PDA

View Full Version : Are My Reasons Good To Join?

brneira
05-23-14, 12:01 AM
Hello Marines,

My name is Brandon Neira, and I am 19-years-old. As of right now I am currently enrolled in college, however I plan to join the Marine Corps! My question is, should I join? I have a muscle disorder that is currently in remission, and I have been off meds for 7 months already with no complications! It has been a dream of my to be a fighter pilot in the Marines since I was about 7 or 8. I also want to join because, with my current situation, I want to be able to prove to myself, and everyone who doesn't have faith in me, that I have no physical or mental limitations, and what better way than joining the Marines! I also want to make a difference in, not only my life, but the world if at all possible in some way, shape, or form. Are my reasons good? Or are they not good enough? Thanks for any input!

-Brandon Neira

irpat54
05-23-14, 05:35 AM
your reasons sound good, but you need to talk to a recruiter on the Muscle conditions, and He or She will tell you if it is a DQ or not,, and what kind of info they will need from your Doctor(s), because if it is not an automatic DQ They will surely need to get a waver for you to enlist.

best of luck to you

ameriken
05-23-14, 11:40 AM
Good reasons but get your degree under your belt first, then look at joining. Your degree may give you better options including OCS, esp if you want to be a pilot. Don't quit college to join, you later may not go back to complete your degree.

That will also give some time to put your muscle disorder behind you rather than trying to join while you are 'currently' in remission.

Phantom Blooper
05-23-14, 03:22 PM
You are stating muscle disorder this is a very broad statement..it can go from cramps to paralysis. You need to contact a recruiter with your medical history and then go from there. I agree don't quit school to join the Marines....If you are qualified to serve....23 years old is still plenty of time to make a decent career. Best of luck!

Rocky C
05-23-14, 05:33 PM
Finish College. The United States Marine Corps will be waiting for you after you graduate.

Make the right decision...

Best of luck to you.

brneira
05-23-14, 09:37 PM
I apologize guys ( Marines ) I meant it as I'm going to join after college to become an officer. I understand that I can go to PLC during college, and be commissioned after graduation? That was my original plan, but I agree with ameriken, as far as giving time for my condition to be put behind me. And as far as the severity of my condition, it is called Polymyositis, which my immune system attacks my muscles as if they were foreign. It causes severe muscle weakness starting from the extremities and work towards the core, and possibly affecting the organs which can be fatal. As stated, it is in remission, with no appearant complications! Sorry for the confusion, and thanks again for the/any input!

-brneira

MunkyVsRobot
05-24-14, 10:04 AM
They do have a program where you can go to college have the Marine Corps pay for your college but you would have to go talk to an OSO about it. I know it exists but am not aware of the details.