PDA

View Full Version : I just want to become a Marine.

Drewblue
04-11-14, 12:44 AM
Hello everyone.

I'm 22, pretty happy with my life I work full time and take care of my daughter. The Marine Corps has always been a dream of mine it's all I think about everyday, becoming a warrior finally belonging and feeling like I'm part of something important in life.

I spoke to a recruiter the other day and I was told I can't enlist because of my 4 year old is this true?

I refuse to give up on this. It truly does mean a lot to me. My mindset will not let me give on this. Anyone that has insight on this please let me know.

Thank you.

irpat54
04-11-14, 05:38 AM
are you Married? or do you have someone that can take care of the Child while your away, and you will be away a lot..
You might want to contact our resident recruiter here, He is Hucklebuck, (man I sure hope I spelled it right or I will never hear the end of it,,lol)
He can answer your questions better then any of us, but I have heard of wavers for things like this, the really do want to make sure the Child is safe and secure fist..

Drewblue
04-11-14, 09:39 AM
No not married but keep a decent relationship with my child's mother. She's in good hands if I ever do get the chance to join she's old to enough to understand what's going on. How can I contact the resident recruiter on here? Iv heard of waivers too but from what I read I have to wait year or something like that. Thanks for the reply :)

Huklebuk
04-11-14, 09:40 AM
If you are married to your daughters mother, it is a waiver. If not, what you need to do is go down to the courthouse and give up custody/parental rights. You will need to have full visitation rights as well. Once that is done and the court signs off on it, you will have a 90 day wait until you can begin the enlistment process. There is a certain amount of faith and trust with whoever takes over your parental rights. This is the ONLY way it would be possible to enlist. For further elaboration please post follow up questions here so others with similar situations can read this.

irpat54: note the spelling of my handle... just sayin'... lol j/k!

Drewblue
04-11-14, 09:59 AM
We aren't married and I highly doubt well ever be married lol I don't mind giving full custody cause I trust my family and her mother , should I do all this before seeing the recruiter or wait on he tells me? Il do whatever I need to do I really want this.

irpat54
04-11-14, 01:47 PM
irpat54: note the spelling of my handle... just sayin'... lol j/k!

hahaha oh ya I got it now,,,lol,,

Rocky C
04-11-14, 04:30 PM
I would see the recruiter first before you begin this just in case there are other non-parental issues that need addressing also that might keep you from enlisting.

Best of luck to you. This is a huge decision.

Huklebuk
04-11-14, 08:45 PM
Rocky he said he saw one the other day. If he saw one we always ask the basic screening questions to make sure anyone is basically qualified. Based on this info I would say that he is otherwise qualified. I would say the op could clear this up so we know for sure.

Rocky C
04-12-14, 09:42 AM
Oh, I thought it read that he spoke to a Recruiter just about his daughter issue.
Understood Brother, thank you.

Drewblue
04-14-14, 05:57 PM
Thank you everyone.
Im going to just try a different recruiter hopefully I can find one that is willing to try me out.

Rocky C
04-14-14, 05:59 PM
Did you just talk about your Daughter or did you get screened ?

Drewblue
04-14-14, 06:05 PM
Screened meaning all the questions from that paper right ? If so yes I did.

Rocky C
04-14-14, 06:09 PM
Ok, good. Keep us posted and if need be stay in touch with Huklebuk here or if it's too personnal by PM.

Best of luck to you.

Drewblue
04-14-14, 08:38 PM
Il be sure to do that, thank you Rocky C

Drewblue
04-15-14, 11:47 PM
Quick update, turns out I do have to go through the court process and give up custody and parental rights to my daughter, I'm starting all this tmrw actually hopefully everything goes smooth and I get all this taken care of quik. Keep me motivated!

BrokeGrunt0369
04-17-14, 01:39 AM
I was a recruiter in San Diego for a few years - what they are saying is true and seems like you found that out. What did you get on the ASVAB? If you're an "Alpha" 50 or higher on the test then they (recruiters) are more likely to work with you. Don't take the wrong way or anything, it's just with the ways things are going,budget cuts, downsizing etc etc the standards have to be higher and they would rather work with someone who is "easier" to enlist and highly qualified. Not saying you're not. If I was you, I'd get up to speed on what you need to do and do it ASAP.

I also joined out of Long Beach back when the office was across the street on Pine back in 2001. Good luck and thank you for stepping up