PDA

View Full Version : New pistol in works for Force Recon units Hand-built .45s to be replaced with a gun t

thedrifter
01-07-04, 06:33 AM
Issue Date: January 12, 2004

New pistol in works for Force Recon units
By Christian Lowe and Gidget Fuentes
Times staff writers

Force Reconnaissance Marines may have a new pistol in their holsters by the end of the year, one that will replace the last of the Corps’ M1911A1 .45-caliber pistols still in action.
The Corps is asking gun makers for a new .45-caliber pistol to replace the modified M1911A1 pistol now used for close-quarters combat and direct-action missions.

Officials with Marine Corps Systems Command at Quantico, Va., will issue a new request for proposals sometime in the next few months, said Lt. Col. Brent A. Smith, SysCom’s infantry weapons program manager. The Corps plans to purchase up to 1,100 of the new pistols under a $1.9 million contract, and fielding should begin in the fall.

“It’s going to be vastly superior to anything we’ve had,” Smith said.

Currently, Force Recon teams and members of Special Operations Training Groups use the MEU(SOC) .45, a specially modified pistol built from M1911A1 pistols left after the shift to the M9 9mm pistol in 1986.

Force Recon Marines, who often see close-quarters combat, said the M9 didn’t have the one-shot stopping power they needed at close ranges. So they opted for the MEU(SOC) .45, hand-built by Precision Weapons Section armorers at Quantico.

But those pistols break down more frequently, and the time and expense of fixing them led the Corps to search for a replacement, said Maj. Mike Manning, director of infantry weapons programs at Systems Command.

Instead of buying a new pistol, the Corps in 2001 modified the MEU(SOC) .45 with a M1913 rail system, which allows the user to attach flashlights, laser pointers or other accessories.

That rail system couldn’t take the beating of near-constant use, however. A Marine typically fires 15,000 rounds through a MEU(SOC) .45 during a deployment, but the pistols failed much sooner when rail systems were added.

“We put it through a limited evaluation, but the rail cracked after 7,000 rounds on average,” Manning said. “So we said, ‘Where do we go from here?’”

A growing need

The need for a new pistol grew in 2002 as the number of recon Marines increased and a detachment of Marines was added to the ranks of U.S. Special Operations Command.

Last year, Marine Corps Special Operations Detachment 1 got a new .45 to use in the interim, a modified Kimber 1911 that’s unique to the new unit.

For the Force Recon community, SysCom sought proposals last April from gun makers for a replacement based on the current MEU(SOC) .45 design.

Three gun makers sent test weapons for a shoot-off at Quantico, but all three were found lacking, Manning said. They all “went to 10,000 rounds before failures,” Manning said, but it wasn’t enough for a proper evaluation by Marine testers. So it was back to the drawing board.

On Nov. 21, the Corps went to gun manufacturers with a broadened proposal that opened the playing field by eliminating the requirement that the replacement .45 be based on the MEU(SOC) design.

Among the requirements is a mandate that the new pistol be easier to fix than the hand-built MEU(SOC) .45, which must be sent to Quantico for repairs.

Easy maintenance

“This is the single biggest key performance parameter for a unit. It has got to have drop-in parts,” Smith said. “This is a problem we have with the current MEU(SOC) pistol.”

By easing design restrictions, SysCom officials hope to lure more manufacturers to submit their top designs.

“We will encourage the industry folks to send us their best and to be innovative,” Smith said.

A Dec. 17 vendor session at Quantico, for instance, attracted 10 U.S. and foreign gun makers.

“All of them said they can make a .45-caliber pistol that meets or exceeds our requirements,” Smith said.

It’s a small part of the Corps’ weapons inventory, Smith said, but the pistol “is something absolutely critical that the MEU(SOC)s have.”

In the meantime, the MEU(SOC) .45 remains a popular weapon among Marines.

“It is reliable,” said Patrick A. Rogers, a weapons expert and retired chief warrant officer and New York police sergeant. “While nothing that can be held in two hands can be guaranteed to take out an opponent every time, the .45 has a larger diameter projectile” than the 9mm round.

“Large holes mean more air in, and more air out,” Rogers said, adding “the ergonomics and consistent trigger pull make the pistol easier and faster to shoot accurately.”

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=0-MARINEPAPER-2520575.php

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

greensideout
01-07-04, 08:18 PM
I would try to get back into active duty if I thought could get my hands on a Kimber 1911A1! How good can it get?! :)

The new weapon will probally be large and chunky resembleing a lunch box.

15000 rds per deployment?!!! They are having way to much fun.

Hope they stay with the .45 cal.

TracGunny
01-07-04, 09:07 PM
My first 3 quals with pistol was with the 1911A1... never did take a liking to the Barretta M9 9mm...

mrbsox
01-08-04, 10:08 AM
Been thinking about adding a 92FS to the collection... for the wife, yhea, that sounds good :banana:

Maybe they'll be a little cheaper now !!

Terry

USMC-FO
01-08-04, 10:18 AM
I too qualified regularly with the M1911 when I was active in the 60's. Liked to carry it as it added to the comfort level. Today I have the Baretta 92 FS and it works well for my uses target shooting at the club. My 10 year old can also fire it without throwing his shoulder out ! Not sure that would be the case with the old .45 cal. Different age now--borderline 'ole fart' category--so the Baretta is fine for me now. Were I need of more lethal sidearm I would opt for the "bigger is better" school of thought.

JITB
01-09-04, 05:45 AM
I'm a 45 ACP type of guy! Some years ago, I chose the 45 ACP because of pistol competition and self defense. For .22 caliber matches, I used a Ruger .22 with the same grip angle as the M1911A1. For Centerfire and 45 ACP matches, I used the same acurized Colt Government. I figured any advantage I lost by using the 45 for Centerfire was offset by the fact I used the same pistol for everything and was comfortable with it.

As far as a carry gun goes, I chose the 45 ACP as I wanted a pistol that would do the job with one or two shots and not go through three walls after it hit a bad guy. A couple of years ago, I switched my carry gun from the Colt Government to a Ruger P-97 in 45 ACP. The Ruger is a great combination of a reasonable price, flawless operation and comfort to shoot.

kentmitchell
01-15-04, 03:35 PM
I learned a long time ago that there's a better .45 already out there---the Glock. Say what you will, it's superbly accurate, almost maintenance free (even cops can't screw it up), and already in use by nearly have the state police units in the country.
And it holds nearly twice the number of rounds the 1911 does.
I was a 1911 man for years and years until I had the opportunity to spend time with a Glock.
Better is better. Deal with it. And save a lot of bucks on R&D.

yellowwing
01-15-04, 05:56 PM
Two stories. My Apache SEAL buddy was assigned to safeguard the NATO Admiral detached to the Italy command. As they were exited a vehicle one afternoon, two terrorist opened up with AKs from the roof tops. A dozen Itallian police opened up with the pop-pop-pop of 9mms. The terrorists kept hammering the street with 7.62x39s. Once he had the Admiral back into the armored sedan, CWO Smothers drew his M1911 on to the rooftop terrorists. Two single BOOM-BOOMs. The terrorist were no longer a threat.

In MCLB Albany, one roommate from Kentucky was on the base pistol team. To qual on the M1911, just breaking paper at 100 yards was considered a hit. This highly trained and motivated Marine Sargeant could regularly tight group 5 head shots at 100 yards!

His eval of the Baretta was that it was light enough to score 10 head shots at 100 yards. He just loved his armorer that made extra modifications!

greensideout
01-15-04, 07:25 PM
The Glock is a fine weapon for what it was designed for. Safe, easy to use and reliable---but it's ugly!---the "lunch box" type.

Go to your local gun shop and set the Glock next to a Kimber 1911-A1. What do you see? The beauty and the beast---lol.

If you need a lot of rounds in the grip, go for the dubble stack mag. in the 1911-A1 type.

What are all pistols compared to? Yes, the .45 cal 1911-A1. No matter how hard they try, it's never quite as good. Remember the 8MM? It wanted to be the replacement for the .45 cal but the boys and girls at the FBI didn't like the recoil. The cut down version is now the 40 SW. The same is true for the glock---for people that need a firearm in their work but don't take time to shoot a lot.

mrbsox
01-16-04, 05:37 AM
gso;

Do you mean the 10 mm ??

Was supposed to be the next widley accepted round, but flopped. Last I heard about it, it was still kinda popular on the 'pin' shooting circuit. But that was years ago.

greensideout
01-16-04, 05:58 PM
Thanks sox, that's what I meant.

reddog4950
01-17-04, 10:44 AM
The bottom line the 45 cal. is a manstopper. the 9mm was designed for more hits then the 45. Remember the old 45's were loose so they wouldn't jam. The new one's don't jam unless made to compete, then they are made for targets not people.
Me I have and 89 Wilson 45 and wouldn't trade it.
Reddog4950