PDA

View Full Version : Chances of juvenile felony getting a waiver?

AAC03
07-27-14, 10:02 PM
So back when I was about 13(I'm 18 now) and still in 8th grade, sometime along the morning when I was still in school, I went into the bathroom, wasting time as dumb kids in school do. I had my friend's lighter on me as I was going to give it back to him that day as he left it at my house the previous day(I had no intention of using it, nor was I a smoker.) Well, another friend of mine also in the bathroom with me at the time saw me fidgeting around with it and made the overly intelligence idea to suggest and give me a piece of paper to light. Me being the genius that I was decided "sure!"

I lit the paper, left it on fire for maybe a second or two and kicked it out. Shortly after, the security guard came in there and saw the remains of a burnt piece of notebook paper and we all had to empty out our pockets, at which time they found the lighter on me and I was boned. Fast forward a little bit and I plead guilty to reckless burning (class D felony in my state, lowest class) to which I was told that at 18, it'd be gone or something along those lines(which as everyone here probably knows, isn't the case when it comes to any government job). I got 6 months of probation and some hours of community service, which I completed without a hitch. It was a stupid decision, no doubt about it, but I've never been involved in any sort of issues with the law afterwards, finished middle and high school accordingly and so on.

I know that currently the military is downsizing across all branches and we're not in any immediate conflicts. A problem like this wouldn't even be an issue in 2006 or 7, I'd bet. Now, I'm not so sure. Any opinions? what are the chances of a moral waiver?

TL;DR

1: Convicted of reckless burning(Class D, lowest class felony in my state) as a juvenile back when I was 13 for lighting a piece of paper on fire in my school bathroom. No damage, no one hurt.

2:No issues with the law afterwards.

Chances of a moral waiver?

josephd
07-28-14, 01:00 AM
go talk with a recruiter

AAC03
07-28-14, 01:02 AM
go talk with a recruiter

I would just like some opinions and perhaps recollections from others with previous encounters/circumstances.

Baker1971
07-28-14, 08:42 AM
You'd be hard pressed to find anyone with a situation like you here or at least I don't think they would admit it on an " Open Forum ".

Phantom Blooper
07-28-14, 09:44 AM
When I was a Private..I burned down a shiathouse with JP5 and a heat tab. Got NJP..so I can't help you but I would do as suggested...go see a recruiter.

USMC 2571
07-28-14, 10:07 AM
The OP posted this on 6-28-14 under the thread title MEPS FINGERPRINTS. Described the fire incident etc etc--we already went over this, I thought it sounded familiar.

USMC 2571
07-28-14, 10:41 AM
Actually, this thread is a little different. The first one was about MEPS and fingerprints and disclosing info, while this deals w felony waiver, so I stand corrected even though some of the material is the same in both threads.

Talk to a recruiter---is the only answer any of us can give you.

AAC03
07-28-14, 10:41 AM
The OP posted this on 6-28-14 under the thread title MEPS FINGERPRINTS. Described the fire incident etc etc--we already went over this, I thought it sounded familiar.

Indeed although this is a bit of a different question. Still, if this is considered spam, I'll delete it if necessary.

Just saw your second post. I'll see what happens. And I'm still going to most likely follow through with your previous advice. Just wanted to get some type of opinions.

USMC 2571
07-28-14, 10:49 AM
Nope, my mistake.....all is well. I just have to learn how to read.

FoxtrotOscar
07-28-14, 11:59 AM
When I was a Private..I burned down a shiathouse with JP5 and a heat tab. Got NJP..so I can't help you but I would do as suggested...go see a recruiter.

AWESOME PB.... Any pictures...??? :beer:

Baker1971
07-28-14, 01:33 PM
Hahahahahaha !!!

AAC03
07-28-14, 01:45 PM
You'd be hard pressed to find anyone with a situation like you here or at least I don't think they would admit it on an " Open Forum ".

You mean a situation where someone was admitted entry into the Marine Corps with a low class felony? Or that no one would admit to it due to embarrassment? Sir, I regret what I did, it was obviously a conscious decision so it wasn't a mistake. Just a bad decision and a momentary lapse in judgement. But there have been people admitted into the Corps with more than what I have. Different circumstances in other people's situations, and the standards now are different from a few years ago, but would I get turned away in my situation? Would the powers that be really look at my profile and think that I'm a risk/hazard to the Marine Corps? Again, just looking for opinions. I know that all cases are different and no answer is a definite but just looking for thoughts and input is all.

Thank you to all who have served.

USMC 2571
07-28-14, 01:52 PM
THE number one problem is downsizing/selectivity-----because of that, the Corps (and any private corporation etc) can be and is so selective it's incredible....simply because they CAN be--it's a luxury they can afford.
It's like if you ran a company, you had 20 job openings, you have 300 applicants.

So you sit at your desk and take a look. It's human nature to not pay much attention to anyone with issues of any kind, big or small.

Baker1971
07-28-14, 01:57 PM
I agree with you. In your thread you asked for input from anyone who went thru the same circumstance. Quote, "I would just like some opinions and perhaps recollections from others with previous encounters/circumstances."

It was confusing so I thought you meant about the fire situation after reading your post 3 times.

Best of luck to you and I'll let others chime in.

AAC03
07-28-14, 01:58 PM
THE number one problem is downsizing/selectivity-----because of that, the Corps (and any private corporation etc) can be and is so selective it's incredible....simply because they CAN be--it's a luxury they can afford.
It's like if you ran a company, you had 20 job openings, you have 300 applicants.

So you sit at your desk and take a look. It's human nature to not pay much attention to anyone with issues of any kind, big or small.

Indeed. Can't tell you how many times I've seen that simile and it's very relevant. Of course if the next big war happened (knock on wood) then that would most likely change, but nothing major going on currently. If I was my age now back in 07 or something along those lines, probably wouldn't be an issue.

I guess it'd depend on the recruiting stations and their quotas? Not sure and I won't try to assume that I know. I know that depending on the severity of the case, the request for a waiver gets sent higher up in the chain of command. I've heard that at some point if the request gets up to a certain level, it pretty much just gets discarded.

USMC 2571
07-28-14, 02:02 PM
Every time we delve into this subject I have to control myself.
Plenty of good would-be Marines are turned down for reasons that in 1963 would have been considered laughable.
I joined AFTER DROPPING OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL. The Corps didn't even raise an eyebrow, much less make me get a GED and 15 college credits. I got a GED 2 or 3 years into my 4 year enlistment. But that stuff made no difference. I still got two Medals of Honor and a Navy Cross. Disregard that last piece of fiction AAC

AAC03
07-28-14, 02:03 PM
I agree with you. In your thread you asked for input from anyone who went thru the same circumstance. Quote, "I would just like some opinions and perhaps recollections from others with previous encounters/circumstances."

It was confusing so I thought you meant about the fire situation after reading your post 3 times.

Best of luck to you and I'll let others chime in.

Oh I see. What I meant by circumstances, I meant people with perhaps low class felonies(as I doubt high class ones probably wouldn't even be remotely bothered with). Non-violent, nothing damaged, non-drug related. That sort of thing.

Thank you for the best wishes, Sir.

AAC03
07-28-14, 02:08 PM
Every time we delve into this subject I have to control myself.
Plenty of good would-be Marines are turned down for reasons that in 1963 would have been considered laughable.
I joined AFTER DROPPING OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL. The Corps didn't even raise an eyebrow, much less make me get a GED and 15 college credits. I got a GED 2 or 3 years into my 4 year enlistment. But that stuff made no difference. I still got two Medals of Honor and a Navy Cross. Disregard that last piece of fiction AAC

The recruiter that I'm currently talking to told me just about the same thing, regarding the whole "No tolerance" policy type thing. Told me he's tired of seeing people get hammered down over small things that occurred while they're barely even a teenager. It's unfortunate but the truth. The blame would obviously fall on me for committing the act in the first place. Still, joining the Marine Corps is something I've always wanted to do since I was probably not even up to the height of the knee caps of the people posting on here! I hope that one dumb decision doesn't prevent me from doing so, but only time will tell.

USMC 2571
07-28-14, 02:10 PM
I would say you have A chance. But no one here is qualified to even begin to tell you what kind of a chance. Only a recruiter can do that. You can PM Huklebuk, a recruiter who is on here from time to time. Let us know what he says, if he gets back to you, and keep us posted with all this stuff....it's interesting. And it's sad, to see people who want to be Marines, turned away because of the times in which they live. Downsizing, etc.......and, even if someone got in, their chances of being allowed to stay for a career would be extremely precarious, not like the old days where someone who wanted to stay in for 20 could do so, no questions asked, provided he or she had no noteworthy disciplinary or other issues. Those days are gone, and so are the days of just joining up because you want to. When I went in there were 190,000 Marines! I don't know what the total strength is now, but it's not 190,000. Times change, society changes, the Corps changes.

USMC 2571
07-28-14, 02:16 PM
This is extremely important now, what I'm going to tell you.
If you get turned down, it will not necessarily be because the incident you were involved in was deemed on a par with the Great Chicago Fire.

It will be because many other applicants didn't set a piece of paper on fire.
So don't think the Corps sees you as this dangerous felon. That's simply not the case.

AAC03
07-28-14, 02:17 PM
I'd like to assume I'd have a chance as well. It was juvenile, I completed all orders by the court (6 months probation, certain amount of community service) with no problem. Even had low supervision...

USMC 2571
07-28-14, 02:25 PM
I've practiced criminal law in inner-city Boston courts now for 33 years, and if you include the prosecution side, that would be from 1979 to today, and your case is a little on the less serious side? to say the very least. It is so non-serious it's incredible, but yet it's AN ISSUE....like having a small tattoo, it's there.

USMC 2571
07-28-14, 02:26 PM
But anyway----hang in there, keep trying, don't get discouraged, PM us, I gave you my regular email address, keep us posted.

AAC03
07-28-14, 02:32 PM
Boston? Not too far from where I reside in Connecticut! <br />
<br />
And yes, in the state of Connecticut, I just about got the lowest felony you could possibly get. I've heard jokes from just about everyone...

USMC 2571
07-28-14, 02:38 PM
Motion to Revise and Revoke. The original attorney should do it. I had a guy who had a license to carry firearms, had it 20 years, renewed every 4 years. Then all of a sudden some juvenile charge was...

AAC03
07-28-14, 02:42 PM
Damn that's ridiculous. Always funny how something law related can come around to bite you in the ass. <br />
<br />
What are the chances of it being approved and dropped to a misdemeanor? I'm sure there are...

USMC 2571
07-28-14, 02:43 PM
I can't do it for you, and I can't give you detailed legal advice, only to say that a Motion to Revise and Revoke might be your best option.
PM me for a second again.

Phantom Blooper
07-28-14, 05:23 PM
AWESOME PB.... Any pictures...??? :beer:I don't have any..however CID and NIS may have some in archives.

Baker1971
07-29-14, 08:12 AM
;)

MunkyVsRobot
07-29-14, 03:22 PM
Actually, this thread is a little different. The first one was about MEPS and fingerprints and disclosing info, while this deals w felony waiver, so I stand corrected even though some of the material is the same in both threads.

Talk to a recruiter---is the only answer any of us can give you.

thought it sounded familiar to.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?117856-MEPs-Fingerprints

Im not a recruiter but im pretty sure you have about a snowballs chance in getting a felony waiver.

If you have a felony you are not allowed to be in posession of a fire arm for one so you wouldnt even be able to pass recruit training.

and second with how many applicants there are and how many boat spaces there are its looking bad to go for you.

but thr route you need to take would be talking to your recruiter, which in your last post you said you had returned from MEPS so youve already started the process.

Which leads to another question you said in the last post you didnt say anything to MEPS about it, did they find it during your investigation? If so IMHO you have 0 chance of getting in and probably risk getting a fraudulent.

AAC03
07-29-14, 04:30 PM
Yeah I know all about the gun laws and felons can't exactly own guns. Although my PO told me that pretty much once I turn 18, all this stuff goes out the window(hence why he told me that I...

USMC 2571
07-29-14, 05:26 PM
Problem is, months after someone enlisted, they may do further checking re a security clearance, then they cross-check the info they got, criminal record etc and more, against your original...

Baker1971
07-29-14, 05:43 PM
And when it falls, it falls hard. Not to mention you put all your stuff in an open forum for all to read. Should have kept it in PM's with Dave like he has been doing with you.

USMC 2571
07-29-14, 06:19 PM
Jimmy, we're in the process of trying to modify what was done in court etc etc thru a bunch of different possible avenues. Hopefully it'll work out. As you know, we see some here who we feel it would be nice if they had a chance to enlist. Definitely some more than others.

For the most part we limit it to PMs.

Phantom Blooper
07-29-14, 06:43 PM
I agree with the above....every time I look at a country outhouse or a port-a-john I get sweaty palms and then nightmares! It still haunts after 40 plus years!

USMC 2571
07-29-14, 07:11 PM
hahahaha, that is hilarious, PB----this thread has more angles and tangents than a geometry textbook.

joseywales
07-29-14, 08:15 PM
Keep trying and things will work out one way or another. Always refreshing to see a young person trying to serve his country. Stay with it. Good luck!

Baker1971
07-30-14, 07:49 AM
Best of luck for sure. Keep on Keeping on. Stay the course. Things happen. If anyone can help you out it's Dave :thumbup:

Phantom Blooper
07-30-14, 08:16 AM
If anyone can help you out it's Dave :thumbup:Yep...sure wish I knew Dave 40 plus years ago...I'd be a little richer....and might not have quite as many psycho problems! Not..................

Marine1011
07-30-14, 08:18 AM
OP, hang in, and see what you can do about your situation, lke your already doing. good luck to you, son