Doc Crow
12-30-03, 08:46 AM
The 10 Dumbest Quotes of 2003 <br />
<br />
<br />
Current Results <br />
<br />
<br />
#10: &quot;I think that gay marriage should be between a man and a woman.&quot; —Arnold Schwarzenegger, during the California recall campaign <br />

thedrifter
12-30-03, 09:20 AM
Funniest news stories of 2003

Posted: December 29, 2003
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Holy smokes!

This year just flew by. So it's time to recount the events of 2003 before another war breaks out and no one has time to laugh. So sit back, enjoy yourself, and get that image of Britney Spears kissing Madonna out of your head.

Or don't. That's none of my business.

War is hell, and funny as hell

There's no question the top news event of 2003 was Operation: Iraqi Freedom, but to many anti-war women, opposition meant much more than carrying picket signs. It meant getting naked.

Leave it to the fruitcakes in New York City and West Marin, Calif., to strip themselves of all clothing and use their bodies to spell out messages such as – I kid you not – "NO bUSH." I can only assume they're referring to our president.

An account of the "New York strip" posted on the Bare Witness website, states: "As we lay in the snow we screamed sentiments like 'Read my lips, Bush!'"

I couldn't make this stuff up. News just doesn't get much better than that.

But a careful examination of the photo reveals the letter b is not capitalized, so the slogan actually reads "NO bUSH." Yes, irony can be pretty ironic.

The crowning glory in the "bush" theme came when Saddam Hussein was finally caught sporting his new Rip Van Winkle look in the "spider hole."

Maybe it's just me, but I thought I saw someone on a street corner recently bearing a striking resemblance and carrying a cardboard sign reading, "Will terrorize for food."

'I triple guarantee you'

The comedic star of the war itself was the loveable liar, Muhammed Saeed al-Sahhaf, also known as "Baghdad Bob" and "Comical Ali" for his entertaining way of stretching the truth.

Sahhaf became an international star in the final days of fighting, making hard-to-believe claims about Iraqi successes and U.S. failures, including:

"Let the American infidels bask in their illusion";

"My feelings – as usual – we will slaughter them all";

"We have placed them in a quagmire from which they can never emerge except dead";

"God will roast their stomachs in hell at the hands of Iraqis";

"I triple guarantee you, there are no American soldiers in Baghdad."

Sahhaf's image was snagged by advertisers to push budget Irish airline Ryanair and an Australian ski park, and a U.S. dollmaker added "Bob" to its collection of newsmaker figurines.

In an April WorldNetDaily column, I wondered if Democrats and the Hollywood elite could improve their public image by being a bit more "Sahhaf-spoken."

Follow the link for more stories........
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35762

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Sparrowhawk
12-30-03, 10:03 AM
Jessica Simpson, on the MTV show, the Newlyweds.

Jessica asks her husband to explain the flaky white meat inside a can of Chicken of the Sea.

"Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish?"

RichLundeen
12-30-03, 12:24 PM
Oh man, those are good one's! As for Jessica Simpson, who the heck is she?

I don't watch TV very often, outside of sports, but she must be dumb as a rock!

Semper Fi

Rich

Doc Crow
12-30-03, 04:08 PM
I remember that statement was all over the news here or at least talk radio

thedrifter
12-30-03, 07:32 PM
-The Year 2003 in Catch-Phrases

The Year in Catch-Phrases

Like every year, 2003 brought its own set of additions to the lexicon. Here are some of the terms we found rolling off our tongues in the past 12 months:

Bennifer: The combination of Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez, who teased stargazers all year with their "When will they do it?" and then "Will they or won't they do it?" wedding (they never did it). Fans almost mercilessly turned against Bennifer when their first movie together, "Gigli," bombed at the box office.

Metrosexual: An urbane, sophisticated, heterosexual man who is concerned with his skin, hair, clothes and other less-than-macho pursuits. This is a straight guy with a queer eye.

The Governator: Combines the previous job of actor Arnold Schwarzenegger -- star of "The Terminator" and other action movies -- with his current job as governor of California.

"TiVo It": Refers to recording a television show onto the hard drive of a TiVo or competing brand of digital video recorder, which is like a VCR with a hard drive.

Punk'd: To be fooled, and named after the title of actor Ashton Kutcher's popular MTV celebrity prank show. The word officially entered the slang dictionary when the famously private David Letterman, pressed for details about his girlfriend, said to Kutcher's girlfriend Demi Moore, "I feel like I've been Punk'd."

Friendster: Like an online dating site ... but for friends. The site allows people to form networks with their friends, their friends' friends and so on, and is largely used as a hook-up vehicle for single, urban 20-somethings. Several celebrities have confessed to being Friendster addicts, and the site was so popular this year that it was often impossible to sign on.

Go Bags: Also called ready kits, Go Bags contain emergency supplies such as water, non-perishable food, flashlights, AM/FM radios and first-aid kits. Meant for preparedness in a natural or manmade disaster, the government pushed the kits in a national ad campaign this year.

SARS: Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, or the viral respiratory illness first reported in Asia in February that spread to North America, South America, Europe and Asia and caused many Americans to fear flying and Chinese food. Eight cases were confirmed in the U.S. as of Oct. 1, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Push Presents: Also called baby baubles, they are gifts from husband to wife upon the birth of a baby -- usually expensive jewelry.

Words of War

Embedded reporters: Journalists cleared and trained by the U.S. military to accompany troops on or near the front lines during Operation: Iraqi Freedom.

Shock and Awe: The name of the targeted strike meant to kill Saddam Hussein that kicked off the Iraq war, it refers to an overwhelming use of military force that is meant to "shock and awe" an enemy into surrender.

War blog: Web diaries kept by soldiers, reporters and civilians describing the build-up, events and aftermath of the Iraq war.

Most-Wanted Cards: A set of 55 playing cards issued by the U.S. Army to soldiers during and after the Iraq invasion. Each card displayed a high-ranking member of Saddam Hussein’s regime, with Saddam himself as the ace of spades. Modeled on a similar deck used in Europe during World War II, the deck was quickly knocked off for sale on street corners and the Internet.

Doc Crow
12-31-03, 01:17 PM
Good Lord has the entire world gone to Ebonics of some kind

lurchenstein
01-01-04, 12:08 PM
Doc:
Maybe "dumbonics" would be more accurate.

firstsgtmike
01-02-04, 07:20 PM
Doc,

"Good Lord has the entire world gone to Ebonics of some kind?"

Can you picture a classroom room filled with immigrants from various countries taking a course of "English for the Foreign Born", and the teacher is teaching Ebonics?

It would make a hell of 1/2 hour sitcom episode.

greybeard
01-04-04, 06:50 PM
Wasn't that "Welcome Back Kotter"?