PDA

View Full Version : question regarding mos electronics maintenance field

buck619
03-27-15, 06:00 AM
first off I would like to apologize if I am improperly formatting this question or if there is already an answer to it on this forum, I have searched all over various sites and have so far been unable to find answer. so here it goes. I am currently a poolie about a month away from shipping and I have very little understanding of what mos is, I singed up for the electronics maintenance field my recruiter told me its a "Q8 contact with a bonus" I got a gt score of 115 to qualify. so far all i know is it involves electronics, I was just wondering if someone could clarify what possible mos' I could be assigned with this contact and if possible what I will actually be doing in said mos? I have been told it could include serveral mos fields including possibly 2800, 5000, and others as well? is this a computer tech job? or will I be taking apart radios and such? any answers are much appreciated, thank you

LCPL1341
03-27-15, 03:37 PM
Woo. Loaded question, but ill attempt it. An electronics maintenance Marine is traditionally a 28xx/59xx/72xx. My original MOS was 2831, which is TRC-170 technician. The TRC 170 is a large antiquated tropospheric scatter radio. I was in 29 Palms for about a year. I attended the Basic Electronics Course (all electronics maintenance Marines have to) then went on to me follow on school which was Digital Wideband Repair Course. As a 2800 (2831, 2841, etc) you WILL take radios apart, learn all their components, learn how they work, solder components onto the circuit cards, etc. 2841s work with smaller ground radios, 2831s work with the TRC 170 radios. The 2831 school was EXTREMELY challenging academically, and much of the work you do there is based off troubleshooting faulty radios. It was a real in depth and hands on MOS, expect to be studying your ass off if you get assigned to DWRC (2831 course). 2841 was considered to be a bt easier, but it was still good training since you got familiar with several types of Harris radios that we use in the military. You will get VERY hands on in both these MOS'. Then you have 2847s who work with computer networks and setting them up, setting up telephone systems, etc.

7200s: I dont know EXACTLY what they do except for the fact that they work with comm systems used in the airwing. Their school is long, and tough, that's all I know. Same goes for 5900s.

Big Boz
03-27-15, 08:25 PM
When I was in as a 2841, in our company we also had Microwave Comm. Techs and Crypto Techs. I can't remember what their MOS #s were.

You can't do any of those being color blind. Too many wiring diagrams to trace out.

Everything is probably plug and play by now.

buck619
03-28-15, 02:32 AM
thank you very much for the responses Sir's. this is a much better explanation of what ill be doing. Pretty much clears it up for me, sounds like i will be working on hardware v software and ill find out my specific field in mos school. sounds great, Ive worked on cars for a while and have some experience doing electrical diagnostics, soldering and stereo installs before, so hopefully i will be able to excel in this field. thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question, the information is much appreciated.

LCPL1341
03-28-15, 11:16 AM
You will find out specific MOS right after completing Basic Electronics Course. You'll graduate BEC, go up the hill, and get your MOS assignment which dictates which specific terminal school you'll attend (all of them are in 29 Palms).

petest1
05-12-15, 01:32 PM
Wow! Sure has changed from 1966.