PDA

View Full Version : New Dishes in the MRE

thedrifter
12-30-03, 08:36 PM
MRE

Jacksonville Daily News
Dec 29, 2003

Troops in the field about to grab a meal, ready to eat combat ration might want to choose the "Jamaican pork chop," the "pasta with alfredo sauce" or the "beef with mushrooms." These entrees will soon be gone from the MRE inventory, to be replaced by new dishes from food technologists at the U.S. Army Soldier Systems Center at Natick, Mass. New this year are pot roast with vegetables, barbecue pork ribs and vegetable manicotti. Also on tap are cajun rice with sausage, a veggie griller in barbecue sause and jalapeno-laced macaroni and cheese. New side dishes are New England clam chowder and a carbohydrate-fortified applesauce.

Troops with a sweet tooth will soon be able to bite into two new cookies, one a vanilla waffle sandwich and the other, chocolate mint; peanut butter and crispy versions of M&M candies; and almond poppy seed and pumpkin pound cakes.

In 2005, look for chicken fajitas with tortillas, a cheese and vegetable omelet, penne with tomato sauce and sloppy joes. Also to be introduced are hash browns with bacon and a blueberry-cherry cobbler.

First-strike rations

"Ration stripping" they call it when forward-deployed combat troops jettison all but the most essential items from their Meals, Ready to Eat so they don't have so much to carry as they set out on a mission.

In response, Natick is developing the "first-strike ration" specifically for short-term use by warfighters during the first days of conflict. First-strike rations are lighter and more compact than standard MREs. A single pouch holds a full day's food supply and weighs about 21/2 pounds. By comparison, three MREs weigh in at about 2 pounds heavier.

The new rations aren't intended for noncombat operations or field training exercises. Current plans call for the first-strike rations to be fielded by 2007.

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Doc Crow
12-31-03, 08:34 AM
Man how things change

Sparrowhawk
12-31-03, 11:07 AM
I would re-enlist for that one... LOL

Shooter
12-31-03, 12:13 PM
I always liked the cake in C-rats, it might not have been good, but it came from my hometown. Who ever thought to read the tops of the cans???