PDA

View Full Version : Law School After Enlistment

mart
01-12-14, 09:48 PM
Good evening Marines,

I have recently enlisted in the Marine Corps and will ship off after I graduate. I have never been more excited for anything in my life. That being said, I am also thinking about my future after the Marine Corps. I was wondering if there were any Marines out there that could please help me with some post Marine Corps planning. I have very high interest in Law and I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has gone to law school after the Marines and that could go please tell me anything about their path to get there. Thank you for your time.

Marty Dunleavy

Changster
01-13-14, 06:13 AM
Matt, I went the public policy route, so I can't provide too much insight for the law school route. That being said, you're time that you put into service is time well invested. Any route you take after your contracted obligation is typical of any other student attending school, except that you have REAL experience and the benefit of knowing first hand what service means. You'll find out that there are many folks who think they're leaders, but have never been tested and never have held a position of leadership. But, you'll have the real opportunity to be a leader and build character. Any course of education is entirely based on your motivation and interest. I would simply suggest that you focus on one thing at a time and that would be using your VA benefits to get a undergraduate in a field that is aligned towards a law degree.

josephd
01-13-14, 12:30 PM
Path to law school after the Marine Corps is no different than if you hadn't joined...

Go to a university for your undergrad(paid for by your GI Bill), then around your junior/senior year take the necessary steps and tests to apply to the law school of your choice, and wait for an acceptance

The Corps really has no bearing on this, if this is something you want you ahve to do it on your own.

Huklebuk
01-13-14, 09:54 PM
Use the TA to knock out some core classes while you are on active duty. That will leave some money for the gi bill to cover some of your law school at least.