PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Crunches on IST.

USMCSpades
01-13-15, 04:01 PM
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I need some advice from some Jarheads if you could take the time it would be greatly appreciated.

I currently am having some problems with my crunches. I'm a skinny guy 6'0 and 134lbs and when I perform the proper Marine Corps crunch my back is long that it have to lift completely off of it and onto my butt for my elbows to touch my thighs. Thus after about 40 crunches my back locks up and I struggle to lift my body up to my thighs. I feel no strain in my abs just my back. I leave in 6 weeks and I would like to go into boot camp doing more than just the minimum requirement for crunches. Thank you Marines!

My Current IST:
Pullups: 15
Crunches: 67 (on a good day)
1 1/2 Mile: 9:37

USMC 2571
01-13-15, 04:05 PM
You'll get a lot of info here.

Schindig28
01-13-15, 04:16 PM
do leg lifts. that helped me a lot. hang from a bar with your back flat against the wall and lift your legs in the air to where your body is at a 90 degree angle.

josephd
01-13-15, 07:05 PM
do leg lifts. that helped me a lot. hang from a bar with your back flat against the wall and lift your legs in the air to where your body is at a 90 degree angle.

this

LCPL1341
01-14-15, 03:15 PM
Scoot in closer to your feet. Bring your butt close to your feet when youre in the crunch position. Grab just underneath your biceps right where your arm flexes at your elbow. You just drastically reduced your range of motion. You'll basically end up just rocking up and down 100 times to get a perfect score. Easy day. On a sidenote, I think the crunches are flawed. We should move more towards doing full situps.

josephd
01-14-15, 07:24 PM
I think the crunches are flawed. We should move more towards doing full situps.

bite your tongue!!

MunkyVsRobot
01-14-15, 07:46 PM
bite your tongue!!

Freakin boots thinking they know better.

A great way to increase your crunches is the same way you increase your pull ups and your run which is to do more crunches. Its all technique same thing for the run and pull ups more so the crunchers and pull ups than the run but there is for to running too.

josephd
01-14-15, 08:33 PM
Freakin boots thinking they know better

hhahahahahahaa

LCPL1341
01-14-15, 10:17 PM
Are we gonna pretend like the crunches arent a joke? They are. I'd even go so far as to say that the Army has a better concept with the full situps. Anyone can move up and down 100 times with a 2 inch range of motion.

Tennessee Top
01-14-15, 10:32 PM
We used to do sit-ups. Don't know why they felt the need to change to crunches (unless they're easier for the females being top heavy or something like that). lol

josephd
01-15-15, 08:47 PM
Are we gonna pretend like the crunches arent a joke? They are. I'd even go so far as to say that the Army has a better concept with the full situps. Anyone can move up and down 100 times with a 2 inch range of motion.

No I am not pretending with anything.....but why make something unnecessarily harder?......full sit ups aren't any better of a test at core strength than crunches

USMCSpades
01-16-15, 02:59 AM
I appreciate all the advice. I've been doing leg lifts every other day and crunches every day. Today at PT I hit 85 with my feet touching my butt and slowing moved them back as I felt strain. I had no issues, and I'm hoping to keep excelling during Saturdays Poolee function. Thank you once again, Marines.

LCPL1341
01-16-15, 08:59 AM
No I am not pretending with anything.....but why make something unnecessarily harder?......full sit ups aren't any better of a test at core strength than crunches

I agree with this.