PDA

View Full Version : MEPS screwing me around

MattC
02-26-15, 05:12 PM
Well I talked to a recruiter many months ago and had we went through the whole paper work process etc and then he told me my MEPS date would be the following week, I told him that night I came in I asked him what if they find a possible heart murmur? He freaked out canceled the date and told me to go to a heart doctor which I did and the test came back normal. But now he brought up the fact that I was diagnosed with ADD years ago even though I havent taken any medication for it and it was most likely a misdiagnose it since I show no symptoms of it. Now MEPS ask for all the physcritatic visits I had for ADD, which I give them and then they say no thats not enough we want all your medical documents of everything since birth. At this point I am like WTF, MEPS never asks for everything. It makes me suspicious because MEPS asking for specific information is completely normal say if I have a bad scar from something and they want documentation of that, but to have literally every appointment of everything from birth which is literally impossible because alot of these hospitals closed downs and many doctors are retired etc. It really is making the military look like a big joke, these impossible requests and with the VA screwing people over and what not is almost laughable that I even want to join. Nevertheless it has been my life goal since I was a child and if it doesnt work out Im gonna have a big problem to solve. Anyways I would like you Marines to give me advice on what to do? Perhaps why they maybe asking this stupidity etc. Plus my recruiter told me btw that if I dont supply all my records that this is the end of the line... I really really need your guys help. Oh and my brother is a Marine and even he confirmed that this whole situation is just so suspicious. I hate to be that guy but possible law suit case?

josephd
02-26-15, 06:20 PM
So the military is a joke and the VA sucks......so don't join. We're better off without someone like you with that kind of attitude.

Even if MEPS is "screwing you around", guess what?....you gotta come up with what they want if you want to join.

That said heart murmurs, ADD, and other things alike can be a huge deal deal in the military...especially the Marine Corps. You may not see it or realize it but you will be put through ALOT of stress, how well do you think someone with any of those conditions will handle that stress?....That stress I am referencing isn't even that of being in combat, that is on a whole new scale.

You coming on here and questioning the system is one thing(it can suck at times) but to do so in the manner you did is unacceptable. To me it sounds as if you are looking for someone reaffirm your already negative thoughts, so here it is what you want to hear

DON'T JOIN!

MattC
02-26-15, 06:52 PM
By saying that I meant the system which it is, there is all kinds of stories of people being screwed out of benefits etc because of doctors sneaking PTSD as a pre existing condition etc to ruin people. So dont think I am talking bad about the military, I am saying the whole legal stuff of it is a complete laughable joke as -probably a few years from now they will be begging people to sign up for the next war or whatever. Either way this is a bit off topic, I am not asking people to reaffirm my negative thoughts, I just want some advice to why MEPS would be asking me for something that they dont ask from other people. NEVER DO THEY REQUEST EVERYTHING, but for some reason they want everything from me as if I am some kind of physcopath. But as I said before the murmur etc was negative so it shouldnt be a problem. They got my letters from my doctor saying that my ADD is cleared and is not a problem and yet they still arent satisfied even though that was both of the problems that were cleared. Thats why I am saying its a joke, yes it is their job to disqualify me but to do it falsely like theyre trying makes me think I need to retaliate with legal action since it seems theyre breaking the law themselves.

Phantom Blooper
02-26-15, 07:51 PM
Where is the falseness of requesting more info?.....It does happen if they think it is pertinent or a special case.......you opened the can of worms by not initially revealing ADD.......... You can't sue the government because MEPS wants more medical info....if that was the case every shmoo that was rejected would be suing to get into the military.....it don't work like that....either provide the requested paperwork or don't try to join....those are your options....Good luck!

MattC
02-26-15, 08:02 PM
I meant suing because of illegally attempting to disqualify someone that qualifies. It just makes no sense to ask the impossible.

Phantom Blooper
02-26-15, 08:10 PM
I meant suing because of illegally attempting to disqualify someone that qualifies. It just makes no sense to ask the impossible.

It still don't work that way....they are not doing anything illegal if you did not originally disclose ADD ....contact USMCRiveria on here with your question's if he doesn't check this thread tonight.

josephd
02-26-15, 08:42 PM

suing MEPS aka. DoD?......LOL, yeah good luck with that

MattC
02-26-15, 08:50 PM
But I did disclose it, I told my recruiter I was diagnosed with ADD but the doctor cleared it saying it was a misdiagnose it, as they think my childish behavior as a kid was somehow ADD.

josephd
02-26-15, 08:52 PM
But I did disclose it, I told my recruiter I was diagnosed

exactly!....so why are you upset that they're asking for documentation on it then?

it doesn't matter when or how it was disclosed, they are going to want verification/documentation that either it was a misdiagnosis like you said or that you grew out of it and have not been on medication recently. The same case goes for the heart murmur or anything else.

I really don't understand how you can be upset as you seem to be over this, it's pretty cut and dry to me.

Tennessee Top
02-26-15, 09:12 PM
If you can find a lawyer willing to take your case against the Government, knock yourself out. Hope you make good money and have some cash in the bank - lawyers are not cheap and require a retainer (money up front).

MattC
02-26-15, 09:37 PM
It wouldn't be for money since my family is already rich its more of just hopefully they lose money for messing with people. And as I said before I DID bring in documentation of everything to do with ADD, but for some reason thats not good enough and now they want like every record from birth to do with everything lol I have never heard of anyone being requested that.

MattC
02-26-15, 09:45 PM
At this point all I can recommend people is too hide anything that wouldnt be a problem which is what I should have done, asthma and stuff obviously not but lets be realistic here its just a bunch of excuses to not accept people because of the cut down, especially seeing tattoos are an issue, some of the best Marines in history have had tattoos.

josephd
02-26-15, 09:46 PM
I have never heard of anyone being requested that.

Because of your vast experience dealing with MEPS and joining the military....Oh wait, I forgot your brother is a Marine so you must really know

josephd
02-26-15, 09:52 PM
have fun getting a job or doing anything after being dishonorably discharged/separated from the Corps for fraudulent enlistment. <br />
<br />
Whether you like it or not, no matter how much money you and your...

ameriken
02-26-15, 09:56 PM
At this point all I can recommend people is too hide anything that wouldnt be a problem which is what I should have done, asthma and stuff obviously not but lets be realistic here its just a bunch of excuses to not accept people because of the cut down, especially seeing tattoos are an issue, some of the best Marines in history have had tattoos.And some of the best Marines in history have been asked to accomplish the impossible and found a way to get it done.

Sounds like you've got your first challenge ahead of you if you really want to be a Marine. You're not the first who's been asked to prove they qualified, others have been asked and have gotten it done.

And you won't be the first to be disqualified either. Fact of life, get over it.

So if you really want to join, then quit *****ing about being asked to prove you're qualified and just find a way to get the job done.

And for anyone reading this thread, I wouldn't advise disclosing something when trying to join. Just look up Article 83 of the UCMJ.

MattC
02-26-15, 10:11 PM
Other than pride it makes no sense to be selective its not like the Marine Corps pays you millions a year so everyone is trying to do it etc. You basically sign up to get treated like property and make an average wage. Which I am ok with, it just makes no sense why so many other people want to do that same thing that it gets to the point of being extremely selective.

Tennessee Top
02-27-15, 12:49 AM
Here are the reasons the services can afford to be so extremely selective these days (has nothing to do with pride - it has everything to do with numbers and budgets):

Everyone is not trying to do it - only 1% of our population serves in the armed services. But, that's all we can afford right now. The military is shrinking big time due to sequestration and dwindling defense budgets. Just watch CSPAN on TV and all the generals repeatedly telling Congress the military has been cut to the bone already. Therefore, they do not need the bodies they once did. The Marine Corps has already disbanded some infantry units, artillery batteries, and aviation squadrons and if sequestration continues will have no choice but to continue doing the same. Since they're not taking the numbers they used to, there are more qualified applicants than there are spaces for them. It's been that way for years now. The USMC has exceeded its enlistment and reenlistment goals the last decade (remember, it's the smallest branch so doesn't take that much to do). That means, just being eligible and qualified now days does not guarantee anyone a contract. Recruiters have the luxury of picking-and-choosing who they're going to offer a contract to (so they're naturally only picking the best). MEPS doctors have the luxury of being picky about who they qualify medically. That is their prerogative as doctors and is certainly not against the law. In fact, it is their mission based on the current manpower constraints.

Now, like you say, if we ever do get into another shooting war, and need to expand the military again, the rules will be relaxed and recruiters, MEPS doctors, etc. will not be able to be so picky about who gets in. Until that happens, you are stuck with the current situation. You can try to fight the system with a lawyer which will take years (and you may lose anyway), you can do what you have to do to give the docs what they want, or, if that is not possible, move on with your life and seek a different career path. The decision is yours.

Phantom Blooper
02-27-15, 07:34 AM
Oh and my brother is a Marine and even he confirmed that this whole situation is just so suspicious.

I applaud your brothers service as a Marine.....but your brother is not privy like us and you to what goes on at MEPS and the RSS.....he is opinioned just like us..."Give them what they want and they'll leave you alone.....

USMCARivera
02-27-15, 10:03 AM
First off, MEPS can do whatever they want as long as what they're asking for is relevant to the case. Secondly, you act as if it is your right to be accepted into the military, like they HAVE to let you join. This is a perfect example of the things that myself and other recruiters deal with on a daily basis.

Marine1011
02-27-15, 11:05 AM
I would start with the Supreme Court of the United States of America and work down from there. They are sure to hear a case like this.

joseywales
02-27-15, 11:11 AM
Narcissism can be a personality disorder, but even when it is not, it is prevalent and epidemic in today's society. This stems from the Do Your Own Thing popular in the 1960s and just now reaching its logical conclusion. i.e. narcissistic personality.

chulaivet1966
02-27-15, 12:55 PM
This is a perfect example of the things that myself and other recruiters deal with on a daily basis.

Ha....I don't know how you are able to put up with the entitlement attitude so you have my respect for any tolerance for it.
If I were in your shoes....I'd only choose the best of the best that didn't involve any whining about requests of waivers for this, waivers for that, I'm special and deserve it.
But, that's just my take.

My my...things and attitudes have certainly changed since my Pleistocene Era of service.
Being a Marine is not a right as previously stated and recruiters decide.
End of story...plenty of other branches to enlist in.

OP...good luck on your quest.

Carry on....

USMCARivera
02-27-15, 01:14 PM
Right now, we actually aren't taking on kids that require waivers for things other than surgeries and small things like that. Even those gets are having to wait. We have the luxury of being selective right now and you better believe that myself and the recruiters that work under me are taking full advantage of this. Personally, I wouldn't even recruit this kid.

chulaivet1966
02-27-15, 01:21 PM
Right now, we actually aren't taking on kids that require waivers for things other than surgeries and small things like that. We have the luxury of being selective right now and you better believe that myself and the recruiters that work under me are taking full advantage of this. Personally, I wouldn't even recruit this kid.

Hmmm.....that works for me. :)
Belly up all.....thanks to ARivera I'm buyin'! :beer:

Stay tough Sarge.

Back to it....

Tennessee Top
02-27-15, 03:06 PM
Right now, we actually aren't taking on kids that require waivers for things other than surgeries and small things like that. Even those gets are having to wait. We have the luxury of being selective right now and you better believe that myself and the recruiters that work under me are taking full advantage of this. Personally, I wouldn't even recruit this kid.

But. That's SO unfair! Even his Marine brother says so!!

USMCARivera
02-27-15, 04:04 PM
But. That's SO unfair! Even his Marine brother says so!!
Hopefully he doesn't pursue legal action. Lol

MattC
02-27-15, 04:45 PM
Lol if they arent taking men with small issues then they better as hell not be taking women which they are, what a joke. I have 2 female friends that got recruited and the fact they have turned away my friend that broke his arm a few years ago and now he is some brawny guy that is actually smart is just laughable, as they take a bunch of small females as Marines. Not even being sexist its just realistic.

Tennessee Top
02-27-15, 08:33 PM
Women AND open gays! Transgenders are just around the corner. But, you're the one busting your a$$ to join the club so it can't be that bad.

LCPL1341
02-27-15, 11:57 PM
Cool thread. Good luck suing the government. Ill be looking out for MattC v. Department of Defense. Itll be in the history books, kids will read about how the Marine Corps lost out on a golden opportunity by not recruiting Matt C. I usually have something constructive to offer, but this thread was comical lol. Just give MEPS what they want or something close to it, you dont have a leg to stand on in this situation.

Tennessee Top
02-28-15, 02:12 AM
Yeah. For someone who wants to join the military so bad, he sure enjoys bashing the hell out of it. For what? If he ever does get in, he'll make a good sea lawyer (every unit needs at least one).

Marine1011
02-28-15, 07:34 AM
Here's an alternative for the OP. Rather than enlisting and wasting these enormous talents, HQMC could use him as a civilian policy adviser/maker. He's got the credentials for it now, on this very thread, telling us how the Corps should be run. Why not make a ton of dough as a civilian consultant to the Commandant? Many people waste their great talents by not following up suggestions made like this one. OP, give it some serious consideration. You're needed more behind the scenes than you are on the front lines. What better way to serve your country than by helping the Commandant out a little bit?

Tennessee Top
02-28-15, 09:36 AM
Great suggestion. But, he has some outstanding recommendations on how the docs at MEPS should be doing their jobs too. That kind of talent should not be wasted on just our Commandant alone. Maybe a consultant job with the Department of Defense would be more appropriate (and mean a higher salary - although he does't really need the money cause his family is already rich). That way, he could influence how MEPS operations are conducted around the country as well as how recruiters would be doing their jobs. I like this idea. The OP should definitely give this some serious consideration.

MattC
02-28-15, 09:51 AM
Lol of course the military needs a bit of bashing, it is no where similar to what it was like back in the golden ages of ww2 etc. Good leadership, no corruption etc etc. But even though you're being sarcastic you are actually intriguing me with this consultant type stuff, except the commandant doesnt need one, and they wont change their ways just because I went to the drawing board and made a non corrupt system, its corrupt for a reason. I didnt get a 92 on the ASVAB for nothing, if only that was a realistic selection...

chulaivet1966
02-28-15, 10:30 AM
I didnt get a 92 on the ASVAB for nothing, if only that was a realistic selection...

MattC.....

I detect a sense of narcissism is rearing it's head.

After reading a humorous post 31 & 32 it's possible you are just too dammed intelligent and deductive to adhere to the protocols and requirements that currently exits for USMC candidacy.
Shvt....I'd guess if you decide to battle the system you could justify why you should just skip boot camp, ITR and any schools battalions.

Yes....more levitous sarcasm but you're asking for it.

Carry on....

joseywales
02-28-15, 10:43 AM
Why would Matt want to be a part of what he terms a corrupt system?

joseywales
02-28-15, 10:45 AM
Matt could actually make Major out of boot camp, I have that much faith in him.

USMC 2571
02-28-15, 01:11 PM
Matt brought all this on himself, but you never know how someone will be once he or she gets in the Corps. How they are on a forum is not always how they are in "real life". Good luck to Matt, but keep feeding us material here, we need a few laughs in today's world. Good luck to you, keep us posted here, please.

LCPL1341
02-28-15, 01:44 PM
LOL! The system is corrupt because they didn’t take YOU…you specifically. You got a 92 on the ASVAB; congrats, it’s an easy test which assesses 9th grade knowledge. The ASVAB is not the MCAT or BAR Exam. It’s a basic aptitude test and the score has no bearing on whether or not the applicant is qualified in several other areas. As far as leadership goes; my direct leadership (NCOs, SNCOs, and OICs) has been OUTSTANDING thus far. All my leaders have looked out for us, and put their junior Marines’ best interest in mind while making mission accomplishment the priority. When stupid BS rolled down hill, they did their best to insulate us from it. If they couldn’t, guess what? We sucked it up like professionals and rolled with the punches. As far as your “back inthe day” unfounded nostalgia goes; the military has evolved and is a more professional and capable force today than it ever was; and it will continue to evolve without you. You don’t know a damn thing about our leaders, or our standards. This leaves you with two choices; stop being a ***** and give MEPS what they’re looking for, or suck it up, act like a grown up and find a different calling in life. I’d suggest the latter.

Tennessee Top
02-28-15, 02:12 PM
:thumbup:We need a "like" button!

USMCARivera
02-28-15, 02:44 PM
Where do I even start? Because we aren't taking people who need waivers, we better not be recruiting women? Don't ever tell me what I should or shouldn't be doing. You don't even rate giving orders to a "slick sleeve". Secondly, we are recruiting women, if they don't require a million and one waivers, just like the men. The military is corrupt, yet you want to join? That's odd. You want the military to be the way it was during WWII?! I've been in the Marine Corps since 2007 and have never had a terrible leader. I've had leaders with questionable personal lives but as far as professionalism, everyone I've dealt with has been great. How would you know how great the military was back in WWII?! The Marine Corps is a well oiled machine and we don't need weak links like yourself. You probably said something stupid to one of the MEPS doctors and that's why they've tasked you with finding everything from birth.

Mongoose
02-28-15, 05:23 PM
Do us a favor.....if you want to be in the Corps....join the Peace Corps. They might be willing to let you overhaul their system.

josephd
02-28-15, 08:24 PM
LOL! The system is corrupt because they didn’t take YOU…you specifically. You got a 92 on the ASVAB; congrats, it’s an easy test which assesses 9th grade knowledge. The ASVAB is not the MCAT or BAR Exam. It’s a basic aptitude test and the score has no bearing on whether or not the applicant is qualified in several other areas. As far as leadership goes; my direct leadership (NCOs, SNCOs, and OICs) has been OUTSTANDING thus far. All my leaders have looked out for us, and put their junior Marines’ best interest in mind while making mission accomplishment the priority. When stupid BS rolled down hill, they did their best to insulate us from it. If they couldn’t, guess what? We sucked it up like professionals and rolled with the punches. As far as your “back inthe day” unfounded nostalgia goes; the military has evolved and is a more professional and capable force today than it ever was; and it will continue to evolve without you. You don’t know a damn thing about our leaders, or our standards. This leaves you with two choices; stop being a ***** and give MEPS what they’re looking for, or suck it up, act like a grown up and find a different calling in life. I’d suggest the latter.

Well said Devil!!

USMCARivera
02-28-15, 08:40 PM
Do us a favor.....if you want to be in the Corps....join the Peace Corps. They might be willing to let you overhaul their system.
This is great. Lol

MattC
03-01-15, 10:47 PM
Either way the fact that the government can just turn down people including me for absolutely no reason at all just because they feel like it, just proves to be inept leaders in place then, if thats honestly the case all they're doing is just turning more people against the government than there already are. They wont be happy until people like me that dont care whether we live or die snap from the absolute corruption. The US military has all the power in the world and yet they let some idiots in suits push them around because they got some bull**** political degree and make money off using them. WW2 soldiers would have a coup against todays government which further backs up my point that the military has changed, now its just kill kill kill instead of stopping people abusing the military's power for their own get rich quick crap. This is really off topic but it still relates that you guys seem to be all ok with, if the government doesnt want you for absolutely no reason then we follow their decision. Which is why America is losing freedom in the first place.

USMC 2571
03-02-15, 05:56 AM
Way oversimplified, and also way over the top. Standard rhetoric for disgruntled individuals nowadays, almost lifted out of some text.

You said your family is rich. It shows now. I think it's probably something you said or did at MEPS or with your recruiter that signaled them that your family might make an offer to buy the Marine Corps, or some such impression they got, along with the entitlement thing today that's everywhere. If someone, your recruiter, or MEPS, got the (correct) impression that you feel entitled, that was probably what triggered this whole thing.

If you were as humble with them as you are with us, then no wonder your chances diminished.

USMC 2571
03-02-15, 07:14 AM
"""""They wont be happy until people like me that dont care whether we live or die snap from the absolute corruption""""

Your words. I suggest you seek help with this before you possibly cause harm to yourself or others.

USMCARivera
03-02-15, 08:18 AM
Someone inform me as the only job I've ever had is being a Marine, Do civilians get this mad when companies aren't hiring? Or is he just a special case?

joseywales
03-02-15, 08:50 AM
Special Case.

MattC
03-02-15, 11:58 AM
If a company didnt want to hire me whatever, but this is different. I am signing myself to basically have a underpaid hard life, I should have every right to be able to do that.

Tennessee Top
03-02-15, 12:55 PM
No. You don't have the right to serve (nobody does). But, if you become qualified, you MAY be given the opportunity. No promises.

Again. You have the typical millennial attitude of entitlement. You believe you're entitled to serve in the military. That's just not the case and never will be. As much as you don't want to accept it.

Zulu 36
03-02-15, 01:24 PM
I think this thread has run it's course. I'll leave Tennessee Top with the final word as it matches mine.