PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of enlistment with knee surgeries.

Allecr3
01-13-14, 09:51 AM
I've had 2 ACL reconstructions in the past 5 years on the same knee. The reinjury was my fault for not properly rehabbing the knee repair. Second time around I have done it right and it is better than ever and I am not limited in any physical exercising/training. I badly want to join the Marine Corps and have done a ton of research and have talked to a lot of my friends who are former Marines. The guys I've talked to have told me to not even mention the surgery if I'm good physically. I don't like the thought of lying but I don't want to have to give up my dream. Is a medical waiver a possibility? What are punishments if you did lie and enlist but reinjure the knee during training/enlistment and becomes evident that previous surgeries have occurred prior to enlistment? I don't want to give up this dream but I also do not want to put myself in any trouble either.

irpat54
01-13-14, 10:04 AM
I've had 2 ACL reconstructions in the past 5 years on the same knee. The reinjury was my fault for not properly rehabbing the knee repair. Second time around I have done it right and it is better than ever and I am not limited in any physical exercising/training. I badly want to join the Marine Corps and have done a ton of research and have talked to a lot of my friends who are former Marines. The guys I've talked to have told me to not even mention the surgery if I'm good physically. I don't like the thought of lying but I don't want to have to give up my dream. Is a medical waiver a possibility? What are punishments if you did lie and enlist but reinjure the knee during training/enlistment and becomes evident that previous surgeries have occurred prior to enlistment? I don't want to give up this dream but I also do not want to put myself in any trouble either.
1) if there are any indications of surgery, (like scars) they will ask about them, and they will find out anyway when the get your medical records, so it is better to be upfront on that.
2) yes you can get a medical waver, IE it is possible, you will probably need and they will ask for one, a full statement from your Doctor stating that everything i okay an you have no restrictions, then it is up to Headquarters Marine Corps
3)if you lie about it or just don't say anything, and they find out you could get into deep trouble for that,, so it is always best to tell the recruiter everything and let the waver process work and your recruiter work His or Her magic..

there are others here who know more about this then I do,, but that has been my experience with this type of thing,,

Allecr3
01-13-14, 10:10 AM
1) if there are any indications of surgery, (like scars) they will ask about them, and they will find out anyway when the get your medical records, so it is better to be upfront on that.
2) yes you can get a medical waver, IE it is possible, you will probably need and they will ask for one, a full statement from your Doctor stating that everything i okay an you have no restrictions, then it is up to Headquarters Marine Corps
3)if you lie about it or just don't say anything, and they find out you could get into deep trouble for that,, so it is always best to tell the recruiter everything and let the waver process work and your recruiter work His or Her magic..

there are others here who know more about this then I do,, but that has been my experience with this type of thing,,

Thanks for your input, I think honesty is the route I'm going to take. Just want as many experienced opinions as possible.

irpat54
01-13-14, 10:18 AM
No Problem,, Keep us posted and to how things turn out and Best of luck to you

Allecr3
01-13-14, 10:26 AM
Thanks and I will keep my progress posted.

ameriken
01-13-14, 11:46 AM
The guys I've talked to have told me to not even mention the surgery if I'm good physically.

What are punishments if you did lie and enlist but reinjure the knee during training/enlistment and becomes evident that previous surgeries have occurred prior to enlistment? Look up Article 83 of the UCMJ

Article 83—Fraudulent enlistment, appointment, or separation

“Any person who—

(1) procures his own enlistment or appointment in the armed forces by knowingly false representation or deliberate concealment as to his qualifications for that enlistment or appointment and receives pay or allowances thereunder; or

(2) procures his own separation from the armed forces by knowingly false representation or deliberate concealment as to his eligibility for that separation;
shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.”

So it's possible court martial and getting booted out the door.

While you and your friends may say you're physically fit according to your definitions, the Corps has it's own definition of physically fit based on the experience they have with certain injuries/illnesses and therefore it is imperative you let them know of the surgeries and let them decide and do a waiver. Lord knows I wouldn't want to be humping a hill and having someone who's got my 6 blowing out their knee.

I don't know specifically how blown ACL's are judged by MEPS, but IMO they are common enough that I personally don't think it would be an instant DQ.

But I concur with Pat, it is definitely something to mention to your recruiter so he knows what they're dealing with and can start you off going down the right and honorable path toward a good and honorable career.

Allecr3
01-13-14, 11:57 AM
Look up Article 83 of the UCMJ

So it's possible court martial and getting booted out the door.

While you and your friends may say you're physically fit according to your definitions, the Corps has it's own definition of physically fit based on the experience they have with certain injuries/illnesses and therefore it is imperative you let them know of the surgeries and let them decide and do a waiver. Lord knows I wouldn't want to be humping a hill and having someone who's got my 6 blowing out their knee.

I don't know specifically how blown ACL's are judged by MEPS, but IMO they are common enough that I personally don't think it would be an instant DQ.

But I concur with Pat, it is definitely something to mention to your recruiter so he knows what they're dealing with and can start you off going down the right and honorable path toward a good and honorable career.

I know both of you guys are right, and thanks for taking your time to put forth your input and opinion. I have already spoke to a recruiter but did not inform him of the knee in the initial questioning. I am over weight so I was unable to go further than taking the practice ASVAB. Do I approach the recruiter and let him know I was dishonest about previous surgery history due to fear of disqualification? Or how should I go about correcting the situation without harming my chances of enlisting?

irpat54
01-13-14, 12:51 PM
personally I would just mention it, no frills just tell Him,, if He needs to know why then be honest and forthcoming,, but never hide anything.. it will be found out eventually,, if it is medical they will find out when you take the physical..

Allecr3
01-13-14, 12:56 PM
personally I would just mention it, no frills just tell Him,, if He needs to know why then be honest and forthcoming,, but never hide anything.. it will be found out eventually,, if it is medical they will find out when you take the physical..

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. I will let him know when I go see him again.

irpat54
01-13-14, 12:57 PM
Good luck,