. Also the only license that I dont have that they do is the LVSR license which I almost had to get...

Thats good to know. What is your mos?

ChevyBoat
04-08-15, 09:09 PM
Pronounced Em Rap - My brother asked me to look at the wiring system for the one the sheriff's department has. The doors wouldn't open with the power switch. Opening them manually is a real b!t*h. Turned out that the dedicated door batteries were never installed.

Sounds like you are already working on what you need to be working on. If you are good at the mechanical stuff, it will come through on your ASVAB test.

The doors themselves need batteries....thats some heavy duty stuff right there. Thanks so much for the information!

LCPL1341
04-08-15, 09:39 PM
I'm a mechanic; except rather than Motor T, I'm a Heavy Equipment mechanic. We work on earth moving equipment, construction equipment, cargo moving equipment, etc. Only difference between us and Motor T is that Motor T doesn't work with hydraulic systems (we do). Any questions about this line of work, PM me or just ask on here.

josephd
04-08-15, 10:44 PM

battery operated/power doors?!?!....that must be the civilian/Army version

My MRAP didn't have those, neither did any of the other Marine units who had them. That would have been nice though, those doors weigh a ton and they are the reason I have a busted up knee now(door swung shut and smashed my knee)

mexbearlll
04-10-15, 09:54 PM
My Son is a Motor T Mechanic in 29 palms working on 7 tons, HMMWV's, MRAP'S, anything on Wheels it seems and enjoys it! As He did as a teenager working on our cars and trucks here at Home. Just doesn't like tool crib duty to much ! Heavy Equipment mechanic would been His second choice.

MunkyVsRobot
04-11-15, 07:16 AM
The hard part for me was I had a hobby of being into cars, and I went to UTI inorder to learn the tradecraft and get really skilled at working on vehicles and for 5 years prior to the Marine Corps i worked at a few dealerships and I realized that it was hard to work on cars all day getting stressed out about a job or the flat rate pay check and then go work on my personal vehicle. Im sure the FMF life of a diesel mech in the Marine Corps is different but im sure those similarities exist.

Spalding3531
04-13-15, 10:47 PM
Well listen up, here's some knowledge for you coming from a Motor T operator. I since being said Motor T OP, I worked side by side with the mech's. Telling them what was wrong when i did my PMI'S and my monthly checks, or even my weekly motor stable walk through with my senior leadership letting them know what was wrong with them. That being said its hard work, be prepared for long hours under trucks and inside them. I had mad respect for my mechs. Well maybe not the dumb ones but lets hope your not that kind of mech.

ChevyBoat
04-13-15, 11:10 PM
Honestly the long hours would not bother me as much as some. I like the problem solving aspect of working on cars so the hours I have spent working on them tend to fly by. 10 hours working on cars goes by a lot faster than 10 hours assembling sandwiches at Wendy's that is for sure.

ChevyBoat
04-13-15, 11:11 PM
Thanks for everyone's detailed responses it is definitely appreciated.

Tennessee Top
04-14-15, 10:21 AM
Good luck. You sound like you would be an asset to any motor pool in the Fleet.

Remember the baby steps first. For any of this to happen, you need to graduate from bootcamp and earn the title. Then, complete Marine Combat Training (MCT), and your MOS school. The primary MOS you end up with will be based on the needs of the Marine Corps at that time.

ChevyBoat
05-21-15, 10:08 AM
Good luck. You sound like you would be an asset to any motor pool in the Fleet.

Remember the baby steps first. For any of this to happen, you need to graduate from bootcamp and earn the title. Then, complete Marine Combat Training (MCT), and your MOS school. The primary MOS you end up with will be based on the needs of the Marine Corps at that time.
Thank you and yes I understand. Earning the title is definitely the most important thing. I am also considering Aviation Mechanics and Intel because I took the practice asvab last week at my local RSS and made a 90. My recruiter wants me to swear in soon and I will be making my decision regarding my mos in September when the jobs are recycled and I have my asvab score.