PDA

View Full Version : Is it a good decision to join the Reserves?

mrc243
09-08-14, 06:53 AM
I am new to this forum but I have seen many questions about joining the reserves. The only reason I ask if because Active duty is not really a choice for me now. I have a full time career for USPS but I would love to do something great in life. Is there any problem joining without prior service and has anyone regret going Reserve?

joseywales
09-08-14, 07:17 AM
No problem with no prior service. PM a member here named josephd

mrc243
09-08-14, 08:52 AM
Thank you

josephd
09-08-14, 12:56 PM
I will go ahead an post on here as well as the PM I sent you...

You will regret joining the reserves if you expect to do all the things that the active duty counterpart do(deployments, sea periods, training, etc). You are required to do all the same annual training that active duty guys do(PFT, CFT, Rifle qual, classes, etc) but you do it on short drill weekends. Reserves is more of an obligation than most think especially once you pick up some rank.....for example I spend about 1-2 days a week outside of drill weekend taking care of my Marines and issues they are having.

My honest opinion......if you are questioning it, don't do it. Or you just haven't done enough research into it. I see too many guys join the reserves thinking they get all these benefits from it and it'll be just like active duty, goin on deployments and such. Well that's just not the case. Most of the Marines I have under me regret joining, it just has become an inconvenience to them. the cost/benefit ratio is not in their favor.

I wouldn't be doing my job if I was on here telling you how great it is or can be.

All that said, the reserves is what you make of it. There is some good training opportunities and such but if you have a "career" there is no way you'd have the time to go do some of it.

MunkyVsRobot
09-10-14, 10:29 PM
Joseph really does have some great advice for you there.

Baker1971
09-12-14, 10:14 AM
Great stuff right there Joseph :thumbup:

joseywales
09-12-14, 11:40 AM
Generally he gives good sound advice, one time though, he told a friend of a friend he had no time to accept friendship requests on here, had better things to do with his time, now THAT is a Marine! And a tough one. But hes a pretty good guy, all around.

Baker1971
09-13-14, 11:05 AM
He said that ? " A Friend in need is a Friend indeed "...

He seems knowledable from what i've read on the forum.