PDA

View Full Version : Young veteran of two wars recounts his experiences

thedrifter
01-04-04, 10:32 AM
Young veteran of two wars recounts his experiences
By Pablo Candia
Special to the Globe

He is 21 years old, but he is already a war veteran. He survived two wars: Afghanistan and Iraq.

Jerome Thomas finished his three-year military service in the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit this past Christmas Eve. His military career began in 2000 after he graduated from Dodge City High School.

Thomas was born in Dodge City. His father, Joe, is a Vietnam War veteran. Thomas returned to Dodge City with great experiences he gained in the two wars.

A day after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, Thomas was deployed to Afghanistan aboard the Peleliu Amphibious Read Fleet. The mission: Root out Al-Qaeda and the Taliban government harboring them.

On Nov. 25, 2001, Thomas joined an amphibious assault force and landed 90 miles southwest of Kandahar. Then, Thomas became involved in the forces that secured the Kandahar airport. He remained in Kandahar until January 2002, when the 15th MEU left Afghanistan and returned to the Marine Corps base in San Diego.

But a major duty was on the way for Thomas. On Jan. 6, 2003, he departed again with the 15th MEU to Kuwait, where he was assigned to the AAV Platoon. He was ready to fight in the Iraq war.

On March 21, Thomas crossed the Iraq border, driving his tank in the first line of combat.

"After five minutes, we crossed the border and we became involved in the fight. My tank was attacked with propelled grenades and AK-47 fire, but I felt a high disposition to go ahead fighting with my 50mm gun," Thomas said.

He remembered how one of his fellow Marines was killed by friendly fire while they were advancing inside Iraqi territory.

"He was confused with an Iraqi soldier. That was sad, but this incident also inspired me to complete my mission," he said.

Thomas said while they were fighting and advancing, they captured about 400 Iraqi soldiers. He became involved in fierce fighting in Umm Qasr, where the 15th MEU established its first base to operate within Iraq.

On March 24, Thomas fought in Az Zubayr, an Iraqi port city.

"We then secured the port and after, we continued advancing to An Nasiriya. The fighting there lasted several days. One of my duties was searching for Iraqi military house by house," Thomas said.

He remained in An Nasiriya until May 1, 2003. The 15th MEU had ended its combat duties. Iraq was liberated.

Among Thomas' unforgettable war moments was seeing Iraqi civilians greeting his unit.

"One shouted, others cried. They were happy that Saddam Hussein was over. This happened 25 miles from Baghdad," he said.

Thomas reflects the typical personality of a disciplined soldier who loves his country and is proud to have served in two wars.

"I didn't have fear, I didn't think in the dangers on my life, I never showed weakness. My morale was high, I was ready to fight, ready for action," he said. "Of course I thought of my parents, my family, my friends, my town. But I did put on top, first, my must as a soldier defending his country."

Thomas said he gained great experiences from the war. He learned to love his country more, and he had the opportunity to see many places in the world during his three years with the Marine Corps.

"It was exciting getting to know different people and different cultures while serving my country," he said.

Thomas said his future plans are to relax and rest for a while and then attend college.

"My goal now is getting a major in psychology. Probably I will start here in Dodge City next fall," the young veteran said.

Thomas' parents said they are very proud of their son. His father, Joe, said his son's return was a precious Christmas gift.

"I am proud Jerome served his country. I hope he uses his great experiences in his personal life," he said.

"The best Christmas gift I have received in my life is my son's return. I feel wonderful. When the Iraqi war began, I was anguished. I watched the news, I believed that every report about American soldiers killed was my son. My son is not only my pride. He is also my town's pride," Thomas' mother, Lura Page, said.

http://www.dodgeglobe.com/stories/010304/loc_0103040026.shtml

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: