PDA

View Full Version : Disqualifying Medical History?

MattDS
09-28-14, 08:11 PM
Hi, I don't post on forums very much, but I have a few questions and no matter where I look I cannot find answers to them. I hate thinking because it isn't mentioned, it doesn't matter. I'll be talking to a recruiter in four days, just would like to know sooner/more about the subject.

So, I've been interested in serving since childhood but It's always felt like a pipe dream. Just something I wasn't made for.

2 years later, 80lbs less fat and 20lbs more muscle, I realize... It's an option. Though, I'm afraid it's not meant to be. I have a medical history and I know how strict qualifications are.

I have two big concerns that might disqualify me from enlisting and then a couple minor ones. I want to know if any of these are major issues, outright disqualifying, or if I shouldn't worry about it.

1: Charcot–Marie–Tooth. I have been "Diagnosed" with CMT at the age of 15 (20 now). I say Diagnosed in quotations because I am strongly suspect of medical malpractice. (You just have to trust me here. It was really poorly handled.)
CMT is a neurological disease characterized by loss of touch senstation and also progressive muscle weakness.
The gene for CMT was never found in multiple blood tests, I show little to no signs. You would say I didn't have it if I didn't have a piece of paper saying so.
Of course, I will not lie about this in my history. I am more worried about the words on the paper than how I am affected. It's like breaking a finger at 10, and then at 20 your medical history saying "Broken Bones".

2: Kidney Stones. I've had two kidney stones, one at 12 and another at 16. These were the results of poor diet, and I have since fixed that problem and have not had kidney issues since.

3: Broken bones. I have broken my foot a couple times 12-14, nothing major just hairline fractures. Healed just fine, hell I was walking on it a couple days after.

4: Dental History. I don't believe it would, but does past dental work impact anything? I have a bridge.

5: Hyperflexability. I also have Hyperflexability in my joints, basically imagine I'm double jointed everywhere. This gives me no weakness, but it does look pretty weird and I'm afraid it will be seen as more of an issue than it really is.

6: Headaches. Lastly, I'm susceptible to minor headaches. But they don't bother me that much. Nothing makes them worse, and sometimes I even forget that they are there. Again this is a case where I'm more concerned about what they see on the records than if the problem actually affects me.

I'm sure all of this makes me look like a liability and it might. I don't whine or complain about any of it and I don't believe it hinders me. Maybe I'm in denial, maybe everyone has issues like these. I don't claim to be Marine material, but I want to be.

You're not doctors, but you are Marines. You know what I have to be up for, what tests I have to pass. Am I a lost cause, or is there hope? Feel free to tell me I'm not cut out for it, maybe I'm not.

They say don't enlist to prove something to anyone. I'm not. I'm want to prove everything to myself.

USMC 2571
09-28-14, 08:25 PM
1. Your whole attitude is really refreshing.
2. PM a recruiter on here, username is huklebuk
3. I would say that back in my day, which was a lot of days ago, there might not be any problem.

I would think that the Corps would or should be more concerned with how these various things affect you NOW---but you know how things are nowadays.

Please keep us updated right here on your thread as you meet with the recruiter. I don't care what anyone tells you, I think you'd make a fine Marine.

MattDS
09-28-14, 08:40 PM
I will message him, thank you!

I am far off from enlisting, still working to undo 15 years of bad habits; but I'll be sure to update when I find out. Hopefuly with good news.

USMC 2571
09-28-14, 08:44 PM
Whenever it is, I hope they let you enlist. Good luck!

MattDS
09-28-14, 09:17 PM
Also I don't mean to bump, but I made a typo that completely ruined my final words and I can't find an edit button anywhere.

I said I'm instead of I in: I'm want to prove everything to myself.

If I can find an edit button I'll add blind to the list.

USMC 2571
09-28-14, 09:19 PM
Didn't even notice the typo, Matt---and the edit button on this site works, but does not allow much time, even five minutes later is too late to go back and correct....unlike some other sites where you can edit a week later.

MunkyVsRobot
09-29-14, 03:10 AM
Id say most likely DQ cant say perma but at least initial DQ especially with the Headaches and stuff. You will require quite a bit of paperwork from your medical history to get your medical waiver if they even try going that far.

Baker1971
09-29-14, 06:10 PM
Initial DQ. A lot of waivers needed. Need a persistent recruiter for sure to go all the way with you.

Phantom Blooper
09-29-14, 06:16 PM
Get ALL your medical history together...make copies.....go see...don't call/text a recruiter......stay on them...tell them that they had the technology to rebuild you....now you want to serve your country.....it doesn't hurt to try.....even if the answer is no....

MattDS
09-29-14, 11:12 PM
Oh what I would give to be "rebuilt".

My hopes aren't high, I do expect to be initially DQ'd, but I'm in no rush. I've got maybe 6 months or so before I'd feel confident psychically to push myself through bootcamp anyway, maybe enough time to get it squared away?

My family would like me to look into other branches, but I'll be honest. Anything less than the Marine Corps would not feel as fulfilling. I've read about how difficult the training is, and I feel envy.

To go through that, and to see the kind of man I am on the other side; would be a privilege. I don't plan on giving up until I have a 20 page legal document in front of me with the word Never stamped across the front at least twice.

I will find out soon, hopefully it will be a pleasant surprise. It might be a frustrating process, but if a little frustration could stop me--I'm not meant to be a Marine.

Baker1971
09-30-14, 11:01 AM
Just keep going forward.