PDA

View Full Version : A Poolee's Question

JulianA
03-07-14, 05:39 PM
Hello all Marines, veterans, poolees, friends, and wannabees!

Poolee Julian here coming back from inactivity as I will now be active in this community. So to make to this nice and short to get to the point. The MOS I have chosen is combat support (CE) as I leave to MCRD san deigo on May 15th 2014. I understand fully the field, duties, but I don't know how to get what I really want. My head recruiter counselor at my poolee station whom is a gunnery sergeant stated that when you get to my MOS school you volunteer once they ask for volunteers. The specific job I want is 1833 or even 1812. What can I do to have a better chance at getting one of these? Active duty Marines and retired Marines within this field all information and feedback would be appreciated. Thanks again everyone for your support!

Poolee Julian

josephd
03-09-14, 09:50 PM
ummm no.....each are completely different school houses on opposite sides of the country. 1833 is AAV's which is out of Del Mar, Camp Pendleton, CA....and 1812 is Tanks which is out of Fort Knox, Kentucky

You really don't get to decide at all, something in the 18xx field will be chosen for you based on needs of the Marine Corps. You will find out which one you are going to either at the end of boot camp or at SOI/MCT

irpat54
03-10-14, 05:01 AM
I do believe that after you are in you field for at least a year (I may be mistaken as to time) you can ask for a Lat, move and request the other field, and then go to that school, but then it will depend on how much time you have left on your enlistment and/or whether there is an opening, or you are willing to re-up for it, and on your cutting scores, if you can go or not.. lots of variables..

Tennessee Top
03-10-14, 08:30 PM
With today's budget restraints, the Corps is not going to pay to have someone sent to a formal MOS school, trained, sent to their first permanent duty station, and then just a year later allow them to be sent to a different formal MOS school, trained all over again, and then PCS'd to a new permanent duty station. There is no return on their investment from the initial MOS school. Best case scenario, and it's a very long shot, is a lateral move at the time of reenlistment if that is even approved.

USMC617
03-21-14, 03:24 AM
With the cut backs going on, Your best bet as already mentioned is to Lat move when it comes time to re-enlist. It's a bit more difficult then it use to be due to the budget.