PDA

View Full Version : Future enlistee

Kevin1536
09-01-14, 04:59 AM
I was interested in enlisting and had a couple questions. I was interested in MP work, and wanted an opinion on if that transitions well in to civilian law enforcement of government agencies? Also how long are Marines stationed stateside before either A) deployment or B) moving to a different base in the states or somewhere like Japan?

Phantom Blooper
09-01-14, 05:33 AM
Also how long are Marines stationed stateside before either A) deployment or B) moving to a different base in the states or somewhere like Japan?Depending on your MOS schools length....and then hitting your unit in the Fleet or Wing..... Hypothetically you can have a hand carry...check in today.... get issued gear...weapon... and leave tomorrow . As far as Japan goes when you are finishing up your school you may get a dream sheet.....requesting overseas. And they could cut orders to send you there just like my above statement.....no one likes to hear this but it is the needs of the Marine Corps...where your MOS is needed and are you still breathing.....have a pulse and a warm body. However you may stay in CONUS with the same unit for your whole tour with maybe overseas cruise deployments.....it all depends on your MOS and how critical they need you. Basically it all depends......where you are and how many slots need filled.

irpat54
09-01-14, 08:30 AM
exactly, what Bloop said... :thumbup:

joseywales
09-01-14, 10:09 AM
True. Unknown until it happens, as to where you go.

Kevin1536
09-01-14, 04:29 PM
What is the minimum years for enlistment? Does it vary for each MOS? I'm 21 and would like to do this then work in law enforcement.

Phantom Blooper
09-01-14, 04:35 PM
You can search for an exact answer on Google ...but I have heard 4-6 years. If you do 4 or 5 active then the rest of your time inactive obligation for 6 years. Meaning that active will be first to go....then activate reserves....then inactive could be activated in a threat or national emergency.

Phantom Blooper
09-01-14, 05:41 PM
I should have stated do your six and be done with your obligation.

MunkyVsRobot
09-05-14, 01:28 AM
Also dont pretend like PMO translates directly into Law Enforcement (civillian) I'm sure it helps but from a number of people I've spoken to it is different.

Kevin1536
09-05-14, 09:55 AM
So I was wondering, I'm sure I will. But if I qualify for an MP what are the chances I actually get that MOS? I've heard you are never guaranteed the job you want. It's really all I've been interested in along with logistics. PLEASE HELP!

USMC 2571
09-05-14, 09:58 AM
Kevin, PM munky, as he might not wander in here for a couple of days. This way you'll get a reply, also PM josephd....those two guys give out good info, consistently so.
You might want to PM a recruiter on here, huklebuk

MunkyVsRobot
09-05-14, 05:47 PM
Needs of the Marine Corps determines everything. There are times when you get to choose your MOS IE if you are reserves since you wont be doing your job often they let you pick.

I got a selection for intel on what i wanted to do the one i wanted wasnt available I wanted 0231 so needs of the Marine Corps gave me 0261 im actually happier that i got 61 than 31. But just be sure you are happy with the entire field you have chosen you could be a dog handler you could get stuck checking IDs at the front gate. The Marine Corps guarantees you a field not the MOS in all reality we are lucky they even do that in a world without guarantees at least they give you one.