PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions

shark6485
01-03-04, 01:26 PM
I am also planning on asking a recruiter these questions, but I thought I would also hear what you had to say first.

1. If I join the Marine reserves in lets say, New York, but after college I move somewhere else, such as Boston, is it possible to switch reserve duty stations or am I stuck in New York? For example, if I am a reserve infantryman, and there is an infantry duty station in a different location, how difficult is it to switch stations?

2. Is it possible to switch from reserve status to active duty before your reserve contract is over? For instance, what if I am a Marine infantry reservist and decide I want to go into active duty. Do I need to wait until my reserve time is over or is there a way to switch over to active duty? Is it hard to do this?

Thanks.

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-03-04, 10:20 PM
You can change units, and it isn't difficult if your MOS is needed at the new station. It is possible to go to active duty if you are a reservist, but it isn't automatic. Many people try and are not allowed to do so, but on the flip side, several people are able to do so. It depends on your record as a reservist, and the needs of the Marine Corps at that time.

leroy8541
01-04-04, 10:00 AM
you can move around while in the reserves, but next to impossible to augment unless your unit is called up.

J. WILSON
01-05-04, 03:48 AM
JUST GO FULL TIME!

shark6485
02-10-04, 05:46 PM
Here the situation...right now I am in college as a freshman. I want to go into the reserves next summer after my sophmore year (no openings for this summer) After graduating college I want to go active duty, but stay enlisted and do a few years enlisted. There is an infantry unit near my college, so I would have an infantry mos. Would it be hard to switch to active duty infantry from reserve infantry after 2 years? Thanks.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-11-04, 01:15 AM
Shark it depends on the needs of the Corps. And, it isn't a sure thing you would be infantry on active duty. Just because that is your reserve MOS does not mean it would be your MOS on active duty. But, if you are a stellar Marine and do all that you need to do, they would most likely find a spot for you in the FMF.

shark6485
02-11-04, 09:41 AM
Would you say my best bet would be to go in the reserves after sophmore year and pray to get transfered to active duty or should I just wait until after college just to enlist? What would be the best route? As stated before, I want to serve active enlisted before I think about becoming an officer. Thanks.

G.L.B.
02-11-04, 09:48 AM
My friend was a 90 day reservest after highschool and went to college as an enlisted Marine. He did his drill weekends while going through college, while ganing time and rank. After college he went through OCS and rolled his time and rank over to an Officer. Mabe an idea. Hey while in college learn how to spell, because I can't and it sucks!:banana:

cmbell
02-11-04, 11:13 AM
Sounds like you've got it pretty well figured out. Once you get through college you have the option of serving as enlisted or going to OTC. It all depends on what your goals are and what part of the service you want to serve in.

In college is a good idea though, reservists get a lot of college assistance and the weekend pay can realy pick up the gaps especially once you get into upper level college courses, which will conflict with working more that you've experienced now.

If you plan on being an officer it will also give you knowledge about how things work from top to bottom, which could realy help put you ahead of the game. You may also check out ROTC programs in college. Even if they are with another service, alot of the time it will transfer and give you an advance in rank or other oppertunities. There's a whole lot of assistance on tuition through these programs as well, even if you were to have to move to a college with a Marine ROTC program.

Overall the more you get involved in the better off you'll be. Good luck & Semper Fi future Marine.

firstsgtmike
02-11-04, 01:27 PM
I agree with G.L.B.

Learn how to spell, because there will be times when a spell checker is not available.

Sixguns
02-11-04, 05:16 PM
You can switch reserve units. Just remember that the new unit may not have a need for your MOS. You may find yourself retraining or going to MOS school to learn new skills.

The real question is why would you want to be a Reserve Marine when active duty offers more

1. choices for duty
2. MOSs
3. school seats/special training
4. more money for education
5. full-time pay and benefits
6. opportunities to travel
7. more experience and growth potential
8. more leadership opportunities
9. promotions
10. commissioning programs

Well, there are my top ten.

think it over and consider the opportunity of active duty.

Sixguns

MAJMike
02-11-04, 05:47 PM
If you really want to become an officer eventually, I would suggest going to PLC courses between you sophomore and junior and junior and senior years of college - six months each summer. You are commissioned upon graduation and then you're off to TBS (The Basic School).

Speak to the I&I staff at your local reserve unit about officer programs and ask them about the possibility of making the transition from enlisted reserve to reserve officer.

What you don't know, and haven't figured into your plan is that just because your are an enlisted reserve Marine with a college degeree, you don't automatically get to go to OCS. ESPECIALLY in the reserves, there are slots for officers (just as there are slots for virtually every position in the Corps, active and reserve). You may find that there are very limited , IF ANY opportunities to become an officer in the reserve after serving as enlisted. Some of the factors that effect this are: 1) Availability of unfilled junior officer slots in the reserves; 2) Need for junior officers in specific billets and specific units; 3) Number of regular Marine junior officers transitioning to the active reserve. The Corps will fill the reserve junior officer slots with reserve officers coming out of OCS/TBS/Commissioning Programs (ROTC, etc) and regular officers migrating to the reserves before there's an opportunity for an enlisted reserve to become a reserve officer.

This may have changed some over the years, but that's the way it used to be.

I was lucky, I was an enlisted reserve Marine with a college degree during the Viet Nam era. I attended enlisted boot camp at MCRD San Diego and became a 2531 (Field Radio Operator) as a member of a reserve comm support company in Indianapolis. I was approached at the end of boot camp and offered a slot at OCS which would have been a commission in the reserves, but I would have been on active duty as a junior line officer with a rifle platoon. Eighteen months later, I applied for, and recieved a slot in flight school as an aviator - but it was a minimum six year active duty committment, and I had to do both OCS and TBS before flight school. I was still a reserve officer serving on active duty. In those days there was a big need for junior officers as well as aviators. There were many enlisted commissioning programs and I remember meeting several "mustang" junior officers who were directly commissioned as infantry second lieutenants. In those days, the Corps was rapidly expanding, well beyond their fixed number of about 175,000 regular officers and enlisted. Rank came quickly (I made Sgt. in 18 months in the reserves!) as there was a serious shortage of NCOs and junior officers.

Times have changed.

Today, there are less than 40,000 reserves - enlisted and officers, and 175,000 regular Marines.

MR Ventura
MAJ USMCR
1968-1975

shark6485
02-12-04, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. The reason I am thinking about reserves right now is because I am in college with scholarships. When I get out of school I do plan on going active duty, but since I am in college now, I intend on finishing up my 4 years here before I go to active duty. I am still debating between just waiting until after I graduate college to enlist, or doing the reserves for 2 years and then hopfully switching to active duty once I am out of college. Any advice?

cmbell
02-14-04, 08:13 PM
You should realy sit down with a recruiter, cuz they've got the heads up on all this.

If the scholarships run out, the reserves offers financial help. That's about all I know.

jdfairman
02-14-04, 11:11 PM
Wouldn't hurt to talk to your area Officer Selection Officer just to see what's available. Get ALL the information available before you make your decision.

Sixguns
02-15-04, 05:04 PM
As a college student you will need to have an OSO interview anyway. Find your nearest recruiter and schedule an appointment. I would stay in college if the scholarships are paying for it. I would try to go the PLC route first. Fall back plan is reserve enlisted option. If you do go reserves, you can always apply for augmentation to active duty later.

Good luck.

Sixguns

immaproshooter
02-15-04, 05:30 PM