PDA

View Full Version : Question about medical history and MEPS

fatbay121
03-08-15, 10:39 PM
So when i was 16 years old i went to a psychiatrist who treated me for depression and ADD. I got put on two medications but i never really even touched the damn pills. I visited the psychiatrist 2-3 times total and never came back. Pretty embarrassing to looking back on the whole situation, high school was a weird time.

I'm turning 19 in two days now and there's nothing more id like then to get into the infantry but now i'm worried that my medical records may give me some issues. Would it be best that i just keep my mouth shut about the past? I'd appreciate advice.

Thanks
- Martin

josephd
03-08-15, 11:02 PM
I am not going to advise either direction, I'll just say this... <br />
<br />
If it really isn't an issue, yes you could not say anything and enlist without having to worry about any sort of waiver or...

fatbay121
03-08-15, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the reply, i know for a fact that i don't suffer from either of these conditions but just reading about fraudulent enlistment scares the s**t out of me. I would hope that something as small as this issue would just be overlooked even if it was disclosed to MEPS. I spent less than a month visiting that psychiatrist and it was 3 years ago.

Mongoose
03-09-15, 08:40 AM
Fatbay, as an old snuffie....let me enlighten you. In my day, having been treated by psychiatrist or any mental health expert, was a big plus to get into a grunt unit. Depending on the severity of your impairment......you could even by pass boot camp and ITR and sent straight to the mouth of the dragon. We had a great unit bond. When we weren't killing Gooks we would sit around and weave baskets and talk about our friends, only we could see. Our happiest moments was just before a big search and destroy mission, when the Docs took us off our Thorazine. Fatbay, your not quite there yet. However, I would recommend a few more visits to the shrink in order to really drive that nail home. Good luck with your quest. If you need my endorsement, shoot me a PM. I'll try to get back with you tomorrow, as the home is taking us to the Zoo today. SF

Marine1011
03-09-15, 08:50 AM
Mongoose outdoes himself every time. LOL

josephd
03-09-15, 11:41 AM
..something as small as this issue would just be overlooked...

this is not a "small" issue....yes I understand that you say it is a non-issue now but being diagnosed with depression and ADD is gonna throw alot of red flags with your recruiter and at MEPS

fatbay121
03-09-15, 12:39 PM
Ha no thanks old timer, ill stick with my plan B. Thanks for the responses, guess the marines ain't for me.

LCPL1341
03-10-15, 11:03 AM
Is there any paperwork from your visits to the psychiatrist? Were the visits documented anywhere in your medical records?

USMCARivera
03-10-15, 11:08 AM
Your recruiter should advise you on what to say and what not say. Ask him how to handle it. Follow his orders, EXACTLY how he tells you.

Tennessee Top
03-10-15, 12:51 PM
Sounds like he has lost interest and moved onto greener pastures. Probably a wise decision.

fatbay121
03-10-15, 01:17 PM
Is there any paperwork from your visits to the psychiatrist? Were the visits documented anywhere in your medical records?

Yea i actually went to the psychiatrists office yesterday and had the paperwork released to me. I just cant believe these mistakes i made as a teen are coming back to bite me in the ass like this. As a kid i knew i always wanted a military career but at this point it seems that its not going to be an option for me unless i lie. Ill go and talk to a recruiter, even if i have to give them my medical records at least ill have attempted to join. Better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all.

fatbay121
03-10-15, 01:22 PM
Sounds like he has lost interest and moved onto greener pastures. Probably a wise decision.

I'm still extremely interested, but the idea of having to lie and risk my civilian life is making me rethink the idea. If i could go back and beat some sense into my old self id do it in a heartbeat.

Marine1011
03-10-15, 01:27 PM
Never confuse mistake with choices made. Most people do confuse the two, sounds better that way. No blame attached to oneself if it was just a "mistake". LOL

Marine1011
03-10-15, 01:28 PM
Everyone wants to be a Marine since they were three. Then they go out and do things that prevent their enlistment from being a reality. Oh well. Nothing like planning for the future.

fatbay121
03-10-15, 01:35 PM
Everyone wants to be a Marine since they were three. Then they go out and do things that prevent their enlistment from being a reality. Oh well. Nothing like planning for the future.

Yea dude i think you're 100% right, if i'd have planned ahead i definitely wouldn't have been in the situation i'm in now. Anyhow there's other places i can do military service; i'm definitely willing and able.

Phantom Blooper
03-10-15, 03:58 PM
I got put on two medications but i never really even touched the damn pills
It is a good thing you didn't touch the pills...or you would have double trouble.....a lawsuit for growing knockers.....

USMCARivera
03-10-15, 04:06 PM
I have a 4 year old son and he doesn't comprehend what being a Marine is. So when I hear, "I've wanted be a Marine since I was 3" i usually know to be ready to hear some BS.